PDA

View Full Version : cutting cement lined pipe

stihl91
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
So I have a piece of cement lined pipe that i would like to cut for another project . How should I cut it ? I tried cutting it once before with a torch and it didn't work just the tip keep getting dirty. I could try a sawzall but it would take a while. would a gas powered cut of saw work if i change the blade. Thanks

dubl_t
01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm guessing the pipe is lined on the inside with concrete?
-could you beat the crap out of it to break it up?
-a hot saw will work, just use water. It's gonna eat up the blade though, you gotta use a diamond blade and I'm not sure how that's gonna behave with the steel.
-well maybe not, why would you have to cut through the concrete once the pipe is split?

Fegenbush
01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Cement lined pipe is ductile iron. Abrasive wheel cutting, using a specialty iron pipe chain breaker, or a chainsaw with a diamond blade are all common ways of cutting this type of pipe.

tadawson
02-01-2013, 01:46 AM
I used to cut 4 inch concrete lined with a pipe cutter.Always got a clean edge on both the pipe as well as the concrete.

- Tim

Dualie
02-01-2013, 04:12 AM
abrasive cut off saw. My prefered brand of saw is the partner and the 750's have been work horses for me.

rhunt
02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
I have used an 14" abrasive cut-off saw to cut eight, 4" lally columns with great success. It is very loud and very dusty. Best Bob

G3farms
02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I cut cement lined ductile iron pipe all of the time.

Use a gas powered "quickie saw" and ductile iron abrasive blades, they do make a diamond blade for them also.

14" saws are what I run, be sure to get quality blades.

farmersamm
02-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I had no idea that they used cement in iron pipe.

I use used oil field pipe for fences, and it's common to get pipe that has concrete in it. I figured it was steel pipe, welds ok. Maybe it's just an oilfield thing, dunno.

Anyway.....when cutting pipe with concrete in it you have to almost scarf the cut. Angle the torch ahead of the cut, and blow the metal away from the cut forward. The concrete generally will crack enough from the heat to disintegrate when the cut is made, or hit with a hammer. If you try to point the tip as you usually would, straight down, the molten metal will blow back in your face:nono:

Worst pipe is the stuff with the plastic liner in it :mad: Boo coo toxic chemicals when you cut that stuff :mad:

farmersamm
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Sorta misleading "angle the torch ahead of the cut". What I mean is to angle the torch forward, almost paralel, while blowing the metal out of the kerf forward.

middleofnowhere
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
A gas powered cut off saw with an abrasive blade is what we use all day long to cut DIP (ductile iron pipe).

The cement lining prevents corrosion and doesn't impart a taste to drinking water. It is a very durable coating and difficult to "beat" off the pipe. DIP typically has a bituminous coating for corrosion protection on the outside. The outside coating may need to be cleaned off depending on your proposed use of the pipe. I am not aware of a chain or snap cutter that works with DIP like you can use with cast iron pipe (CIP).

Mortar coated pipe is typically steel and not iron. We typically use a cement lined mortar coated (CLMC) steel pipe on larger water transmission projects. CLMC is joined by welding. The welds are re-coated with mortar after the joint is welded.

ironmangq
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Just use a ductile iron abrasive blade, for some reason the blades made for cutting "green" concrete also work very well on ductile iron, sometimes better than the iron blades.

superwelder
02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
wouldn't a pipe chain work pretty good?

middleofnowhere
02-02-2013, 12:54 AM
wouldn't a pipe chain work pretty good?

I know the snap cutters work great on cast iron, I never see it on ductile.

G3farms
02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
chain type or snap cutter will not work on ""ductile"" iron.

stefuel
02-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Now this is going back a real long time ago (more than 30 years ago) My father did commercial plumbing repairs in schools and stuff like that. He had a big 4 wheel cutter that he used. As soon as the metal was cut it seemed easy to fracture the concrete lining with another turn or two of the adjustment.

stihl91
02-03-2013, 06:04 PM
After looking at it and thinking of how to cut it and reading your post's. I think ill cut with a torch with a slight angle upward then break it with a sledge hammer. If that does not work ill borrow a concrete saw and switch out the blade for a abrasive cutting wheel. I think the saw is a partner or something i have used the saw a lot for demo work. thanks

hobohilton
02-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Gas powered cut off saw.

Pavinsteelman
02-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Diamond dip blade or dip abrasive wheel , ci snap cutter will brake itself will not cut. Torch will not work . A exothermic will.