View Full Version : Hinge material

04-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Need a little help. I'm trying to find a source for material to make the hinge tube for a brush hog mower where the wings fold. I need to repair one that the pin froze in the hinge tubes and broke the hinge pin.

The pin is available from Bush Hog but the tubes that are welded on the wing and the main frame that the pin goes through aren't serviced.

I've been searching on the net for a couple of hours and can't come up with anything in the way suppliers, so thought maybe someone here had some suggestions where to look. It's one inch id. but it's a lot thicker wall than pipe.

04-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Maybe look for DOM tube. Drawn over mandrel is seamless tube that comes in a variety of sizes and wall thicknesses. Whether it is thin wall or heavy wall like half inch thick the stuff is EXPENSIVE. Sometimes a local steel supplier knows which machine shops in the region have specific sizes in their shop.
That being said sometimes if the pieces are less then say 4 inches long you can have a machine shop drill and ream to size from solid bar.

04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Drill and ream as stated above if it is really heavy wall. Can you get a measurement on the wall of the original. Don't forget to put in grease zirks.

04-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks a lot lotechman and flatbustedbroke.
I think the DOM tubing may be exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't realize it was available in that many wall thicknesses.

Don't know whether the zirks are worth the time or not. The original had them but the problem is the don't do any good if they aren't used.:D