PDA

View Full Version : Why are my steeltoes killing me?

Burnit
12-09-2007, 06:34 PM
The last pair of steeltoes I had that didnt kill me arent made anymore. So I thought I would go get some "nice boots" I got some redwings 'cause they are made in the USA. So the redwings are bulletproof, but man these things HURT! so I go a pair of Dr. Martens, supposed to be nice boots right? man these things are killin me! I know my feet arent going to feel great after 8 or 12 hours but what the hell?

So now Im thinkin I should just go to wal-mart and buy some el-cheapo boots, what do you guys wear? I have to have steel toes for work.

Joe H
12-09-2007, 06:37 PM
They ALL hurt like hell to me, until they are broken in good.

AnotherDano
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I worked on an asphalt plant in the Army (Ft. Lewis). The job description allowed us a lot of boots. Over the ankle, steel-toed butt-ugly but they broke in easy and lasted forever.

I am down to my next-to-last pair. Issued in 1969.

aDreamSoReal
12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Dr. Martens hurt like hell. I have the same problem. Took me years to find a boot that didn't kill my feet and back. I don't know if you can get them in the US, but i'll post them anyways.

I have never had a boot so comfy.

Dakota 9" Quad Comfort Vibram® Premium Workboots

http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.asp?categoryID=363&start=1&href=%2Fctwnew%2Fmarkprod%2Ensf%2FProductListByID% 2FA8CC040F3E54A7F1872572A6003059E6%3FOpenDocument

DesertRider33
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
My current pair of steel toes for work are Timberland Pro Series. They are comfortable enough to wear for a full shift at work and then a 'second shift' at the home shop for the evening. They did take a bit to break in.

Burnit
12-09-2007, 06:56 PM
the info on those dakotas mentions cushioning twice hmmm. Im gonna find 'em. Im wearing these friggen docs and it feels like there is a steel rod in my heel. I wore my hiking/snow boots which are not steel toes to work on friday
'cause they dont hurt, but I cant keep doin that

Beezer
12-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Break In just sucks with leather shoes of any kind. Do you have an old pair so you can alternate days with them? It'll get better.

Josh705
12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I have Red Wings steel toe. They don't hurt at all, most comfortable boot I have had. Meaby they are a size to small?

Skwerly
12-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I actually scored some CAT boots from Target about a year ago. I did have to ad a gel insert, but after they were broken in a bit i couldn't even feel them. Like was mentioned, any steel toed boot and being on your feet longer than 8 hours is going to hurt, but it doesn't have to hurt bad. Sore feet can ruin the whole day! But if i had the $$ i would probably check out the boots in that link, those look really nice. I also hear good stuff about the Timberland line. Good luck brother, I feel for you!

Burnit
12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Break In just sucks with leather shoes of any kind.
I've had the docs for 3 months now. they're pretty worn in

I know my red wings arent too small. they fit right. my heels just hurt like a mo fo. Im startin to wonder if Im a fat a$$ and I just weigh too much for my feet! lol!

Doug247
12-09-2007, 08:17 PM
my feet are really picky, it takes me more than one trip to one store to find the right pair of shoes or boots, i know what you are goin through. I tried on a welders boot from a compamy called canada west boots or something like that, not a major brand or anything, but they werent cheap either. they have been the most comfortable longest lasting boots ive had. most boots never fit right or if they do they never lasted long. these ones ive had 2 years at least, and still have no holes fit like slippers and keep my feet dry. if i ever came across another pair id buy them. dont worry there is good boots out there.

G3farms
12-09-2007, 08:53 PM
it is redwings for me, steel toe, insulated, and water proof. don't need any break in period. wear them at least 12 hours every day mon - sat and sometimes on sun.

they cost but are worth it.

tried all of the big name brands and they hurt my feet. don't get boots with the big heel, a wedge sole will feel much better on the feet.

G3

Burnit
12-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I never thought about the heel.....theres nothin between that and the front part of the sole. maybe thats why my heels kills.

backuproller
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
proper break in of boots is a science. soak them in water and lace em up. wear them until their dry. then alternate between the new boots and some old ones. i usually change out around lunch time. takes about 2 weeks and they fit like your favorite tig glove (yes ZAP i know you bare hand it, just using it as an example of something that fits nice).
i have had better luck with wolverines than any other boot. but if you are using metatarsal guards then good luck. mine are broke in just fine, but they dig into the top of my foot when i try to bend down to weld close to the ground.

odleo
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Burnit, I wear red wings for 10 to 12 hours aday. All steel toes. I had to go to a EE size. I thought that the steel toes were the cause of my heel pain. Found out I have plantar facitis (SP). I found that stretching the calf and foot muscles helps alot before I put on my boots. Not sure if this is the problem you are having but it is worth a try.

aczeller
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
8" Bates Enforcers... they are acutally supposed to be made for a "tactical law-enforcment or military" application, but they work great for me... lace 'em up once and then use the zipper on the side... light-weight, and they make a slightly heavier version with thinsulate in them. non-steel toe, but safety toe to still comply with OSHA and ANSI standards... i need to get some more tho... my last ones are getting warn out after about 3 years of daily use... about 80 bucks at Brigade Quatermasters.

Later,
Andy

txfireguy2003
12-09-2007, 11:55 PM
I have been wearing steel toes since I was 16 and never liked a single pair of them until 2002 when the company I was working for told me to go buy a pair of boots I liked and they would pay me back. I whipped out the trusty Visa and went to a safety shoe store. That's all they sold was work boots, mostly steel toes. I had them measure my feet and found out that I had been wearing the right size all along, but the wrong width for steel toes. Then I picked a pair of Wolverines at 195 bucks and said "I'll take these." She goes to the back and they don't have the right size. She got me a half size bigger, same width and I walked out with the boots, a pair of gel inserts and some good "boot socks" (thick and well padded, but surprisingly cool). I'm still wearing the same pair of boots to this day, tattered, missing large chunks of rubber from stepping on hot steel accidentally, but comfortable as he**. I have since taken the insole out as they have shrunk a bit from being wet too many times I think. Great boots though, the only steel toes I've ever liked.

TEK
12-10-2007, 12:36 AM
proper break in of boots is a science. soak them in water and lace em up. wear them until their dry. then alternate between the new boots and some old ones. i usually change out around lunch time. takes about 2 weeks and they fit like your favorite tig glove (yes ZAP i know you bare hand it, just using it as an example of something that fits nice).
i have had better luck with wolverines than any other boot. but if you are using metatarsal guards then good luck. mine are broke in just fine, but they dig into the top of my foot when i try to bend down to weld close to the ground.

Almost exactly my experience. Only thing is I use hot water to soak them in and two pair of socks, lace 'em up tight, and then wear them till they are completely dry. It really does help.....

AnotherDano
12-10-2007, 12:46 AM
8" Bates Enforcers... they are acutally supposed to be made for a "tactical law-enforcment or military" application, but they work great for me... lace 'em up once and then use the zipper on the side... light-weight, and they make a slightly heavier version with thinsulate in them. non-steel toe, but safety toe to still comply with OSHA and ANSI standards... i need to get some more tho... my last ones are getting warn out after about 3 years of daily use... about 80 bucks at Brigade Quatermasters.

Later,
Andy

Andy, I've always been amused at that designation; Tactical.
I've seen the catalogs with Tactical ball-point pens, Tactical belts etc.

Can anyone tell me where I can get Strategic ball-point pens?

turbo38t
12-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I have Red Wings steel toe. They don't hurt at all, most comfortable boot I have had. Meaby they are a size to small? I second that. Love my Redwing steel toes. I have an insu;ated and a non insulated pair. They last years if you oil them once a month or so. Just get the formable in soles and replace the insoles like every six months or so. Dave

steve45
12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I've had several pair of Red Wings. They were never really comfortable, but the last pair were awful. They were too small. The store didn't have my size, but had 1/2 size smaller. They said they could 'stretch' them so they would fit. Well, they fit in the store, but not after that. I kept them on shoe trees to try to keep them stretched out, but that didn't help. NO MORE RED WINGS FOR ME!!! If the store is going to lie to me to make a sale, SCREW THEM! That's a lousy way to do business in my opinion.

I now wear Georgia boots and they are WONDERFUL! They are as comfortable as my bedroom slippers.

wannabe_welder
12-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Ariat steel toes. I had a pair of their ropers and decided to try their steel toes and loved them. I'm on my second pair and still love them. On the production floor or the jobsite, they are comfortable to be in and they don't have a big lug so they don't hold an extra ton of mud.

kelly_b
12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I think they just need to be broken in. Keep wearing them for another couple of weeks and it will slowly go away.

TozziWelding
12-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I get Red Wings, or Chipewas. NO STEEL TOES, they give me ingrown toenails. Next pair of boots will be Red Wing loggers, waterproof and no steel toe. The Chipewas I have now are comfortable, just didn't last as long as the Red Wings they replaced.

Burnit
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I thought that the steel toes were the cause of my heel pain. Found out I have plantar facitis (SP).

Bingo. Turns out I have "facist planters" (thats what I call it) as well. One of the benefits of the fiancees job. So she helped me stretch out real good last night and I did it again this morning. And it is making a little difference but she swears it will improve.

Its funny reading all the responses about boots. everyone seems to have a love/hate relationships with a couple kinds of boots. Man I swear though, the way the "facist planters" hurt I would rather have a broken toe. I hate things that keep me from working he hours I wanna work.

qaqc
12-14-2007, 10:44 AM
i have to say the doc martins are my first choice. none fit better. also, two doc martins weigh the same or less than one steel toe regardless of the brand. imo

HGHS-Corp
12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
ive always worn "Brynje" safety footwear and i buy a new pair every 12 months, my guess is that most of you guys dont know about "Brynje" steel toes, since i dont think they are sold in the US.

This is the shoe iam currently using. :) , and the broke in toke about 1-2weeks.
http://www.brynje.dk/Default.asp?ID=22&M=Shop&PID=10&ProductID=918

steve45
12-15-2007, 09:30 AM
I think they just need to be broken in. Keep wearing them for another couple of weeks and it will slowly go away.
That was true in the last century. These days, shoes should fit the first time you put them on. If not, you may have a problem that requires a custom insole, cookie, etc.

lenny spero
12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I have Red Wings steel toe. They don't hurt at all, most comfortable boot I have had. Meaby they are a size to small?
i allways wear redwings.they hurt until they break in..ive been on the same pair for 2+ years now and i work heavy construction so in extremely abusive on boots.

Burnit
12-16-2007, 03:27 PM
I went and got my feet measured and I have been buying the wrong size.
I need a 10 EEEE or 10 H and I have been buying bigger boots so they were wide enough. this moved the arch too far forward. Then I developed that problem. So I went out and got some red wings, same style as I always used to get in the right size, and some red wings inserts that have a really high, rigid arch support and Im in friggen heaven

shanedog
12-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Gotta agree with wannabee on the Ariats! I'm on my 6th pair, and they seem to break in with one wearing. I've got both steel and regular toe, but if you're doing any fab work, do yourself a favor and get the steel toe.

Ever had a piece you're working on fall on your foot? That'll make a believer out of you.

canuk
12-17-2007, 04:54 PM
i get mine from whatever my dad pulls off the truck at work, when i get them they are broken in and worn but i use them for a year before passing them down to my brother. i abuse them in almost every way i can, mud, manure, hitting the toe againest everything from cement to the tractor steps, and get them dusty, and wet.
then this past summer when i was wearing them all day to hay i got a planters wart and it hurt i didnt know what it was so i kept wearing them and that then finaly found out and treated it, but i cant ask for anything better then what dad brings home for me. moose head brand