PDA

View Full Version : hello, i'm new and i want to learn welding :)

MrPotatoes
06-25-2007, 11:28 AM
hello, i'm new to all of this and i want to learn. i know there are different types for different jobs. there is MIG, TIG and Arc. i also think there is Gas welding but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

i wanted to get These DVD's (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=dvd&Nty=1&D=dvd&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial) to learn. i planned to get a Kit and gloves and a helmet. all cheap because i'd be learning.

anyone have any pointers that I could use? I would like to learn the type that I would need to know. Say I was to build some living room furniture or mayhaps I’d make some pretty metal jewelry or maypaps I’d make a brush bar or roll cage. What types would I need to know? What about learning a lot about automotive creations and fixes, What would I need to know for then?

Also, are these decent DVD’s? I don’t care if they are the best but as long as they teach something I can take it from there or find a forum and take it from there.

Thank you for your help

MicroZone
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
The easiest way to learn is OJT. Find a local welder and ask if you can hang out a few days per week, help him for free, in trade for learning. I don't think they have TIG videos at Northern but I could be wrong. Either way, good luck and welcome to Weldingweb!

MrPotatoes
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
i would do that but i'm a full time software engineer so 60 hours (work and driving *yikes*) if my time is taken up so i wouldn't be able to do that. nights and maybe weekends are the only times i can do this unfortunatly.

MicroZone
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Makes sense. If you're in the New England area, Zap holds a class once in a while on the weekends. He recently posted it, check it out. You will learn more in one day than several weeks of classes. Here is his post:

http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=12209&highlight=class

zapster
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the funhouse!..:waving:

...zap!

MrPotatoes
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
oh hell yeah!

is there anything i need to bring other than myself and some brews?

lewray
06-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I know what you mean about the time issue. I bought and still buy books and books and more books and vids. See Lincoln and Miller sites for books and lit.
I would read them while in bed and then try new techniques the next day.
You can be self taught its a long way to go and like microzone said OJT is the best . I also was fortunate to have a weldor that let me work for him for free with exchange for knowledge.

MicroZone
06-25-2007, 02:01 PM
oh hell yeah!

is there anything i need to bring other than myself and some brews?

Your helmet, gloves, an open mind and an empty stomach. We eat when there - cook out. Hope to see you there!

MrPotatoes
06-25-2007, 03:16 PM
i'll buy me some gloves and a helmet tonight or 2moro night and sign up to go learn some welding. yay!

WolfmanJack13
06-26-2007, 12:41 AM
If your looking for dvds try smartflix, I've rented some machining videos from them and they're were pretty good. All the videos have renters feedback on what they thought of them. They have lots of welding ones also(TIG, MIG, Stick O/A, etc). Way cheaper than buying and only place i know to rent technical dvds.:cool2: Hope this helps.
http://smartflix.com/