PDA

View Full Version : Hows good is my welder.

sbrider89
12-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey guys i am new to welding. i just got a Dan Mig 200 amp welder at a swap meet and was wondering if it was any good?

zapster
12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
If it works then you have a fine machine for yourself..:cool:

What did it cost?

...zap!

sbrider89
12-24-2007, 11:02 AM
400 dollars.. the only probly i see with it so far is the wire feeding mechinism gets caught up sometimes and stops my fun

zapster
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Usually its a dirty tip where the wire comes out is the problem with "birdnesting" the wire inside the machine..

Keep the tip clean..
You can file the end..

...zap!

sbrider89
12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
you are probably right. well im going to go have at it again. i also bought a hypertherm plasma cutter.

zapster
12-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Post some pics of the welds! :D

...zap!

ski_dwn_it
12-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Don't feel bad about the wire feed problem. I bought a brand new Miller 210 and it had the same problem after about 2 hours of use. Drove me nuts......

To expound upon what Zap was saying....Do what I did.

Pull the wire back out all the way.......then let it feed through without a tip in the gun.....if it feeds nearly the whle way and then hangs you probably have a piece of dirt inside. That was my problem....I played with it for a while, then disconnected the liner and took it in for a refund....they replaced it without a problem and I have not had a problem since.

If the wire feeds all the way to the tip and no problems, then pull it back and put the tip on and give it a try again....if it hangs in the tip then you can try the file trick or probably just replace it with a fresh one.

Good luck and as zap said....lets see some beads. :cool2:

David R
12-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I had many problems with my first two mig welders. The problem was an inexperienced operator. As you get better at welding and understand the machine better, the problems go away. Clean liner, Good contact tip, adjust the drive roll pressure so it just slips. It will only get better.

David