PDA

View Full Version : What I learned today

shaltac
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
1) Mig welding isn't stick welding.
2) Don't move the distance of your tip to "keep the wire in the puddle" it's not like a stick where the electrode changes length as you go. - It was funny my arm kept pulling back as the wire fed...
3) Just because there is a setting for it in the cover, doesn't mean it's a good idea. .035 core on 18ga. - I did get it to run a clean bead - out of shear will and some fiddling with the settings.
4) Tacking up the holes you make is only slightly easier with wire feed, and only because the arc strikes itself.
5) I've never had a stick spring half its length at me in a violent attack. Stupid freeking wire on a spool, getting it loaded into the welder, It attacked me I swear!
6) Hitting the sweat spot on wire is no less satisfying then stick.
7) It's amazing how Stick AC / DC+ / DC- / and core all have a different look and sound. I can't wait to hook the gas up and try that!

tresi
08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, so you got a chance to undo your first birds nest. If you're liking it so far you'll love solid wire with gas.

weldrwomn
08-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Try dropping a 60lb coil of wire and having it burst apart on impact...that will make your day fun! Just wait until you try TIG. Stick welding and Mig welding are not TIG welding...lol

shaltac
08-08-2007, 10:28 PM
I won't bother with TIG. It's only good for bonding razor blades. :P

tanglediver
08-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey razor bonding is big business and just coming into its own!:realmad:

WelderBoy
08-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I won't bother with TIG. It's only good for bonding razor blades. :P

Ya, useless process indeed. In fact, they are phasing out TIG, MIG, and Stick for JBWNAW (JB-Weld No Arc Welding).