PDA

View Full Version : Two part thread, help and recomendations

GrantH
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I am looking at baggin my truck (72 f100), not sure if it will happen or if I will end up buying another truck that is MUCH easier to bag.

Here are my options, save money until I can afford a shop to do it, or find some steel beam, put trailor jacks on each end, and have me a little table to build the frame on. I can do the table and order the rails I am guessing for about 1000 dollars. I think I could put another 2-300 in steel and have a roller. The front clip would be from an s10 or full size chevy, which would be bought. I would have to run brake lines, air line, plumb the system completely and rewire the truck once more.

OR

I can buy this little isuzu I found (i think) and bag the stock suspension, bag the rear, and channel the cab over the frame rails. All this would run me about 1000 dollars. With me doing the work. The tranny needs a clutch, and the owner says no smoke, no leaks, ran great when parked. We all know those stories. It is an 89.

Either truck will be fun, either truck will be a project, either truck will cost a lot, and well.....each truck will have its problems. What would you all do? I can't make up my mind, and noone seems willing to help (read: as a friend, not as a person wanting loads of money). I fully understand shops need to make money, and in the end its a business. I am not wanting a fully built frame for free, but rather some guidance on what can be done. I think the isuzu would be EASIER, but the f100 would be DIFFERENT.

Ah, the joys of wanting it all and not being to have much at all hahaha.

denrep
01-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello GrantH,

That 72 F100 has twin I beam suspension. The twin I beam has a huge front crossmember, with tall towers, and radius arms anchored to it. This large crosmember is the heart of the chassis and suspension. The design is very tall, has beam axles and kingpin steering, with a low hanging steering gear behind the crossmember. It would be very tough to gain drop without extensive rework. If the F100 has real nice sheet metal, and you really like it, maybe a complete chassis swap would be the way to go. Try to pick a chassis with readily available aftermarket parts.

I saw a '66 F100 body, dropped onto a Towncar chassis. Really, it looked simple and clean; as far as body swaps go.

Good Luck with your plan

GrantH
01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
well the stock chassis would be of no use, atleast from the firewall forward, a chevy clip would take care of the front suspension. I am going to look into the towncar swap as it does work with some minor modifications. Nothing too out of the ordinary. I never seem to look into it when I get into these situations where I am choosing between two trucks. I want to do a chassis build purely for the experience, as well as the knowledge and look it comes with in the end. Of course....the end may not be at the end of the first chassis, but possibly the 3rd haha. Body panels arent exactly great, but I feel it's worth fixing.