PDA

View Full Version : repairing SS shrimp baskets

Stever Passonar
11-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey everyone.

At my work there are a couple of stainless baskets about one foot wide and two feet tall. They are made of a whole lot of 1/16 inch SS rods with three rings holding them in a circle. And of course the tiny welds cracked and some of the rods snapped of the ring. We put the baskets in ice water when the shrimp are thawing then put them into near boiling water when we cook them. I know if I Tig them with stainless again they will crack again, but what about Tig brazing them with a little Nickel-silver wire? or just soldering the baskets with plumbing solder? My main concern is contaminating the shrimp with an awful metalic taste. Can anyone share some insight?

Thanks!
And happy thanksgiving!

zapster
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
You should be able to just fuse the stainless and be done with it..:confused:

Done lots of everything stainless and cracking has never been a problem..

What grade of stainless are we using??

...zap!

Stever Passonar
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I have no idea what grade. I dont even know what the grades are. So a good fusion weld should work? Time to collect an IOU with a friend who owns a Tig machine....

zapster
11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I have no idea what grade. I dont even know what the grades are. So a good fusion weld should work? Time to collect an IOU with a friend who owns a Tig machine....

Yeah..
Fusion with good penetration on stainless will go along way..

Made some stainless "weenie roasters" all fused and they stand over hot charcoal..
Never a failure..

http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=7643&highlight=Marilyn

No filler and way hotter than boiling water..

...zap!

pulser
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
You should be able to just fuse the stainless and be done with it..:confused:
Done lots of everything stainless and cracking has never been a problem..
What grade of stainless are we using??
...zap!

I agree, the stress of boiling (212 F) to ice water (32 F) should not be too severe for 304 or 316 SS (most common grades). Fusion welding should be no problem, if done properly.

Let's see a photo, I suspect the problem is related to poor weld fusion/bad weld joint configuration. Are these resistance welds on round wires?