PDA

View Full Version : carbide burrs

weldbead
07-06-2008, 06:55 AM
have been looking at procuring several carbide burrs, i see they are available in standard cut and double cut. looking at the pictures it saems like the double cut would be more likely to keep iteslf freee of removed material. is that the point of double cut?
okay if it is not, what is the point of double cut burrs?

mrmikey
07-06-2008, 08:31 AM
I copied this from a site that sells burrs:

Standard cut is a general purpose tool designed for cast iron, steel, some copper and brass, and other ferrous materials. It will give good material removal and good work piece finishes

Double Cut allows for rapid stock removal in harder materials. The addition of the left hand flutes reduces the pulling action, allowing better operator control. It reduces the size of the chips and can be used at slower than normal speeds.

On another note not knowing if you've used burrs before so bear with me if you have, watch the filings. I swear they're like porcupine quills and will burrow into anywhere/anything and I mean anywhere.
Ended up in hospital for a week with blood poisioning due to a filing getting into my finger and getting infected before I was smart enough to realize what was going on.
Be sure to use a full face shield as well as wrap a rag around your neck to keep them from getting down your back.
I know this isn't recommended and goes against all safety procedures but I use compressed air to blow them off. You don't seem to force them into your clothing like you would should you try to brush them off......Mike

kbnit
07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Weldbead,

IMHO, go with the double cut. I don't know if you've got an air grinder or an electric like a Foredom or Dremel, but especially at mid-range rpms, they're easier to keep on target.

zapster
07-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Get the doublecut and forgetaboutit..
Remember the one I was using at the last class?
That is the only one I have at the moment and I use it on everything and it's 10 years old and still cuts like new..:D

Don't forget the canning wax..

...zap!

Jonesy70
07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
single cut is usually for wood...double cuts are for steel

weldbead
07-06-2008, 06:54 PM
many thanks to all.....