PDA

View Full Version : Modifying HF sandblasting cabinet

Mantis
10-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I used my HF table top sandblasting cabinet for the first time operated it for about 3 hours all together. Here's a few things I noticed:

1. The hose that feeds the sand is way too flexible. It kept kinking and collapsing on itself.

2. The light isn't bright enough.

3. The gun leaks air no matter how you try to tighten things up.

4. It should have come with extra clear shields for the inside of the clear top.

However, it was adequate for what I needed to do. Dealing with the above issues just made the job take longer.

What mofifications have you made to your HF cabinet to make it better?

comp
10-07-2007, 02:55 AM
what have you been doing with it ??

Mantis
10-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Beadblasting some parts prior to a chemical metal finishing process.

comp
10-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Beadblasting some parts prior to a chemical metal finishing process.
glass beading ?,,,,,,,home plating ?? what type ?

Mantis
10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Blasting with fine glass beads prior to parkerizing.

bugman53
10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I have 2 a Grey benchtop model and a floorstand model

The benchtop mods

New feed and pressure hoses
A tempered Glass window( the stock plastic crap is junk)
Caulked the hell out of it.
New blast gun that dont leak or take 25cfm of air to run
And a filter so the shop vac dont suck all my glass bead out.

The flore model

New switch for the light
Caulked it
New hoses
Rebuild the gun, lapped all the joints, new orings and sealed it with gasket sealer.
Im going to move the air inlet to the back its in the way in the front.

They both are top notch machines now!

Mantis
10-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Bugman,

What kind of blast gun did you get and where did you get it?

steve45
10-10-2007, 01:13 AM
I have made a number of mods to my blast cabinet and it finally works pretty well. Mine came without a light, so that was the first mod. I put a flourescent tube in it.

I ordered a number of replacement protective sheets for the window, (they're only a dollar or so), but I was having trouble with dust settling on the glass. I was also getting media coming out of the air inlet, and the siphon tube kept clogging.

I modified the air inlet by installing a piece of PVC pipe that runs from the inlet hole, then across the top edge of the window. I plugged the end of the pipe and drilled a dozen or so holes in the side of it so that incoming air flows across the window, helping to keep it clean. Two problems solved!

I read up on better blast units and learned that they don't use a straight pickup tube. Instead, they use a tube that is U-shaped and has holes in the side that suck the media in. It works like a venturi. I bent a piece of copper tubing so that it had a U in the middle that hung down into the media. One end of the tube was attached to the hose for the nozzle, the other stuck out above the media to promote better air flow.

This setup worked much better than the original pickup, however, it dawned on me that my dust collection system was sucking air from the inlet of the siphon tube, which cut down on its efficiency. I made a new siphon tube that included the U-tube, but I drilled hole in the side of the cabinet and ran the inlet to the siphon tube outside. This way, the dust collector helps to draw air into the siphon tube.

Works pretty good now!

comp
10-10-2007, 02:44 AM
I have made a number of mods to my blast cabinet and it finally works pretty well. Mine came without a light, so that was the first mod. I put a flourescent tube in it.

I ordered a number of replacement protective sheets for the window, (they're only a dollar or so), but I was having trouble with dust settling on the glass. I was also getting media coming out of the air inlet, and the siphon tube kept clogging.

I modified the air inlet by installing a piece of PVC pipe that runs from the inlet hole, then across the top edge of the window. I plugged the end of the pipe and drilled a dozen or so holes in the side of it so that incoming air flows across the window, helping to keep it clean. Two problems solved!

I read up on better blast units and learned that they don't use a straight pickup tube. Instead, they use a tube that is U-shaped and has holes in the side that suck the media in. It works like a venturi. I bent a piece of copper tubing so that it had a U in the middle that hung down into the media. One end of the tube was attached to the hose for the nozzle, the other stuck out above the media to promote better air flow.

This setup worked much better than the original pickup, however, it dawned on me that my dust collection system was sucking air from the inlet of the siphon tube, which cut down on its efficiency. I made a new siphon tube that included the U-tube, but I drilled hole in the side of the cabinet and ran the inlet to the siphon tube outside. This way, the dust collector helps to draw air into the siphon tube.

Works pretty good now!
cool :cool:

Mantis
10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Do you have any pictures of your modifications?

aczeller
10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
as far as the leaking gun, use RTV or teflon tape at the threads. i liekt he thought of caulking the seams in the cabinet. i also think the idea of using tempered glass instead ofthe plastic woudl be a good idea (caulk the !@#$% out of it). as far as the kinking hose, i'm sure you could rig up some old air-compressor hose inside the cabinet, or possibly some old garden hose. which one was kinking? you may also want to look at Home Depot or Lowes for some pressure-rated vinyl tubing. that stuff works wonders. i don't ahve any expereince with basting cabinets, but from what i know about blasting in the open, on the side of our garage, using halogen bulbs, rather than flourescent or LED, really lights up anything you put under it. the only problem is heat. those 500W bulbs get hot, and FAST. maybe Another flourescent tube, adjacent tot he one that's already in there, or possibly a spot light of some kind? i don't know what woudl work best since i don't knwo what size the box is, but hopefully that helps.

Later,
Andy

steve45
10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Do you have any pictures of your modifications?

No, I'll try to take some in a few days.

steve45
10-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I was able to find one picture. This shows the air inlet pipe with holes that blow air across the window to help clean it. I don't have any pics of the siphon tube, and it's buried in media now.

gnm109
10-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I've had a large HF bead blasting cabinet for about ten years now. I made the following modifications:

1. Removed the flourescent lamop and replaced with three 60 w shielded incandescents controlled by a switch on the left side.

2. Connected my large vintage Cyclone brand dust collector to the exhaist opening on the left side. It draws off all of the dust so you can see. It's big enough to lift a bowling ball.

3. I use a replaceable polycarbonate sheet inside of the window to take the wear from the beads. When it gets cloudy, I change it. I get a large sheet from a local plastic company and cut several replacements from each sheet.

4. On the outside I had a tempered glass plate made by a local glass shop for a better window. I put studs in around it instead of the sheel metal screws so I can remove it to change the plastic inside and also be able to take it out to clean the window on both sides. I also put studs with nuts to hold the gloves in so I can change them periodically after they start to leak, which they do from time to time. HF sells rubber replacemnt gloves that are OK.

5. I tossed the stock HF blasting gun, the one with the ceramic tubes. They are worthless. The ceramic tips will wear out after about a week. I made some out of stainless and they lasted two weeks. I finally replaced the gun with one from Snap-on. It has tungsten carbide inner and outer tubes. They will last forever. The only thing to wear out is the air seals inside and I'm still running after ten years. The Snap-on gun is about $90. Good luck finding a Snap-on salesman with a truck who wants to sell you one. I had to resort to trickery to get him to do so. I hate the way they sell Snap-on.

The rest of the design is fine. With the changes made, the HF cabinet is as good as any. Mine will take a whole Harley-Davidson cast wheel with no problem. I use the cabinet mainly for preparation for powdercoating and also cleaning rusty parts for welding. I use fine glass beads but it will run anything you want. A dust collector is a must, though.

Oh yeah, unless you have an 80 gallon air compressor with a real, I said REAL five hp electric motor, you will be borderline on using the Snap-on gun, or any gun for that matter.