PDA

View Full Version : My bench grinder died!

majorjc
04-01-2008, 10:26 PM
My 12 year old black and decker bench grinder died this past weekend. I was grinding down the edge on a piece of sheet metal that I had cut with my torch and all of a sudden white smoke came boiling out from under the base. I guess this grinder was only meant to sharpen lawn mower blades and such. :(

So, I'm now looking for a replacement. Which bench grinders do y'all have and how do you like it?

Thanks for the input.

Major

Hammack_Welding
04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, Not sure i am much help, but my bench grinders are "skill" grinders made in the late 40's. I do have one Baldor grinder that is as good as you can get. The question is how much do you want to spend. Baldor and JET are great grinders. but they are gonna be pricey.

majorjc
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, Not sure i am much help, but my bench grinders are "skill" grinders made in the late 40's. I do have one Baldor grinder that is as good as you can get. The question is how much do you want to spend. Baldor and JET are great grinders. but they are gonna be pricey.

I'm not looking to spend much over $100.00. I'm trying to save up for a plasma cutter too.

I'm looking at this dewalt grinder on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224J4?tag=majorsblog-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0000224J4&adid=19JCA4QT2NBKKAQ19Z4J&

This is probably what I will end up buying.

Thanks,

Major

spiral-cut-bevel
04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Before you go out a but a new bench grinder do yourself a favor and rip the cover off the old one....sounds like the start capacitor may have died on your grinder. If it is the capacitor that smoked up yo can find replacement's on EBAY for pennies to a few bucks.

As far as recommending a bench grinder....I own a few..my industrial Delta is fantastic, but more pricey than 100. I however do own a Ryobi 8 inch (it was a gift) and for 85+ it does a heck of a job.

spiral-cut-bevel
04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
double post

miweldmi
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I was referred to wilton grinders, just bought one and it is great. Read lots of reviews and threads on it and everyone says Wilton is one of the tops. I paid $108 for the grinder. Read the thread here:
http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?p=318413#post318413
(http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?p=318413#post318413)

wlbrown
04-02-2008, 04:40 PM
SIR,
have you given any thought to repair? it sounds like
the start capacitor. is it inside the base. suggest you
take it apart, and check it. also check the motor for
dirt, and debris. those little critters like to get inside,
and plug up things. maybe a good cleaning is all that
is needed. check the simple things first!
good luck.
wlbrown

majorjc
04-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Before you go out a but a new bench grinder do yourself a favor and rip the cover off the old one....sounds like the start capacitor may have died on your grinder. If it is the capacitor that smoked up yo can find replacement's on EBAY for pennies to a few bucks.

As far as recommending a bench grinder....I own a few..my industrial Delta is fantastic, but more pricey than 100. I however do own a Ryobi 8 inch (it was a gift) and for 85+ it does a heck of a job.

SIR,
good luck.
wlbrown

It never even occurred to me to try to repair it. It started smoking when it got bogged down on some sheet metal I was de-burring the edge on. I'll take it apart and see if I can tell what part burned up.

bhardy501
04-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I bought an 8" Delta bench grinder at Hope Depot for $59.00. It seems to do a good job. I have sharpened some tool steel bits on it and a few other smaller things.

majorjc
04-03-2008, 10:45 AM

SIR,
good luck.
wlbrown

Looks like you guys were right. The capacitor in the base of the grinder had black goo melted out of one end and that goo smelled exactly like the smoke it gave off the other day.

(see pics below)

Now all I've got to do is try to find one of these capacitors. The internet parts site for black & decker wants $5.91 for the capacitor, but they want $9.50 for shipping. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a problem paying more for the shipping than the part costs. They could put it in a padded envelope and send it by USPS for around $2.45 or less. I'm going to keep looking. I'll try some local shops.

Black & Decker 6" bench grinder. Model # 9407 Type 2
(I put this in for the search engines)

http://www.majorjc.com/images/weldingweb/cap1.jpg

http://www.majorjc.com/images/weldingweb/cap2.jpg

http://www.majorjc.com/images/weldingweb/cap3.jpg

ctrhenry
04-03-2008, 01:38 PM
digi key is where i go for all of my electronic parts, but there a re a huge number
of places on line that will sell you that capacitor or one exactly like it from another vendor, they all have crossover charts.

I dont know where you live , but here in Nashville there are 4 different placers i can go and buy parts , not counting any motor repair shops

bhardy501
04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
If you have a local shop that works on appliances, you can take the part in there and they may be able to match it up for you and then no shipping. If not an appliance shop maybe an electric motor shop.

majorjc
04-03-2008, 03:18 PM
digi key is where i go for all of my electronic parts, but there a re a huge number
of places on line that will sell you that capacitor or one exactly like it from another vendor, they all have crossover charts.

I dont know where you live , but here in Nashville there are 4 different placers i can go and buy parts , not counting any motor repair shops

If you have a local shop that works on appliances, you can take the part in there and they may be able to match it up for you and then no shipping. If not an appliance shop maybe an electric motor shop.

Yep, the first electric motor shop I went to wanted to charge me the shipping fees. Then I went to Flannigan Electric (http://www.flanniganelectric.com/) and the guy there said they will just bundle it in with their regular order and it will only cost me $5.47 plus tax. So I got him to order it for me.

wlbrown
04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
SIR,
when your grinder bogged down, it slowed the
rpm enough to kick in the start windings, and
this is not good. sounds like this is when the
start capacitor burned out. take light cuts, to
keep the rpm up.
good luck with the repair.
wlbrown

Oldtimer
04-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I attended an electical seminar quite a few years ago. In it we learned that an electical motor has no true horse power rating. It is rated for the load it will handle with no mechanical problems. It is not like a combustion engine that will simply quit running when severly overloaded. It will continue to try to pull the load placed upon it until it is destroyed. I've remembered that and try not to overload any electrical tool.

wlbrown
04-05-2008, 12:19 PM
HELLO TO ALL,
a friend said he had a motor that was no good.
i said what do you mean? he said it smoked. i
said, don't throw it away, until i check it out.
well i checked it out, and it was ok. he came by,
and picked it up, and on a hunch, i took my amp
meter, and went with him. he had put this motor
on a window fan, and indeed it had started to smoke.
i said, why are you using such a large pulley? he said,
that was on there when i bought it at the flea market.
i said, you are overloading the motor, it was pulling 23
amps, and smoke was pouring out. i said, you need to put
a smaller pulley on it. we found one, and installed it, and
we found a different belt, and installed it. the motor did not
smoke anymore. boy, how dumb some people are.
good luck to all.
wlbrown