PDA

View Full Version : Weld Appearance by Machines

Thorton
06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
I often look at Lincolns Website & Millers' and I wonder how cool it would be if they had 'pictures' of welds produced by their Welding Machines.

Anyways, I have pictures of Welds I've done with my Various Welding Machines, because people have always asked & told me "can that old machine even tig weld?" "New technology is better, you should buy brand new instead of running that old rust bucket"

As a matter of fact, I had a friend out the other day, just helping to get his hand back into tig Welding, and he looks at my Miller Dynasty 200DX and he starts to pull out the cables and get that set up. But I corrected him and said "We're using the 56' Stubby, Way better Tig Welder!"

1st Picture - 2" Sch. 10 Stainless Steel 304L Pipe, Horizontal Weld, Inconel 625 as Filler Metal - Welding Using my 1956 sa200 Lincoln Stubby

2nd & 3rd Picture - 6" Sch. 10 Stainless Steel 304L Pipe, Vertical Weld, Inconel 625 as Filler Metal - Welded using my Miller Dynasty 200 DX (Now picture 3, which is a close up - The weld has this "Antique" "Old" look to how the molten metal solidified - this is "EXACTLY" how 7018 looks welded by my 1956 sa200 Lincoln Stubby. Sometimes, the weld produced by the 56' stubby looks like "Kerf Lines" from and oxy-acetylene torch on plate.

4th & 5th Pictures - Welded using my Miller Dynasty 200DX running off the 220Volt Plugin from my 2007 Lincoln Ranger 305G - Roll Weld

Thorton
06-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Picture 1 - Inconel 625 on Carbon Pipe - 2" sch. 160; Welded using Miller XMT 350
Picture 2 - Slip on Flange 18 or 20"? 24"? Anyways, welded using Miller XMT 350
Picture 3 - The very first day I bought my 1969 Sa 200 Lincoln Redface, I didn't know what to expect. This was one of the Welds holding the Machines base (I made a base for the machine out of tubing) To the deck of the Truck I had it on.
Picture 4 - Inconel 625 on Carbon Pipe; 6" sch. 40 - Miller Dynasty 200DX
Picture 5 - Inconel 625 on Carbon Pipe; 6" sch. 40 - 1956 Lincoln Stubby

1956 Lincoln Stubby - The Machine really seems to slow 'time' down, it really does.. Which works absolute wonders with Tig Welding.

1969' SA200 Lincoln Redface - I prefer the 56' over this one for Tig Welding, but I haven't done very much with this machine.

1967' sa200 Lincoln Redface - Absolute Best for downhand Welding on Piping. Very Easy to weld with. 56' Stubby is phenominal too, but try running a grinder off it, worse than running 400 feet of electrical cable off of a house breaker, no power!

2007 Lincoln Ranger 305G - Just as easy to weld with as the 67' for downhand pipe welding. The Hotpass is more concentrated, the arc is shorter, and the puddle is not as wide - therefore, you feel like you can run alot hotter. I never weld with this machine though; too biased; prefer the older ones better.

Miller Dynasty 200DX - I have nothing good to say about Millers. Subconsciously I can't weld with them to save my life. It's like Chevy vs. Ford - I feel inadequate running a Miller.

frieed
06-16-2012, 09:23 AM
I have no doubt you could do the same with the Dynasty. It's the weldor, not the welder that is the key...
I on the other hand can make an ugly bead with any welder, good or bad.
This is kinda like saying the snap-on wrenches build better engines...

Thorton
06-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Actually what I'm trying to do is get people to talk about the welding machines themselves and the arc characteristics which seperate 1 machine from another. Kinda like big block engines, I like to know what difference in the engine seperates it from another engine ultimately.

I believe long ago, someone mentioned something about the 'voltamp curve' or 'slope', but I've always been curious how one machine runs smooth, another crisp, another seems to solidify metal really slowly -

My 56' shorthood for some reason will literally slow down the weld - not so slow that you could literally see molten metal slowly dance across the filler to the pipe, but it's like welding with a time machine! It's weird.

I did a job test one time with a Miller Pipe Pro 450: the way I described it was (welding 6010) "It was like asteroids were falling, crashing into my weld; it would just gouge that massive keyhole in the pipe, then you'd step forward then step back into the whole, and it would fill up like Rocks were being dumped into it via dumptruck, any gouge marks/undercut on the inside of the pipe (Cause by the Lunar Crashings welding technology) - the molten metal would reach as far as it possibly could to greedily grab as much undercut as it could then cover it, before carrying on and gouging another keyhole ready to fill.

--I didn't like that machine. Never Welded with one like that before or since.

The old Acklands welding machines from the 1970's & 80's are awesome Tig Welding Machines. GRB in Edmonton uses them, and they're pretty cool, but arc welding is definately primitive. Which is perfect for learning how to weld.

The very best Tig welding machine I ever used was an old Miller Welding Machine - Not sure what exactly it was, but this thing had these big buttons and knobs, and when you'd turn it on, it would go "Bing" and loudly turn on. Wish I knew what it was, because it was the smoothest Tig welding machine I've ever used, like running a molten red sword through a pound of butter thats at room temperature.

Showdog75
06-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I've got a Miller Dynasty 200dx and a Lincoln sa200 so my reply is definitely not biased one way or the other but you will never weld those soda pop cans with a sa200.So the Dynasty wins versatility hands down. I'm sure if I were pipelining I'd be using the sa200 or a diesel equivalent.

shanghyd
06-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Never heard of a "Stubby"

Thorton
06-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Never heard of a "Stubby"

That's alright, not too many people would know what a "Detroit Screamer" would be., anyways, a "stubby" is just a fancy way of saying "shorthood" fro
Where I'm from, it's a very old term. May not be too common in other areas.