PDA

View Full Version : 120V Receptacle wiring

Doityourself
06-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi all,

I need help in wiring a receptacle with 120 V for the patio from the main power box with 240V originally coming from the two Black conductors in the wall, and a barbed neutral copper.

I have wired the neutral and one black conductor on to the receptacle to get 120V, what concerned me was where to ground the receptacle while the neutral conductor from the wall has now been wired to one of the receptacle terminal?

Your help is appreciated.

thanks

Sberry
06-08-2004, 07:47 PM
That explanaion is kind of muddy. But, does this circui go to the main entrance panel,, the first panel after the meter? What type of wiring method, Romex style cable or plastic or metal conduit? A 120 v circuit requres 3 wires, a black, a white and a green or bare for ground. You are using a 3 prong recept and there is a screw on the top of it for the ground wire. If it is metal conduit the conduit can act as the ground wire. The black wire goes to the gold screw on the recept, the side with the short slot, and must go to a single pole breaker in the panel no larger than 20 amps for number 12 wire or 15 amp breaker for number 14. The white goes to the silver screw of the recept (side with the long slot) and to the neutral bar in the panel,, where the rest of the white wires go. The ground must go from the screw on the frame of the recept to the neutral bar in a main entrance panel, or equipment ground bar if there is one. If this is a subfed panel (like a secondary one) it MUST go to the seperate equipment ground bar.

Grumpy
06-09-2004, 12:55 PM
I think what Doityourself is saying is he has a 240 volt wall feed with two black wires and one barbed (bare?) ground connector in the wall box. He wants to know how to get 120v from the 240v feed. I think. Yup, it's murky alright.

Give more info Doityourself.

Doityourself
06-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Grumpy,

You are right. I have a 240 volt wall feed with two black wires, and 1 bare. This wall feed is used for the air conditioner. Now I want to make a 120V receptacle from this wall feed, and I dont know where to ground the green conductor with one end connected to the green screw on the receptacle.

So what do I do with this green conductor end?

Thanks Sherry and Grumpy

MAC702
06-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Without trying to further confuse myself by sifting through the posts, I've had to rewire this exact same kind of situation at a friend's house last year, so see if this also applies to you. If it's want Sberry said, than you have your second opinion.

He had a 240V outlet at a backyard patio and wanted it to be 120V. We took the two hot wires off the breaker and put one of them onto a single pole breaker (you may have to replace or adda breaker to do this.) The other hot was taped white and landed to the neutral buss. The green or bare grounding wire was left alone on the grounding buss. In some main panels, these busses will be one and the same or bonded together anyway.

At the receptacle, make sure you know which hot wire is still a hot and which was taped to be a neutral. Tape it accordingly and wire into a 120V receptacle.

Grumpy
06-09-2004, 08:11 PM
MAC702. Wish we weren't so far away. I'm sure would like that Trailblazer. Anyway being retired I probably couldn't afford it. But I can dream :).

Sberry
06-09-2004, 11:49 PM
The bare wire is a ground, not a neutal. Like Mac said, re-mark one wire with white tape and use for a neutral, it must be an insulated wire. Remember, size breaker according to wire size and no bigger than a 20A when connected to a common recept. A green or bare ground conductor goes on ,, wait,,, connect it in the panel where the bare was from the original circuit. Ok,,, I re-read it again, connect the green to the bare wire.

DaveD
06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
If you can't figure out which wire is going to be the one you want to mark as 'white' at the receptacle end just guess and hook it up. Then test the receptacle with one of those plug in testers you get at Lowes for about $5. It will tell you if you have it backwards. If its backwards just swap them at the outlet end.

Be sure to mark which is the 'white' wire at both ends or you are going to really confuse the next person that has to go into the power panel and sees a black wire tied to the neutral bus.

Sberry
06-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Yup, or hook one to the breaker and check with a V tester. Or,,, you could short it to the bare,,, just to make sure the fault protection is working,,,, hahahahaha