PDA

View Full Version : Question on refilling liquid filled gauges

737mechanic
08-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I know this isn't about welding but I was hoping someone here has come across this problem before or has some resource that I have not been able to find.

I have 3 new liquid filled gauges that I bought for real cheap because the liquid in them has slightly darkened. They are very usable the way they are but I would like to refill the liquid in them. There is a rubber plug in the top that can be pulled out to drain the fluid but I have been having a hard time finding some fluid to put back in them. I think the fluid is Glycerine. Does anyone know were I can get some Glycerine or any other fluid that will work in these gauges.

tresi
08-02-2007, 10:05 PM
You can get glycerine at most drug stores.

tresi
08-02-2007, 10:07 PM
You used to be able to get it at the drug store. I haven't checked in quite a while.

zapster
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Hold on now...

What are we using these guages for??

Nothing to do with welding I hope..:nono:

...zap!

737mechanic
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
LOL No they are for my air compressor when I start the project of converting it from horizontal to vertical. I thought I may as well put some nice gauges as well as a nice air filter and regulator on it also. I am going to have to weld up a completely new cage for the motor, pump and pulley.

So do you guys think the Glycerine at the pharmacy is the same stuff used in gauges. Here is a link to a bottle at walgreens. I think it is vegtable based and I was wondering if it would go bad.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100311&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod3156422#

tresi
08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I think it's the same. If you have doubts McMaster-Carr has 99% pure glycerine. Look under industrial chemicals.

zapster
08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a glyceryn guage in my toolbox thats doing nothing...

Want it?

...zap!

ChamferTrode
08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
mineral oil

737mechanic
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
The McMaster-Carr might be the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Zapster, what kind of gauge is it that you have ie: pressure range and size and how much do you want for it.

I was actually thinking about mineral oil but don't know how long it would last without turning colors.

enlpck
08-03-2007, 07:24 PM
You might find that the wrong fluid will damage the gauge- lift the markings from the face, etc.

zapster
08-03-2007, 09:02 PM
The McMaster-Carr might be the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Zapster, what kind of gauge is it that you have ie: pressure range and size and how much do you want for it.

I was actually thinking about mineral oil but don't know how long it would last without turning colors.

I will take a pic of it Monday when I get to the shop..
I'll use the dime as referance..:laugh:

No O.T. this week..
Too damn hot!!!!:blob2:

If its what you want then its yours no charge..

What am I going to do with it?

...zap!

Sandy
08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
You might find that the wrong fluid will damage the gauge- lift the markings from the face, etc.

I'm also thinking of anti-fungal additives, stabilizers and such too.

Hate to see a bunch of green or black crud in your gauge after a year or so.

mla2ofus
08-04-2007, 07:36 AM
IMO you don't need the liquid in the gauges for reading air pressures. The liquid filled gauges are for reading rapid and extreme hydraulic pressure changes that will shake the guts loose in a regular gauge.
JMHO,
Mike

737mechanic
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
IMO you don't need the liquid in the gauges for reading air pressures. The liquid filled gauges are for reading rapid and extreme hydraulic pressure changes that will shake the guts loose in a regular gauge.
JMHO,
Mike

I agree, like what you might find on a air compressor that is running and rattling the gauge to the point that you can't read it until it has stopped running. Hopefully these liquid filled gauges will be nice and smooth even when the motor is running. Not that it is that important to see the gauge when the compressor is running but I couldn't have gotten even a cheap non-liquid filled gauge as cheap as I got these so why not go liquid filled.

And thanks Zap that sounds like a winner.

Rob Page
08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
From an Instrument Technician: Most gauges are filled with glycerin, mineral oil, or Silicone based fill fluid. Probably Glycerine. If it is Glycerine, use an industrial rated product, not drug store stuff. I would try to contact the manufacturer regarding this first and verify the fill liquid. I am unaware of any additives we ever used in guages.

If vibration is a problem, remote mount the guages and use a short length of hose to dampen the vibration.

cheeseclip
08-06-2007, 02:05 AM
your a very generous man there zap. with the free classes and guages and what not. lol

zapster
08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
737 Mechanic..
Here's the pics I promised..

Might be a little extreme for what you need but it's yours for the asking..

If so then send me a p/m with your name and shipping address and we'll take care of it..:waving:

...zap!

737mechanic
08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Thats a nice gauge zap but I don't think I would be able to use one that high a pressure.

Thanks for offering to send it to me that was very generous of you.

zapster
08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
No problem bud..

Its doing no good to me...

Anyone need it??

...zap!

tresi
08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey zap I work hydraulics nearly every day and would put that guage to good use.

zapster
08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey zap I work hydraulics nearly every day and would put that guage to good use.

Well your the winner!!!
P/M Me with the blah blahs..:laugh:

Glad someone can get some use out of it..

...zap!

WANNAWELD
08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Well your the winner!!!
P/M Me with the blah blahs..:laugh:

Glad someone can get some use out of it..

...zap!

Got anything else you want to give away:laugh:

zapster
08-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Got anything else you want to give away:laugh:

I have an oceanfront cottage in Kansas...:laugh:

...zap!

tresi
08-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I have an oceanfront cottage in Kansas...:laugh:

...zap!
Would that cottage be near the old Navy base in Kansas? Yep, our government put a navy base in Kansas.

zapster
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Would that cottage be near the old Navy base in Kansas? Yep, our government put a navy base in Kansas.

:laugh:
Your guage is on the way..

...zap!

tresi
08-08-2007, 10:19 PM
:laugh:
Your guage is on the way..

...zap!
Thanks

tresi
08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Zap came through as he said he would. Thanks again