PDA

View Full Version : finishing

nan
02-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I have been doing a little artistic kind of stuff and i wondered how to finish it for outside if i don't want it to rust. I thought i read about a method of coating it with linseed oil and heating it. Tell me what you have tried.+++++++++

tapwelder
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I have done the heat and oil for inside stuff. You need to strip any scale off first or start with cold rolled metal.

I have heard of clear coating with polyurethane. I think there is a clear coat powder coating. I have never tried either.

You could use stainless steel.

I assume you do not want to paint.

yorkiepap
02-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey nan,
Many years ago I made a lot of outdoor items with steel, brass, bronze & copper and many items were case or flame colored and jewelled(engine-turned) to add a special effect. Since they were subject to the elements, I found the most lasting application I used was a clear polyurethane finish such as Rez or Zar. After a couple years, sometimes they needed a bit of touching up, but were quite resilient to the weather. Also, there are quite a few suggestions & hints on the Hobart Forum under the Metal Art/Sculpture Topic listing. Many of the fellows there do as you do with the outdoor artistic items. Hope that helps a bit.

Denny

02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
A clear coat finish, should last years, and is easy to touch up, that or the use of SS or aluminum would work.