PDA

View Full Version : Scrap/used metal dealer in Boston area?

*chris*
11-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know of a scrap metal dealer in the Boston/ Southern NH area? My local metal shop is pretty reasonable, I think I pay around $1.30 per pound or so for new hot rolled steel, but would like to pay less!

I called some of the scrap metal guys and they only collect, they don't sell scrap.

Chris

TozziWelding
11-06-2008, 08:05 PM
What do you need?

specter
11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I have to agree with Tozzi there are places around there but you need to determine what you need.
Don't know how much free time you have but sometimes driving around you'll find folks throwing out some good stuff! One of my best freebies I always find are the steel bedframes folks throw out! That steel makes great welding carts. Another is steel fence posts! They make some nice clothes line tees. I always have folks asking me to make them some. Another good place to search out steel is is construction sites! Especially demo sites where they are destroying old buildings. But always be sure to ask before you wander on site and take stuff as many sites now recycle that steel. I made a hydraulic dump trailer out of steel I got at one site. That trailer made of I -beams and steel panels will hold 10 tons.

Good Luck Hunting in your Steel Quest

Tom

TozziWelding
11-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I am asking because I probally drive by him every morning, and have tons of stuff hanging around:cool2:

*chris*
11-06-2008, 10:10 PM
What do you need?

Nothing really in particular, but I am building some mobile bases for some woodworking tools and could use some 2" x 1/4" or 3/16" angle iron.

I usually need short pieces e.g. less than 3' and hate to buy 20' lengths and cut them down.

Chris

admswelding
11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Chris i also have some stuff in my shop right know i,m low on 2x2 angle i have about 4' but that could change in just a few days you never know if i can help pm me i,ll give you a my #