PDA

View Full Version : Radnor Rods

joethemechanic
03-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I was reading in another post about someone having problems with Radnor electrodes. This isn't the first time I have heard something about them.

I bought a 10 pound box or Radnor 6010 rod last week and I am wondering if maybe I should take it back.

Sandy
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Use 'em up. You will have some first hand input if someone asks about radnor rod. Every body has there own opinion of this or that rod. Just because they didn't work out well for one guy on a particular machine doesn't necessarily mean they aren't any good.

Now if they don't work well for most folks on most machines==different story. :)

Hammack_Welding
03-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I have used radnor at times, and i personally have not had alot of problem with the 6010. Now the 7018 on the other hand I refuse to buy. Most of the general purpose mild steel rods I have run didn't give me a whole lot of trouble. I agree burn them and see what you think.

gnm109
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I had to throw out two small rolls of Radnor Mig wire. (2# .030, .035). It wouldn't weld properly....just pop, pop, pop, every now and then. I have no problem with Lincoln wire so I just use that on my SP 175 plus.

I could have taken it back I guess but I'm sure the folks at AirGas would have been defensive and argued with me like "Gee, no one else has this problem." So, into the trash it went. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing Radnor consumables anymore.

:)

Sandy
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I had to throw out two small rolls of Radnor Mig wire. (2# .030, .035). It wouldn't weld properly....just pop, pop, pop, every now and then. I have no problem with Lincoln wire so I just use that on my SP 175 plus.

Solid or flux core ? I've run their flux core but never their solid. Nothing wrong with their flux core except they won't give easy and open access to their weld composition or wire composition specs so I won't get any more. Or at least not the last time I looked. If I don't know what's in it I won't run it. Then too, there was nothing about it that made me want to go back for more. I guess 'okay' is a good description.

DDA52
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Nothing wrong with their solid wire either. It used to be Linc S-6 wire and probably still is. I just burned up most of a roll of .045 solid and didn't have any trouble. Rods are a different story, though.

joethemechanic
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/testlab/electrodes1.htm

Found this interesting. There are only a few welding electrode manufacturers approved for Ohio DOT Construction.

I was looking for a similar contract specification for Pa. but I didn't find one yet

Sandy
03-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Found this interesting. There are only a few welding electrode manufacturers approved for Ohio DOT Construction.

That is interesting. One thing I've found out over time with approval lists tho is that they are neither an endorsement for a particular manufacturer nor does not being on the list mean that a manufacturer doesn't meet the same physical specs as those that are on the list. It only means that that manufacturers particular product cannot be used for work for that entity.

They are so many ways of not getting on these approvals lists. It could be the manufacturer tried to get itself or its product on the list and failed quality certs or they just didn't want to go through the pain and process or they didn't know it was necessary.

Of course for an end user like you, if you are going to do work for your state gov't, you need to know if such lists exist and what or who is on there for sure. Some inspectors sleep with those lists under their pillow.

joethemechanic
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah I know going through the approval process can be a PIA not be worth the effort. I used to bid on a lot of goverment work when I was doing Pumps and Gearboxes and other water treatment work.

It's kind of like one day I got my liquid oxy tank filled. I went inside to pay and the girl told me $400 and change. I'm like WTF, I always pay $80. Seems that they put something down wrong and they were charging me for "medical oxy" because there was a guy there filling liquid med oxy bottles at the same time.

I asked, Why is the medical so much more money? They told me it was because it was "approved" for medical use.

The thing is, they fill the medical stuff from the same tank and through the same hose as they do my industrial use stuff

gnm109
03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Nothing wrong with their solid wire either. It used to be Linc S-6 wire and probably still is. I just burned up most of a roll of .045 solid and didn't have any trouble. Rods are a different story, though.

I just told you it was no good. Perhaps it was stale or they gave me a bad lot. It's made in Turkey. Maybe that's the problem.

No, Radnor is not Lincoln wire.

gnm109
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Solid or flux core ? I've run their flux core but never their solid. Nothing wrong with their flux core except they won't give easy and open access to their weld composition or wire composition specs so I won't get any more. Or at least not the last time I looked. If I don't know what's in it I won't run it. Then too, there was nothing about it that made me want to go back for more. I guess 'okay' is a good description.

It was solid. It was N.D.G.