PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone do?

Pages : [1] 2

johnsonmopar
11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Just like it says, what do you do for a living. I am sure we know about some of you but others we may not. I work for ADM at a sun flower processing plant. I work maintenance so I get all of the fun jobs. Matthew

partagas
11-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I just got hired a few weeks back working for a Company that builds equipment to resurface train wheels. Before that I built MRI's.

Ollie
11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Army 8 years till i retire... OLLIE

dimebag
11-22-2008, 11:02 AM
plumber,20 years

lars66
11-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Own welding repair shop for 36 years so I have seen and done a big variety of all the fun jobs.

littlefuzz
11-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm a foreman at a large conveyor manufacturing company. We build complete turnkey systems.

Rojodiablo
11-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Remodel houses and boats. And, as of recently...boat shops!!!

zapster
11-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Fix broken crap.

...zap!

STwelder
11-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I work at a food processing plant. I'm in Facilities maintenance I work on boilers natural gas fired, and do HVAC natural gas, propane, steam and electrical heating. Also on freon 12, 22, 404a and hotshot and more, and anhydrous NH3 ammonia single and double stage systems, also glycol/chiller systems.

patrickp
11-22-2008, 12:45 PM
i own a welding and fabrication shop. i do fabrication and rebuild work for the coal mines. i also specialize in doing repair work underground.

Go1lum
11-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Full time student 1 year away from having my BS degree in Welding Engineering Technology. During the summers boy do i burn lots of wire.

Ken Dennis
11-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Temporarily out of work local Truck Driver, 22 years driving, was dedicated for the past ten years to GM hauling parts into their production/assembly plants, now I am driving my Lazyboy!

farmersamm
11-22-2008, 01:23 PM
What I don't do, is work outside unless the temperature matches my age:jester:

duaneb55
11-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Williams Fire & Hazard Contol (industrial fire fighting and fire fighting equipment) where the job description is too long to list here.

ls1ta
11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Live off my boyfriend. Til I get into the Union or someting.

Oldtimer
11-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Nothing I don't want to. Um, well, not until the wife hollers, "Honey, will you---------"?

mrmikey
11-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Welder(main job description but do a bit of anything) for NSDOT, have been for 20 years now. Before that worked in a welding shop right outa trade school, stayed there for 18 years, last three of which as the shop foreman before I went to DOT....Mike

johnsonmopar
11-22-2008, 03:19 PM
littlefuzz what is the name of the company? Just want to see if we have any of your work at my work...

Skwerly
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Six weeks ago I quit my dead-end job to freelance write full time. I will never look back!

A while back I tried to run my own Mobile Welding company, but I don't think I put enough effort into it, and it seemed that every single request that I got was for aluminum or something completely insane, neither of which I am willing to do. :)

SICBOY
11-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I do quaitly control for a toyota dealer, going to school to be a Iron worker,

fewood
11-22-2008, 06:55 PM
General Contractor, that means I do a little of everything and not a whole lot of one thing.
Fledgling metal masher and machine repair
sculptural art, when I don't need the money
furniture maker

distrbd
11-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I am a welder/fitter working for a company called "MARTINREA" which makes mainly frames for buses ,and also parts for other manufacturers like John Deer,and few others.for the last few weeks I have been fitting and welding 100 Gal. stainless steel (304) Gas tanks.

kepe
11-22-2008, 07:16 PM
46 years old and retired....I do hobbies for a living now :)

neo~hippie
11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
i work for GATX i work on rail cars

mla2ofus
11-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Retired crusher hand/foreman. Jack of all trades and master of none!!!
Mike

mcgyve
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I restore antique boats (the systems part of them) for one company and am the marina service mgr. for the sister company in the Thousand Islands, NY

David R
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I own a garage doing fleet repair work. Half my income comes from welding. Going for 100% welding in time. Been doin this for the last 5 years.

I have been a forklift mechanic and weldor
I have been an auto mechanic and weldor
I have been a heavy equipment Mechanic and weldor
I was a forklift part and service Rep (sales) for a few years
I was a plant manager in a mattress factory.
Self employed most of my working life.

I'm a whore, I'll do almost anything, but I'm not a slut, I won't do it for free anymore :)

David

Clark Riffle
11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I am a welder/fitter and currently work with STI. I build oil rigs,cranes, just about anything.

:gunsfirin Fire it up or go home!

Atticabob
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm in robotics. Material handling , removal, a lil welding here and there, now working in Mexico hoping to not get shut down with the upset in the automotive world. And when I'm home I have a small fix and fab shop. :cool2:

flydrifter
11-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Husband, dad, Field Service Engineer for a capital equipment company, computer chip manufacturing.

the Q
11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
proud to be a local 150 operating engineer. presently unemployed.construction has taken a dump here.

mark8310
11-22-2008, 10:32 PM
I would'a thought, at least a couple of the professional internet welders present, would've owned up to their real status, by now .....:D:dizzy::dizzy::confused::confused:

wagin
11-22-2008, 10:42 PM
46 years old and retired....I do hobbies for a living now :)

Nicely done!! Wish I had it that together....Retired from what?

metalworker
11-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm in robotics. Material handling , removal, a lil welding here and there, now working in Mexico hoping to not get shut down with the upset in the automotive world. And when I'm home I have a small fix and fab shop. :cool2:
If you are in Mexico can you visit to me? Will be a pleasure to meet each other

Reebs
11-22-2008, 10:47 PM
8th grade science teacher. After 21 one years in of teaching I have concluded what we all thought 14year old kids are hormones with feet.

wagin
11-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Mechanical Maintenance tech at Phillip Morris facility for 13 yrs...Own small portable welding and fab. company. PM facility being decommissioned, closed within a year. Trying to build up my weld/fab business.

ironman715
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Ironworker Local 15 Hartford CT. I am pretty much a welding whore. I work almost exclusively as a welder through the hall. I have also worked as a permit hand for the Boilermakers union welding tube and plate. Trying to get a welding and fabrication business up and running currently.

'Mike

kepe
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Nicely done!! Wish I had it that together....Retired from what?

By trade, I was a fire engineer.

Poe
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Got my own show doing the none arc stuff on weird materials for whoever wants to pay me for it.

OMS
11-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Hello,

I operate a small metal fabrication shop for almost eight years now. I am the sole owner-employee. I fabricate, machine and weld Steel, Stainless steel, and Aluminum mainly for industry. I work from print, sample, or custom design.

I make Stainless steel liquid strainers of all sizes, Stainless Air Knives, Solution Spray headers.
Aluminum OSHA approved Safety platforms, ladders, work holding fixtures, etc.
Steel guards, ladders, platrorms, brackets, support fixtures, etc.

I also machine some plastics such as UHMW, Micarta and PVC industry related.

Most is custom design because no one can find the original prints and if they did they would be useless anyway.:D

Making sparks almost every day now and loving it.

The welding cutting/side of the shop:

Lincoln 125 plus
Millermatic 200 w/spool gun
Lincoln PowerMig 300
Lincoln PowerMig 350 MP w/push pull python
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 355
Old Thermo Dynamics 50 amp plasma
Purox O/A outfit

gaustin
11-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Currently working for myself as a consultant,inspector, and provide customer support for software company. Also BM.

boatbuoy
11-23-2008, 12:16 AM
been retired for a lot of years now. was in automotive stampings and welded assemblies for fisher body,ford motor,and a private supplier. been a hot rodder and diy'er forever.

Magnetic Mechanic
11-23-2008, 12:38 AM
I make Stainless steel liquid strainers of all sizes, Stainless Air Knives, Solution Spray headers.

Would you post some pictures?

littlefuzz
11-23-2008, 02:57 AM
littlefuzz what is the name of the company? Just want to see if we have any of your work at my work...

Designed Conveyor Systems (DCS) Most everything we do is for FedEx or UPS.

OMS
11-23-2008, 03:08 AM
Magnetic Mechanic,

Didn’t get a good digital camera until a year ago and my kids have it half the time so do not have good digital pics. of my projects readily available. This should give you an idea or what I was describing.

Atticabob
11-23-2008, 05:18 AM
If you are in Mexico can you visit to me? Will be a pleasure to meet each other

Actually I'm way up in Saltillo. Working on the new Phoenix engine plant. Otherwise I'd stop by and share a 24 of Indio :drinkup:

Burnit
11-23-2008, 06:17 AM
I work for a "specialty" welding repair shop. There are five of us including the owner and an apprentice from the high school.

In the shop we do alot of general repairs on all types of stuff, everything from a huge titanium valve housing (couple hundred pounds) last month to old ladies bringing in cast iron garden stuff, plows, trailers, you name it.

We also do alot of mobile work, railings, equipment repair, construction, staircases etc....

Occasionally we work on site for weeks/months on end, right now I am at a place in Milwaukee cladding the inside of a steam turbine housing that is about 70 years old.
We are completely cladding the inside with stainless sheet 3/16" thick. Many other surfaces are being built up with weld so they can be machined. All SS Flux-core and stick welding.

We also weld alot of copper and stellite for this company.

We have many government contracts, and alot of crazy certs.

I have lost count of how many certs I have at this point. :laugh:

jamlit
11-23-2008, 07:35 AM
42 years old.

Currently working as a Power engineer for a large sawmill. been there 11 years.
I have working in the Power Engineering field for 18 years. I have also worked in structural steel, mechanic, Millwright, sand blaster, and a few others. I have welded for over 20 years annd now have a small business do fab work.

Black Wolf
11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Raised around trucking, Dad and Uncle both had their own trucks. Spent my youth spinning wrenches on them for Dad.

Automotive Mechanic right out of High School for Ford and Chev/Olds dealerships.

Went into trucking in the Oilfield for over 10 years. Drove Winch Tractors, Bed Trucks, Picker Trucks and pulled wheels (8-16, 16-16, 16-16-8 etc) Hauled everything from drilling and service rigs, production testing equipment and under-balanced drilling equipment, to logs, crude oil, and condensate etc with Super 'B' trains.

Any time I was off the road I was fixing trucks, rigging up and welding on trucks, working on race cars etc. Last 3 years of trucking I had my own company servicing the Oilfield and Logging Industries with Winch Tractor and Lowbed services. Companies buying up companies, hard for an independant to survive, time came to sell of the trucking company and come off the road to my Contracting company doing Repair and Fabrication work on heavy class 8 trucks in the Oilfield for a former employer that owned a trucking company.

Worked as a welder and repair tech (Millwright) at a local tank production facility.

Worked as a welder at a local trucking company building Bed Trucks, Winch Tractors, and Picker Trucks, as well as repairs to Oilfield Drilling Equipment.

Flash forward to now, working at an Oilfield Rentals Company as a repair/fabrication welder repairing all sorts of rental equipment - Storage Tanks, and Solids Control systems.

I still try to find time to play with the Stock Cars (IMCA Modifieds) but work keeps getting in the way.

Somewhere along the line, my Contracting business took a back seat to working for wages, and while the company still exists on the books, I am content working as an employee for my current employer. With all the ups and downs around here, it is the safest decision right now for me and my family. As long as the cheques don't bounce on Friday, I'll be back here for work on Monday morning.

All summed up, my life revolves around three careers blended into one:

Mechanics, Trucking, and Welding.

linthead
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I own a lawn service (for the past 6 years). Before that, spent 20 years with Swift Textiles, a Georgia denim manufacturer. At Swift, I was a timestudy man (clipboard and stopwatch) the entire time. As for welding, I tinker with it now and then mainly to repair my trailer but I am also building a stick welder out of microwave oven high voltage transformers. I would like to take welding at the local tech school but being 50 years old, my body is too worn out to go to night class after cutting grass all day! :sleeping:

chenry
11-23-2008, 01:23 PM
20 years in the machinist and fabrication trades, focusing on custom machinery and hydraulics mostly,

Currently I design large water cooled steel fabrications for steel mills.

tresi
11-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Currently the equipment manager at a recycling facility. I done aircraft mechanics for the government for 15 years and 5 year of factory maintenance at a Co packaging plant.

duc
11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Flight Simulator techinician. I repair digital circuits, analog circuits, instruments, flying the sims for test of components, projector systems and computers up the wazoo. Hell some are made before I was born and I'm 26 now.

And I can admit I have a addiction to buying tools. Right now I'm finishing off at 74 hour week to help pay for that dam tube bender I just bought. And I'm also a part time college student in mechanical engineering.

Vipernut
11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Supervisor for a tier 1 automotive supplier. We make fibreglass and plastic valve covers for GM, Ford, Chrysler and Detroit Diesel.
Metal working keeps me from killing people - as in it's my stress reliever

Joel_BC
11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Former garlic farmer, house framer, newspaperman. Now an administrator for a farmers' business association. Builder in my spare time.

admswelding
11-23-2008, 07:41 PM
18 yrs union sheetmetal worker,13yrs owner/operator welding co after my Ft job with the union.Plow snow in the winter months also for state so when its snowing no :sleeping::dizzy::cry:

gordfraser
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a custom woodworking shop, we make all kinds of custom stuff. entry doors, cabinets, mouldings, handrails and anything curved. All out of wood.
when i left school @30 years ago i trained an a big yard that ysed to make oilrigs for the north sea (this was in the highlands of scotland), welded pipe for a year.
3/4" thick 10" diameter stick and innershiel.
Then we all got paid off and i started banging nails.
I do some repairs and some structural (mainly on big houses) welding here and there by popular demand. Variery is the spice of life as they say.

www.nantucketjoinery.com

A_DAB_will_do
11-23-2008, 08:43 PM
15 years as a metallurgist and chemist. Now turned welder. (I hate computers, bureaucrats, other engineers, and accountants) Until 3 weeks ago, been working construction since I finished welding school in april 08.

Started my own mobile fabrication and repair business back in May 08, but have really only been at it part time. I have one dedicated, repeat customer. Wheee!!! always looking for new opportunities...:)

Been working for Hobart, here in Troy, in the filler metals division for the last month. I spend my days welding AWS test plates and working out new welding procedures for petro-chemical piping. Not a bad gig, especially considering that I can't make it on my own yet.

me37
11-23-2008, 08:44 PM
First Engineer on a product (jet fuel, diesel fuel and gasoline) tanker.

TozziWelding
11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I do it all, weldor/fitter, layout, ironworker, as well as heavy equipment repair.

metalworker
11-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Actually I'm way up in Saltillo. Working on the new Phoenix engine plant. Otherwise I'd stop by and share a 24 of Indio :drinkup:

Well, take your time and when you finish the work we'll make contact for you be my guest emynder@yahoo.com.mx

Bruce
11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Working Chef, former Chef Instructor, cooking for 40 + years. Now I run a kitchen and staff of 15 cooks & bakers, we feed 1000-1500 students & staff breakfast, and roughly 3200 students, faculty & staff lunch. (A good example, we cook about 100 pounds of bacon everyday.)
Another Chef, my evening counter-part, does dinner, for about 800 students only.

tanglediver
11-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I yarddog at a local trailershop, and fill in for the permanently vacationing fabricator/weldor. I go to night school while I can still go, and I volunteer at church when I can.

My favorite color...as the fish comes to gaff!

"Color!"

"Gaff!"

"I have yet to try the calamari, though!" (http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/view/774)

JeffB
11-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Short answer, I fix dumpsters. From MIG welding 1/8 patches over rust holes to electronic and hydraulic troubleshooting on compactors, whatever it takes. Company, lets just say everything gets painted green after being repaired.

sail2u
11-24-2008, 05:39 AM
Psychiatrist, but erstwhile artist.
However, I got stuck with the challenge of tig al and ss, and making practical things like carts for the toys.

popsvi
11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
construction for the past 40 years. Working in estimating now and loving it.

Danny Lilly
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Currently work for Greenbriar. I repair bolsters for railcars. Im going to school takeing advanced pipe. Im gonna try to get on as a helper once everything kicks back on.

Bruce
11-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Currently work for Greenbriar. I repair bolsters for railcars. Im going to school takeing advanced pipe. Im gonna try to get on as a helper once everything kicks back on.

good luck Danny, we all are hoping 4 the same thing! :drinkup:

obewan
11-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I am a welding engineer for the largest turbine engine builder in the world.

Mostly, I work on aircraft parts. We supply 85% of everything that flies here in Jacksonville. I set up orbital tube welders, a laser, and vacuum furnace brazing processes.

The work is always interesting. We have over 700 products and 7000 CAD drawings at this location.

JiminIA
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Farmer
Own a small tractor repair/parts shop( trying to move more to welding than wrenching)
Volunteer Firefighter
Maybe doing some hotshot hauling in the near future
And anything else that comes my way....Jim

ElGuapo
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Mechanical Engineer, now 10 years mainly designing, directing and commisioning realisation of bridges, sluices, pumpstations and sewage treatment plants. Currently involved in realisation of a natural gas high pressure reservoir. Previous 6 years in (big) pump rentals and fabrication and doing loadouts with ballast equipment worldwide.

kolot
11-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Lt. , Career firefighter for major NE city, 24 hour shift every 4th day, thats around 95 days a year minus vacation, sick,and personal days. life is good. Takes care of bennies and insurance, Off days I weld and have a boccat, small dump truck and back hoe to stay busy and make money.

Flux core
11-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I am a welder :D or at least I think so anyways :laugh:

turbo38t
11-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I am a fulltime WELDER/mechanic. I do it all. Crane repair, intercoolers, big engine conversions(detroit diesels and such). I do line welding/boring on the side. I love welding. Everyone tells me I am the best welder they have seen, but I think I am hurting in the TIG department. I love it all, but crave TIG work and never get to do it except for at home. I love making stuff, frames, linkages, gadgets, anything......it's gotta be cool in the end though. 31 years old , oh and I ride freestyle motocross. Dave

lewray
11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Im a tech for a global evil corporation.....(half way joking about the evil part). I repair the equiptment that provides and prints private data and print info on bills, checks, and various other forms so they can arrive soundly in our mailboxes.:rolleyes: On call all the time....even Thanksgiving.

Also try and keep a humble welding and fab shop afloat when I can.:p

snoeproe
11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Licensed Operating Engineer. Working in a pulp/paper mill, 14 years, IAM local 771

Billdacat
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Combat systems integration for the Navy’s Aegis BMD program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTINGadWfs

fivonut
11-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't post much here but I'm a tester and Manufacturing Rep. for Miller's XMT350 line.

MarkBall2
11-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Nurse for the past 18 years, taking care of everyone else's loved ones.

I also do fabrication for myself, fix vehicles, build guns for myself (semi-auto Main Battle Rifles) and generally have fun. I used to be a mechanic & fixed F-4's and F-111's for the Air Force in another lifetime.

Blackhawk
11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm a machinist , previously worked at Penn United Technologies running 8 Axis Hardinge lathes.(mostly made downhole tooling)
moved to Armstrong Precision Manufacturing (repair shop for 2 refractory brick companies),running blanchard grinders, Hurco machining centers and a couple 2 axis cnc lathes, welding and fab is a decent bit of our work. Today I was building up t slots on a steam powered rotary table for remachining. After lunch I welded (3) 2 direction transfer dog assemblies that are made to pull the cars that carry the brick through the kiln

farmersamm
11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm a machinist , previously worked at Penn United Technologies running 8 Axis Hardinge lathes.(mostly made downhole tooling)
moved to Armstrong Precision Manufacturing (repair shop for 2 refractory brick companies),running blanchard grinders, Hurco machining centers and a couple 2 axis cnc lathes, welding and fab is a decent bit of our work. Today I was building up t slots on a steam powered rotary table for remachining. After lunch I welded (3) 2 direction transfer dog assemblies that are made to pull the cars that carry the brick through the kiln

Thank God there's still some heavy industry left in PA.

Newfie_1986
11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
In school to become a weldor. I finish in Feb. Can't wait !

Blackhawk
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I am completely self taught(welding wise) and the guy who welded everything before i started there is 61 y/o and went to "school" for welding,I have to laugh because his welds look horrible(bubblegum and bird****), and i get compliments on mine all the time,

MarkBall2
11-26-2008, 09:19 PM
That sounds like me......... I'm pretty much self taught. Grew up on the farm where we had an old stick welder. I bought a Hobart H 175 several years ago & taught myself how to use it.

I can tell when I'm out of practice too. My first welds look horrible, then after they are ground down & re-welded, they look much better. Still learning how the machine likes to run, only have about 20 hours on it. I think it's easier to use the wire feed, cause I can turn it down much more than I ever could that old stick welder. I use mostly flux core 0.30 wire & it does the job for me.

Teddco
11-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Nuclear Safety Engineer

ls1ta
11-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Me>http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/kisshand.gif<You

OR

Me>http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/kissass.gif<You

You guys can pick between those two jobs.

Bob
11-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Welding business. About half ornamental and the other half, anything else.

stevinator
11-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Installing,inspecting and maintaining pressure facilities of various sizes for a natural gas co.28yrs worth for the same co.

sickytwisted
11-28-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm just a mo fo. I work general construction. The high end kind. I'm no hack, "put a water heater in for fifty dollars" joe blow. I'm a chingon. I'm actually in school now working on my industrial arts degree. For money, I work construction and I do it well.:gunsfirin

whitehendrix!
11-28-2008, 01:05 AM
well, i kinda suck, right now.. lol.. used to be better off than i am now.. i hit hard times. .they hit back.. hard.. lol

i am currently a motorcycle mechanic.. sadly, the cold has murdered business. still going tho, some how..

i was (in order, after getting my electrical degree)

-PLC programmer/electrician/controls expert for a oil/fuel filter shell plant.. started learning bits of the machining and welding trade here. drove the lift occasionally when needed.

learned the beauty of a JLG.

it pays off...

here.

-paper mill mechanic and fabricator (for about 4 years.) this place was a certified chit hole, but i honed my stick welding skills here to absolute perfecting on cast, stainless and carbon steels. didn't do much electrical.. it was subbed. ( that was stupid of them)

learned a bit more machining and a bunch of welding tips and tricks from a full time subcontracted fabricator.. i had never seen "weave" welds i guess you call em? where you "walk" the torch by rolling it on the cup back and forth..

i thought a robot did it, til i saw the main man doin it one day. i was astounded.
also drove lifts, loaders, bobcats and tractor trailer there.

had an accident welding where a hot spall of stainless dropped in my boot ..(pant leg wasn't down the whole way..spall rolled off a 15" stainless pipe and caught right foot on fire, basically.. 1/4" deep hole, 2" in dia.. (it splattered) almost cost me my foot..) they got whiny about my showing up with flip-flops and being on light duty.. took like 3 months to heal.. i got sick of them bitching about it.. it was doctor's orders, and the plant manager agreed.. the maint shop boss was a tool, tho.. (he HATED me..lol) after i healed up a few months later..

- went to pavestone as an electrical supervisor and engineer, basically.

did seimens and allen-bradley PLC work, low voltage DC (24V) and "low" voltage AC (480V) wiring and controls engineering, maintenance, fabrication, welding, machining, drove loaders (BIGass ones like a volvo L110), lifts, and abused the golf cart. (but i also fixed it and maintained it, too.. valve adjustments, gas, oil changes and such..), worked on robots and cool stuff.

did alot there that i should have had to do, but for $50K a year, hey.. i'll weld and whatnot!! haha.. perfected my Mig and overhead stick welding here. found out that i can catch cememnt compounds on fire, but only thru experimentation and curiosity.. i wanted to make sure i didn't burn a plant down.. :) tried welding aluminum here with mig for the first time.. epic failure

lost that job to.. to lets say "anger management"

begin work as a CNC operator and full time machinist.. learned TIG welding here. learned the basics ot tigging carbon steels, stainless and got pretty decent at aluminum.

got pulled over coming home from work one night, got arrested and bike impounded for "driving on a suspended license" due to an oldass unpaid speeding ticket from eons ago.. (and it was only like 42 in a 35.. something stupid like that..)

eneded up going to jail for that and another fine and lost that job :(

now, (still not driving.. lol.. ) back to bike mechanic..

i had a shop for 4 years on my own and did electrical work on the side for the last 11 years.. i still do it when it comes up.

so, everything kinda sucks right now, but eh.. i brought it upon myself.. gonna open a bike shop up in Nc soon.. gonna be awesome, i feel.

and theres my real basic, condense story. yay.

i'm still an EE, fabricator and machinist in my mind!! :p

weekender
12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
I work for Toyota building mini-vans.

dangthatshot
12-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Corporate Aircraft Mechanic, travel all around the world fixing high dollar aircraft. pushing in circuit breakers that the college educated pilot can't seem to find. try to practice my welding when i'm home.
:)

powerplantranger
12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Power Plant Controlroom Operator... Gas, Coal, Single and Combined cycle... it's just a matter of time before they have us doing the craft jobs:nono:...

MrLeadMan
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Now-Im a lead welder for an ag implement company.
Before-
1 was a machinist/ welder for hydraulic cylinder producer.
2 drove offroad dumptruck
3 tested electrical tranformers
4 manual machinist for hydraulic cylinder custom shop
5 manual machinst in job shop
6 weldlathe operator in hydraulic cylinder plant( same one in #1)
7 welders helper in tank shop
8 farm hand growing up

lugweld
12-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I bet that would be JD? I had a friend that was an engineer out there and was so glad to leave, thanks to the MisManagement.

weldsupply
12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I own and operate Shafer & Shafer Welding Supplies in lovely Oneida, TN. We are just a small store, that do our very best to serve our local area with honest dependable service, and fair prices. Before I started this, I was a Sonar Tech on 2 different Fast Attach Submarines.. Carl

Dualie
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
4th generation fabricator / iron worker. 3rd generation in the family business which has been around since 1952.

I'm also a CDL holder NCCCO Licensed crane operator for all category. And about 20 other BS titles that I have acquired over the years.

joeboo
12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Gas Fitter 1 (Industrial/commercial license) Oil Burner Tech 2 (residential license. need more hours to get my oil burner 1).

Work mainly on fire tube boilers, mostly scotch marine.

dabar39
12-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I do what ever it takes to keep the bills paid and the doors open and a roof over my head.

I work on anything from building trailers to citrus and vegetable processing machinery. Some days I'm doing mechanical work or paint and body work on cars and trucks, and I'm also a subcontractor for a aircraft manufacturer making engine cradles for them when their weld shop gets backed up.

Knotbored
12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Retired manufacturing engineer
Wife tells the grandkids "They pay grandpa not to go to work"

Hammack_Welding
12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Dang, I'm gone for a couple weeks and all these new names on the board. I have my own welding business. Mainly Farm, Timber equipment repair and fabrication, but as some of you older members know I do pretty much anything thrown at me if I can make money at it.

YZFR6
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
It was interesting reading all these posts. Quiet the diverse crowd. Like many on here I am a jack of all trades. Manage a large team of technicians for Philips in their health care division. Skills are computers, electrical, programming/electronics, mathematics and mechanics. I like to tinker and fix things. Motorcycles are my main hobby.

welderguy
12-07-2008, 12:50 AM
welding instructor at two colleges in Toronto, Ontario
Stanford International College (http://www.myspace.com/stanfordcollegewelding)
George Brown College (http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod/cewskcrss.P_ProgStream?area_code=PA0019&stream_code=PS0189)
supervisor for CWB certified company
I have no social life..haha

IamVince
12-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Fine wood work this handrail was PITA a company from the state's made it but some of the arms had to be moved.See my 180 at the top of the stairs
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6609/icmcstairs010sb9.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icmcstairs010sb9.jpg)
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3201/icmcstairs004aa3.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icmcstairs004aa3.jpg)

Burnit
12-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Hey Vince, do you know who the company from the states was?

IamVince
12-07-2008, 06:48 AM
I never asked but I will.Great group of guys to work with.Half of their shop was for steel fab,the other for wood.They were out of Ft.Lauderdale FL.

Bruce
12-07-2008, 05:49 PM
What materials are the risers/treads, how wide are the stairs?
Nice Looking Work, :drinkup:

IamVince
12-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Marble...I never put a tape to them and they were fabed in the states.A crew came down and pieced it together..about halfway through it I was added to the crew to help speed things up.That stuff is just slow going...you mess it up HomeDepo can't help you.
A few more pics
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2552/icmcstairs006dg5.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icmcstairs006dg5.jpg)
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3089/icmcstairs005um3.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icmcstairs005um3.jpg)
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4765/icmcstairs002vc2.jpg (http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=icmcstairs002vc2.jpg)
some of the stone work
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3112/lastweekicmc010al5.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lastweekicmc010al5.jpg)
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/4305/lastweekicmc006mc9.jpg (http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lastweekicmc006mc9.jpg)

IamVince
12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
This is the same building when I got there.
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3029/rot02271ni4.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rot02271ni4.jpg)

Bruce
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Lots of very cool materials, good pics to!
TFS,
Seasons Greetings,

scrappile
12-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I am an auto mechanic for the last 5 years

bLu-Z64
12-10-2008, 07:08 AM
My main profession is a welding supervisor for Ferguson Fire and Fabrication. However I do many different side projects, mostly small gifts and what not hand fabricated out of different materials. Body work, performance auto work (own a 2002 Trans Am) painting, art work etc etc. I love welding though and am switching companies in the new year. Constellation Energy..cant go wrong with power plants. :D

sunline
12-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Boattrash; run a tugboat hauling oil around west coast. I like to make stuff, built a boat and lotso of small stuff. Furniture lately....

thebighammer1
12-10-2008, 09:34 PM
sevice tech ind deere dealer i do the hydraulic hammer repair and cradle welding repair

LIGoomba
12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Lt. with the NYPD. 18 1/2 years.Can't wait to pack it in and start restoring and racing cars again!!!!

Supe
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Construction QC/Weld Engineer for the Fossil Power division of one of the bigger EPC companies. Quite a bit of code compliance issues, writing procedures, writing project specifications for welding/NDE, etc. I also do a fair bit of quality audits/site surveillances.

Pretty boring stuff to most people, but I'll be leaving the home office and will be on one of our clean coal sites through project completion in about 6 months or so.

mnoeltne
12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I run the computers for a Casino at the Utah/Nevada state line (I'm IT Director).

The welding is to support my hobby of tinkering with cars and Jeeps. I'm purely an amateur at welding.

Mark N

Martygras
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Pharmacist...... I actually own a small pharmacy here in Oregon. Nothing like the big guys, but it pays the bills.

SolidWelder
12-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Residential structural/foundation engineer for 25 years. Have started welding my own (small) pile load test frames.
Marvin

crazyfritz
12-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I full time for a shop that manufacturers boat Tops, Towers and Ski arches made of anodized aluminum. Fabricate,fixture and weld there and it is a lot of fun.

On the side I do custom boat work and Ornamental iron plus all the other stuff I can get my hands on.

johnsonmopar
12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Looks like we have everything here. I am sure glad that I started this thread. It is neat to see everything. Matthew

duaneb55
12-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Lt. with the NYPD. 18 1/2 years.Can't wait to pack it in and start restoring and racing cars again!!!!

Sweet looking SS and shop Lt. I especially like the 'crank' stool.

Helped build a bunch of the NYPD Rescues, K-9 Units, Bomb Units, etc while with Saulsbury Fire Equipment out of Tully/Preble, NY years ago.

Be Safe!

wd40prerunner
12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
im a journeyman in the local 501 operating engineers union were i do a little of everything and im going to school to become a full time weldor/fabricator since its the only thing i have a passion for.

Ultrachop
12-19-2008, 03:20 AM
New on the board,
56 retired from the Elevator Union (thought I did it right with my outside investments, now I am working to save what is left. I started in the trade in 1970 cause I was the only one that could pass the testing required to seismic specs. Always wanted to tig weld after gas welding Rag and Tube airplanes that I flew modified and wrecked. Just last week bought my first tig welder (Dynasty200dx) I just emptied my first 150cf gas bottle so I went and bought a 330cf (determined to get gooder) Signed up for a advanced welding class at the CC and having a blast!

Kangi
12-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Freelance welding - fixing broke trucks and excavators whatever comes in, hell I've got a dozen bar stools in the shop looking for a little attention.

Learned most my welding working as a Boilermaker (local 647) loved the work just too hard on the body and too much travel.

dellwas
12-19-2008, 08:12 AM
I work in I.T. for the Nova Scotia Gov't. Currently with Health, but spent a number of years with Transportation.

Former pro motorcycle mechanic, then got sensible and went to work in gov't. :rolleyes:

naughtyboy
09-23-2011, 03:54 AM
work in a dairy repairing all machinery on plastic bottle making side.
in process of replacing 2300mtrs of conveyor tracking before refurbing one of machines from top to bottom.

villageboatshop
09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I've been a wooden boat carpenter for the last 8 years. I've worked in several shops and now have a shop of my own. It's still part time but growing.

I've TIG welded steel and stainless in the past. I have no welding equipment at the moment. My first equipment will be an Oxy Acetylene rig.

The only metalwork I can show at the moment would be this black powder cannon I built.
http://www.villageboatshop.com/cannon.html

This forum has been a great source of information.
Patrick

Bruce
09-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey Patrick,
That's a nice little cannon you put together, nice report.

sixxgeeee
09-23-2011, 05:47 PM
i build the liebherr 282b, liebherr 282c, and have built the liebherr 996 excavator.I currently am in training to travel and do repairs on liebherrs biggest crawler cranes and shipcranes/harbor cranes all over the world

sixxgeeee
09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I full time for a shop that manufacturers boat Tops, Towers and Ski arches made of anodized aluminum. Fabricate,fixture and weld there and it is a lot of fun.

On the side I do custom boat work and Ornamental iron plus all the other stuff I can get my hands on.

What state do you live in crazy fritz? when i was in high school i did this same type of work for a company named standard marine in virginia

Cliff Lodes
09-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Im a civil engineer who dual minored in business and spanish. I owned a welding/steel erection company until about 3 months when i sold it to my old right hand man. it was time to put my book smarts to work and watch that number in my bank account get bigger

six
09-24-2011, 02:09 AM
Fishing in the summer........ some welding in the winter... still trying to figure it out.

www.fishwithhill.com

UPweld
09-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Welder in training at Marinette Marine and loving every minute of it!

VPT
09-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I drive this on top secret missions.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMXJUxPub5XRViqR0_XxbHgwChNoYa_ 6b2ALF0dZW0igGyNGOlc2dxDVVEfg

Dantheman
09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Journeyman welder in a copper mine.

PapaLion
09-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Retired music shop owner. I have a weakness for projects, i go crazy just sitting.

lamename
05-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Work for a utility. Title says Lineman A, but don't do that stuff too much anymore. I maintain the controls,equipment, and communications in our substations, water towers, well houses etc. Too much b.s. to list.....and I make the coffee.
Have a small home based business for the past 13 yrs that I slow down for the summer so I can golf and fish.

wb4rt
05-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Manager of Master Data Management for Fortune 500 carpet manufacturer. That's why I'm ready to burn some steel when I get home!

Zmechanic
05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
For the first eight hours a day I'm an electrical engineer specializing in analog design for a test and measurement company.

For the next 4 hours or so a day, I'm a welder/fabricator/machinist/whateverelseneedstobedone at a local race car shop.

Went to school for engineering, but racing is in the family blood.

ThorsHammer
05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm an insurance agent selling medical and dental benefits to businesses for their employees in Washington state. I also have a tiny fabrication business.

rabidchimp
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I have a small owner-operator business www.rabidchimp.com that started out in 02 specializing in 1982-1986 Toyota Supras. At first, I sold air filter kits and powder coated valve covers for the car by mail order for a few years, then got my biz license in 02. Had a local mandrel bender shop make an intake pipe kit for the car, then met a fabricator that used to work at that shop while I was managing a speed shop specializing in turbo cars. That fabricator was doing production work for the speed shop on the side, while still working at the mandrel bending outfit. Right after meeting that guy, he gave up on his business, and gave his contacts and work to a young man who had just quit working at the mandrel bending shop. He was hungry for work, and damn good at it. He was responsible for making my first exhaust systems for the old Supras. For a couple years, he did all of my fab work, as I didn't have a clue what I was doing, and had nothing but hand tools at the time. In 04, we were supposed to be going in on a work space together with another fella, but it didn't pan out (he and the other fella parted ways), so it was just me and the other fella in that shop. The main reason I was going to rent that space was so I could be in-house with my fabricator. I'd given my verbal on a one year agreement, so I stuck it out.
I had since quit working for the speed shop, had a three year old mortgage (was 28 or so at the time), and dove head first into running my own show. A couple years into that, and things didn't work out so well, and I lost my house. With the proceeds of the trustee sale, I invested in my business. Got my first welding machine, Lincoln 175 mig, 80 gallon air compressor, Chop saw, various fabrication tools....clamps, etc. I started practicing, learned how to build my own production exhaust systems, built one-off systems for other vehicles, and started building one-off turbo kits for some local cars. I couldn't weld yet, so I'd just do the fitting, and take it to a real man for finish welding. Eventually, I took over the finish welding end of things. Also learned how to build jigs for production work of various automotive items.

While owning my business, I've worked for other people. Its nice to get paid to learn. I worked at a body shop for short time, had a part time job as a mechanic for a while, and for about nine months, worked as a Sawyer at a heavy duty fab facility in 2011. Got laid off from that last November, and its a good thing I'd been working on ramping up my business, because I planned on quitting at the beginning of this year (production manager was a royal *******).

I never gave up on my business throughout the ten years its been legit, even while working for others. Since I got laid off from the fab shop last year, I knew I didn't really want to work for others again, so I opened up my own shop at the beginning of November. I still specialize in Toyota Supras, but will do maintenance and repair on whatever comes in the door. I enjoy the repair end of things, but I want to be doing metal work, automotive or otherwise. I have done metal work out of the shop, but don't have any regular customers. I built a soap cutter (will post up pics soon enough) for a friend in Texas, have done some forklift exhaust work for the ******* next door to me, and have done light fabrication (mainly angle iron and square tube brackets, cabinet caster frames) for another local cabinet manufacturer.

I've been acquiring a good bit of equipment, and I THINK I'm getting my shop set up to do mostly metal work. In the last year or so, I've picked up the following toys, and I'm still learning how to use some of them.
1980s Hardinge Turret Lathe (got it on trade for an old CR500)
~14" JET vertical bandsaw (local wrecking yard that went out of business)
Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig
Jet horizontal bandsaw
12 ton HF hydraulic press
~16" Jet drill press (floor mounted)
Victor O/A setup

I'm gettin' there...just gotta make it happen.
-Aaron

kevinacaron
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Sculptor, work in welded steel, copper and aluminum. For the last 6 years that is all is do.

gwiley
05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I just hit the 25 year mark as a "computer professional" - currently working at Verisign where I am a systems architect for the COM/NET DNS resolution platforms, A and J root DNS resolution platforms and other bits and pieces that keep the internet running smoothly.

I weld evenings and weekends to keep my own equipment running or making attachments and tools - I spend time harvesting firewood through the year using a skid steer.

Lutadam
05-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Apart from Welding (5yrs experience), I'm a full time professional artist / painter / designer since 1994. I also have a 10 years' experience in construction!!

ishuum
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Shoe horses -aka farrier service. One of the many things I like about it is all tools-- including welders, grinders etc. are write offs. :drinkup:

Mick120
05-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Ex motor mechanic....had so many different types of jobs over the years I've lost count, been self employed since the early 90's.
Have my own, one man business, CNC plasma cutting, steel, aluminium and stainless manufacture and welding.
I also manufacture a CNC plasma table breakaway machine torch mount, that's sold and in use around the planet.

manning
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm a dairy and crop farmer. I make a few bucks on the side welding things most people won't try themselves. I have a bit of experience of finding a way to fix things from farming, but mainly I weld stainless and aluminum for people.

justinT
05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
I just weld pipe at a shipyard in paradise :]

bigb
05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Electrical contractor, went on my own 12 years ago.

Eliotmay@yahoo.com
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Physician assistant pediatric heart surgery 27 years. Writer illustrator of " pediatric heart surgery; a ready reference for professionals"

Mick120
05-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Physician assistant pediatric heart surgery 27 years. Writer illustrator of " pediatric heart surgery; a ready reference for professionals"

Just goes to show what a diverse group of folks that enjoy welding.....:drinkup:

★ NoBigDeal Fab ★
05-30-2012, 10:43 PM
I repair life support systems for a living. I am the unseen guy in a hospital that makes sure your drugs are delivered in the correct dose the nurse sets on your pump, that you receive the correct ammout of oxygen from the ventilator that is breathing for you, I make sure that x-ray you just got did not hit you with too much radiation. I'm the one that makes sure the equipment works when you need it most. If my job is done correctly, you will never even know my job exists.

I'm also in the process of starting up a side business as a CNC cutter and metal art fabrication. That's about it

angus31632
05-31-2012, 12:13 AM
20 years old from Valdosta, Georgia. started tech school when i was a junior in high school learned all processes on plate and little pipe, then made my way to the big city and got in the United Association Local Union 72 in Atlanta, Georgia. Spent my first year as a helper at plant Jack Mac. got laid off spent the nest 4 months eating roman noddles and spam barely making it by just to go and weld im our shop everyday to get my first cert (6010-7018 2" .625 wall) got it got back out to jack welding hangers on unit 6 making a little more money (80% of journeymen). Laid off in march now back in the shop for a month got my 63 (70s2-7018 on same pipe and position) got it then started working on a 1" 308ss test for a plant in Aiken SC passed the test for the ATL hall and im waiting to test for the job now.

bhardy501
05-31-2012, 12:30 AM
Paramedic for one of the local hospital based ambulance services. Been in EMS for 13 years. Spent 10 years prior to that as a truck driver.

Seafarer12
05-31-2012, 12:54 AM
My title is Power Plant Specialist Sr. Which means I am an electrical, instrument, and controls tech at a gas turbine power plant. I dabble in a little bit of everything thats why I like my job. One day might be working on a control valve or protective relay next day might be designing logic on our controls system.

grumpycricket
05-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Tool & Die weldor for 25+ years. Aerospace & fab welding for the balance of my time in the rat race. Oh,and a little metal sculpting.:cool:

assassin_works
05-31-2012, 01:50 AM
i am framer at a company that builds portable buildings from (7-3:30) after 4pm what ever buzzes the phone general labor /welder /mechanic

Inkydoggy
05-31-2012, 02:20 AM
My father ran a welding & machine shop plus a junk yard when I was young. I grew up learning about mechanical things and learned to weld at age 9. I was small enough to fit into the guys stock cars they would bring over that raced on the local track Now owned by Dave Blaney and I would get in and weld their roll bars in for them. I also learned electronics on my own and read every book I could lay my hands on. Worked in a couple mills locally and was a mill-write for some time and know just about all there is to fixing things. Did a stint as a prison officer for 22 years but had to retire from that because of four back surgery's from it rolling around with the playmates penned up inside. Now I just repair laptop computers and do fixing of almost everything for anyone in the family to keep busy. I buy busted air compressors and repair them to have something to do and make a few bucks doing that to help out the pension check. I am a big Craigs List fan and on there constantly looking for good deals I can do a little with and make a few bucks fixing up the items I buy broken there.

Well If you read any of my posts you will see I should have been a comedian but never tried that. Just do it as it comes.

"Got my windshield wiper cleaning fluid mixed up the other day with my Lambrusco and this morning when I went outside there was three winos licking my windshield."

:D:D:D

WyoRoy
05-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Locomotive Engineer with BNSF since '79. What do I do....mostly the Sunday New York Times Crossword puzzles...when the FRA isn't looking...while waiting for a train to fail the hill.

WeldorWes
05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
i work in the nuclear and aerospace field for a DOD defense contractor as a Tig weldor cant really go into much more then that on the info

Discoman
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Freelance bum, essentially. Can do several different jobs, and I do several different jobs, but only really as a call me if you need me type.

66mynd
05-31-2012, 07:28 PM
NYC union structural ironworker. I also build/fix things in my garage.

BrianC
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Fab/repair shop owner since 1984, mostly on the automotive side,(east coast = rust) and cranky old man most of the time, haha,Brian

Pavinsteelman
05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Estimator Harris Structural Steel 108 years of bridge fabricating

mafiacustomz
06-01-2012, 01:50 AM
WOW alot of cool jobs makes me not want to post what i do.

Self taught mechanic, body work, welding, fabrication, and audio/video and i work from home doing this and make very little money.

toycoma98
06-01-2012, 02:43 AM
No job. I ride a scooter. I'm just a student using post 911 gi bill, and pell grant, thats my income.

Appalachian
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm a Spanish teacher

ironmangq
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Commercial construction project manager/ construction estimator/ general contractor Is what I do

Jkirisits
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I am a maintenance person at a local pork processing plant. Before that, I was a biomedical electronics tech. Did that for almost 20 years. Those jobs have dried up in this area, so I switched careers for the present time.
Also, I have a journeymans card in equipment operations from the department of labor. 10 years in the Air Force Reserve/Guard, in the middle of a medical retirement.
Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

X hunter
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I currently get my check from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity but I am a Journeyman Ironworker. I have worked at the Space Center and for large contractors building hotels in Orlando. And a few pre-cast parking garages.

DanT
06-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Glad to see this thread was rescusitated after nearly 3 years, but then I guess that's what happens when you're on page 2 of search results.

I spent time woodworking with my dad growing up so I have more experience in wood than metal. I've been learning a lot working alongside my father-in-law reviving my first house that we bought after it was was foreclosed back in '09. I'm here to learn about the dark side of the shop (metal) and have benefitted from the wisdom and experience of others.

I've been a photographer, computer/network technician, and currently occupying an office chair for a financial industry processor everyone would recognize.

I'd rather be burning metal if it paid the same :gunsfirin

slim83
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Combination rig welder. Weld pipe and work in plants/stations. Currently working in a Fab shop running my rig. Love it so far. Been working this industry since 2001

stiffman
06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I work in the audio visual department at one of the university around here. I've been there for almost 5 years now. Boring as hell these days.
but the internet is free, and they pretty much leave us alone. Just need to answer calls occasionally
Its getting a bit of a shake up at the moment, they have gotten rid of the 3 technicians that used to do all the real work, outsourced most of their jobs, and we get the rest, so hopefully we'll get to do something interesting now.

Before that, I worked in corporate AV, setting up conferences and the likes. Good work, hard work. I enjoyed the job, but the hours are a killer.

Before that i had a few short term IT jobs, and before that I was a student.

If I could afford it, and knew what to do, I'd consider changing directions, and working in a field where I got to make stuff, like a fab shop or something, but I get paid reasonably well in my current job, and starting at the bottom of a new field never pays very well, for obvious reasons.

If I ever found myself unemployed for a long period of time, or 18 again, I'd think about changing

Rkott4
06-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Really diverse crowd! :drinkup:
Construction Supervisor for a rail car manufacturer. Before that I worked for a trailer manufacturer as a welder/Supervisor.

zipzit
06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I was an automotive design engineer, then numerous engineering and program management jobs for a US based Auto/Truck manufacturer. I spent most of my time recently launching new models at assembly plants. Got my involuntary seperation termination on thursday this week (my division is shutting down), but I'm geeked. Onward to new horizons!

Zip.
Soon to be departing Metro Detroit.. in search of warmer climates.

★ NoBigDeal Fab ★
06-02-2012, 02:48 AM
I am a maintenance person at a local pork processing plant. Before that, I was a biomedical electronics tech. Did that for almost 20 years. Those jobs have dried up in this area, so I switched careers for the present time.
Also, I have a journeymans card in equipment operations from the department of labor. 10 years in the Air Force Reserve/Guard, in the middle of a medical retirement.
Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.
You are the first BMET that I have run into on any of the message boards that I visit. It's nice to see another. (even if your out of the game) jobs have dried up here our shop has lost 4 techs in the past year and have not filled the positions. It's been tough to keep up with the added workload. But we manage.

Anyway welcome to welding web.

CharleyL
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm a semi-retired automation engineer (EE). For most of my career I've been designing, building, supervising the installation of new control systems for large scale manufacturing automation projects. I'm also a retired fire marshal. I'm presently designing and building new exhibits for the North Carolina science museums. I'm also helping my son get his welding business off the ground. For the most part, he is the weldor, and I'm the assistant / partner.

Charley

eclipse
06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I install fences. All types. About once a month I get to weld up a chain link gate. Taking night classes for my AAS in Welding Technology. Hopefully by the time I'm done, all my debt will be paid off then I can afford to start as a welder's helper or the like. I'd prefer that be before my shoulders give out as well.

Nammy
06-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Retired military, 30 year served!

Jkirisits
06-02-2012, 11:45 PM
You are the first BMET that I have run into on any of the message boards that I visit. It's nice to see another. (even if your out of the game) jobs have dried up here our shop has lost 4 techs in the past year and have not filled the positions. It's been tough to keep up with the added workload. But we manage.

Anyway welcome to welding web.

You're correct, I have not seen too many BMETs on the forums I frequent either. I do plan on getting back into it after my kids get out of high school. I don't want to move them now. But who knows, maybe the holy grail of jobs will fall in my lap before I get back into the BMET thing. I was getting burnt out anyway. I worked for a third party that was more interested in the mighty dollar instead of helping people.

★ NoBigDeal Fab ★
06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I was getting burnt out anyway. I worked for a third party that was more interested in the mighty dollar instead of helping people.

Ooh how I know that feeling. We are hospital employees but managed by a third party. And all they care about is the mighty dollar. It's a shame really. It should be about healthcare not the $$$$$

drjuan
06-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Boilermaker, proud member of local 83, Owned my own auto repair and glass shops for 25 years, closed them down, kept the equipment, always fabricated my own dirt track chassis, car trailers and done everything from remodel my rental properties to build buildings and decks and porches to mobile auto and welding service when Im on layoff, I should just go fishing some day soon,
New to the forum this last week, glad to be here, and lots of good reading,

FODFA
06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
A picture tells a thousand words.

Nuff said!

beamwalker
06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
my name states what i do

weldermike
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
my name states what i do

So what do you do besides walk around on beams. Any other tricks, alot of us have done that while performing a job!

GiddyWelder
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
To contribute to this thread I am a letter carrier(32 years) and a first class idiot when it comes to welding....

rancher76
06-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Maintenance machanic/welder at a commercial graphics manufacturing facility for 15 years. Boilermaker for 1-1/2 years before that. Have a small ranch, 30 head of cattle. Have ran my own small fabrication/repair shop for about 10 years now, shop work and portable. Hope to work into that full time. I have several repeat customers,ranging from heavy eqipment repairs to building corrals, just nothing big enough yet!

Steelwill
06-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Mechanic and heavy equipment operator for the City of inkster been employed there for 14 years. I have been wrenching for about 20 years.

Joker11
06-03-2012, 11:57 PM
I work in the telecommunications business and cover many aspects of it as well as a lot of geographical area. My area of On Call is the entire western half of Arizona from Phoenix west, from the mexico border north to the outskirts of Las Vegas.
I maintain generators from 60kw on up to 850kw. I work on HVAC systems, alarm systems, transport systems for long haul, I prevent underground cable damage, splice fiber, install equipment, decom old equipment, general maintenance, inspections, approvals, rarely manage others under me but have done so with up to 8 people. OnCall 24/7/365 minus company holidays and scheduled vacation time. I interact and turn up circuits with the local phone company as well as the many military installations around my area.Shipping and receiving as well as inventory. Been doing it for the last 15 years with the same company.
I think that juuuust about covers it.

Thanks if you took the time to read it all!!!!!

DanT
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Nuff said!

So you're a photographer?

:jester:

MOE1
06-04-2012, 04:28 PM
i currently work with machinery at a rental store, did construction mechanics prior. leaving for mmi in orlando, in august, gonna spend the rest of my life doing fab work, try building bikes, playing with my lightning and anything else fast.

astaindsoul5446
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I was a carpenter for 10 years, working for others, then went to work for my self, where New york made it impossible for us little guys to make money, so i shut that down and since became a boilermaker, i weld/fabricate on down time and also still do roofs, siding, additions, foundations ete. I have a "degree" in masonary technologies, which basically qualifies me to be a certifide mud slinger lol

FODFA
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
So you're a photographer?

:jester:

How did you guess:D It was the fuzzy out of focus pic that gave it away I guess

Cheers Andrew

PD2BOAT
08-06-2012, 10:16 PM
I am the Operations Manager for a marine salvage company (fancy name for the guy that does everything nobody else will do, or is competent enough to do). I handle all staff scheduling,personally maintain five responce vessels that run about 100hrs each per month,That have to be ready to go 24/7. Build one new responce vessel every year to replace oldest of the fleet. Maintain large assortment of dive gear and salvage equipment. Always pursuing new channels of revenue like government contracts, grants and bids. We are also on the water hazmat first responders me being the containment and recovery supervisor. Thats during the day @
night from 5pm to 9am I am on call to perform salvage and vessel assistance as a licenced USCG Master Captain I personally average about 95 night cases per year.
The most fulfilling career I could possibly imagine!!!

Hanzelz
08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Emergency Dept reg nurse,

jwmacawful
08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
welder in a large prison complex on an island in nyc. i've been there almost 25 years. before that was a structural ironworker. i been welding about 40 years

weldermike
08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
welder in a large prison complex on an island in nyc. i've been there almost 25 years. before that was a structural ironworker. i been welding about 40 years

Whats up bud, I have a buddy that works there in the HVAC unit, big guy named Tony. I know it's a big facility but figd i would throw it out there.

OPUS FERRO
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
johnsonmopar

I'm a propagandist. This forum allows me to break from my day-job and tell the truth.

Opus

soutthpaw
08-20-2012, 10:43 PM
johnsonmopar

I'm a propagandist. This forum allows me to break from my day-job and tell the truth.

Opus

I take it that is like a lobbyist for companies to brainwash the public instead of politicians? Like the guy in the movie about the tobacco company. Spin doctor right.. probably want to avoid the off topic section then.

Certifiable
08-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Sculptor & designer, art professor and freelance welder.

docwelder
12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
welder in a large prison complex located on an island in nyc

dellwas
12-14-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm with the NS Gov't too, Chief Information Office, Network Accounts Admin.

Hey Mike, saw the new ad for TIR, showed a guy welding at Miller lake, is that you?

Welder(main job description but do a bit of anything) for NSDOT, have been for 20 years now. Before that worked in a welding shop right outa trade school, stayed there for 18 years, last three of which as the shop foreman before I went to DOT....Mike

emeraldbison
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I was in the Navy from 08-11 as a logistics specialist (formerly storekeeper). I've been working at a marina on beautiful Lake George in upstate NY since I got out. Presently going to school to become a Marine Tech. Got introduced to welding at tech school.

Carnes Lake Farms
12-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm currently a full time welding student and part time gun smith. I also run a few cows and artificially inseminate cattle in the west Georgia and East Alabama area. Prior to that I was a Fire Apparatus Operator and Paramedic with a large Georgia metro fire department. I was also a professional rodeo cowboy but broke my pelvis in 5 places and had to retire from that and the fire department because of the pelvic fracture.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pipehack
12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Union Plumber Local 130U.A. 17 years

CEP
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Set in front of this computer way to many hours a day! :D

dumb as a stump
12-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Presently Unemployed - 2 years Truckdriver / deliveryman- 27 years as a fire alarm technician ( burned out and unscrupulious former employer (asked to do something illegal again)) - Registered Electrical apprentice for a while (hated it) - Sailor (Frieghters on the great lakes for a while when I was young) - Taxi driver (thats no life) - Lover (too long ago to remember / talk about or get credit for) Is that enough????

AlabamaJoe
12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Computer programmer (RPGLE, Java, Javascript, HTML, VB, some Cobol and C).

TimmyTIG
12-14-2012, 11:26 PM
I've been working as a certified pipe welder since 1978, it's the only thing I know how to do. Went to trade school in Morgan City, La. in 1977, got schooled up on pipe and followed my older brothers into the offshore welding world.
Then progressed into building offshore platforms on land and from there made it into process piping in oil refineries. Worked all over the western US from Louisiana all the way up to Alaska, spent 10 years doing pipe welding for the oilfields up there.
Studied up and took and passed the CWI exam in 2007 but I didn't use it enough and it expired, so I'm back to being a rod burner again. It ain't so bad, I always did like welding quite a bit, especially TIG welding stainless pipe, it has almost an artistic quality to it, what with the pretty colors and all.
I'm in Mississippi right now, trying to get hired on for KBR at the Chevron refinery in Pascagoula. They have busted out many a welder testing for that job, I passed the test without too much trouble, now I just need to get over the rest of the hire in hurdles.:dizzy:

fasteddy
12-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Landscape Architect and Land Planner, wood turner and wanna be welder.

Powerstroked
12-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Railroad Carman

Snuffy
12-15-2012, 03:04 AM
USAF 3D173 RF Transmissions Systems. Formerly 2E171 Satellite Wideband and Telemetry Systems.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/539427_4262642087304_164270195_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/581245_4428548714866_1577946255_n.jpg

BigDJB
12-15-2012, 03:08 AM
I am a ua fitter/welder apprentice.

LV Design
12-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I am a professional automotive and light truck mechanic.Very tired of it too.I also have a welding/fabrication side business with a nicley equipped shop which I hope to make a full time biz in the future.

Housedad
12-15-2012, 03:10 PM
My forum name says it all.

Hey, it's a job... Been doing it for 22 years!

12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Part time porn star. Full time push boat captain.

Videos I made at work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzBehJ7b1Ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38n2Z1Hnc7s

RaptorDuner
12-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Mechanic for a sawmill. I do 90% of the weld/fab for the rolling stock including logging shovels, LeTourneau log stackers & forklifts.

Bruce
12-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Part time porn star. Full time push boat captain.

Videos I made at work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzBehJ7b1Ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38n2Z1Hnc7s

Looked for your porn video's, must have missed 'em? Liked the time lapse video, I tried to do one leaving Long Beach, NJ of sunrise on Atlantic City.

the_novice
12-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Locksmith since I was 14. Now after almost 11 years I have to decide. Try to buy the business, work for a new boss, or change careers.

Inkydoggy
12-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Navy Submarine Service 4 years then a Millwright for 21 years and retired as a State Prison Officer here in Pennsylvania after 20 years service.

:cool2:

Guardrail
12-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Army 1982 to present.

welderinwv
12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
boilermaker/ combo tube and pipe welder.

brianjk
12-17-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm a wind turbine technician. Nothing like a 260 foot climb to get your blood flowing...:laugh:
I was a automotive and equipment tech prior to that, and a sound engineer/musician.

osweld
12-17-2012, 03:36 AM
I do on-site welding mostly on farm equipment

hughbie
12-17-2012, 10:30 AM
i'm a retired US Navy Submariner. 20 years (1981 - 2001) and now i work at a lead acid battery factory working in Quality Control.

Fred s
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
@ hughbie
Funny, I was just in Springfield on thursday

I am a welding engineer, more or less

Aleus
12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Farmhand / fixer of broken stuff. Welder for the last 6 years.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

plamauski
12-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Father of 2, ages 3 &4 first and foremost...but they get hungry...

I'm a tech in a semiconductor plant, I work on a variety of things from pnuematics, hydraulics, toxic chemicals, RF power, high voltage, electronics. I play with fun things like pyrophoric and corrosive gasses, some are so toxic if you detect the smell you are most likely dead. It can be interesting at times.

The funny thing is, most of the other techs I've met in the semiconductor biz can hardly change a lightbulb. I expected to work with a group of mechanicaly inclined people, but instead it seems more like this industry attracts the electronics guys. You know, the ones who blew the dust out of their nintendo cartridge back in the day and thought it meant they could fix anything.

I am the only one I know of who knows how to weld, all my coworkers think I am crazy for wanting to burn metal in my free time. I think I would be happier working on the facility side rather than the actual equipment, they do a lot more heavy work and fabrication, but have few job openings.

bp626indamix
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
What kind of gases would kill you just by smelling them? Im curious.

67lemans
12-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Welder in a shipyard

plamauski
12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
What kind of gases would kill you just by smelling them? Im curious.

Phosphene and Tungsten hexaflouride are a couple of my "favorites" Lots of different kinds of acids, hydrogen, ozone, etc

j440
12-18-2012, 01:52 PM
apprentice ironworker

mancavedweller
12-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Electrical apprenticeship with ICI, a large petrochemical company.

8 1/2 years as Rig Electrician on oilwell / gaswell drilling rigs, offshore & landbased. This also encompassed instrumentation, refrigeration & air conditioning. Even helped out troubleshooting hydraulic circuits (which have some similarities to electrical circuits).

Couple of years in portable power generation. Large containerised gensets (1 megawatt each) synchronised together. Couple of projects in Indonesia synchronised to the local grid to assist peak demand times.

Last 13 years been in tight access excavation. Huge mistake getting into the small stuff, it's nothing but a necessary evil when they can't get the bigger machinery in. Plus a lot of domestic stuff where money is tight, diyers hiring small machines from their local hire yard, and little repeat work because a bigger machine gets used whenever possible.

However, always loved mechanical stuff and have been pulling things apart since I was a young lad. Done lots of this with my little excavation business, engine overhauls, hydraulic motor and pump repairs, hydraulic ram repairs (love my lathe), pins and bushes, etc, etc. Last few years have been setting up my machine shop: lathe, mill, press, bandsaw, mig & arc welding, built a big cnc plasma cutting table. So much studying and learning too when I manage too. Very difficult with all this machinery in a very small space. Hope I can produce a bit of money from it once everything is organised and I can work efficiently without walking over things. The initial plan was to make all sorts of attachment ideas I've thought of while excavating, and have a unique excavation setup that nobody else would have. Problem is (apart from this recession now) that as the guy doing the excavation I understand the benefits of various attachments whereas so many customers don't and wouldn't be interested in paying extra for them, bit of a catch 22. I've often tried explaining how this or that attachment would benefit them and they'd actually save money despite the extra hire cost, but not much interest, I don't think they can picture it.

Due to this wonderful economy I'm pretty much at the point of job hunting. Who knows, maybe I'll actually end up doing something I enjoy and not have the constant worry of paying bills, or resentment to customers that treat you like crap and expect the world from you but don't want to pay for it.

jdh239
12-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Linux Operating Systems support--specifically connectivity issues (networking) and file system protocols

Bruce
12-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Phosphene and Tungsten hexaflouride are a couple of my "favorites" Lots of different kinds of acids, hydrogen, ozone, etc

They even sound deadly! :angel:

kazlx
12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Hazmat Specialist for the fire dept.

Hambone2004
12-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Senior scientist at a chemical company.

JD955SC
12-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Park Ranger and firefighter.

Hoping to make the leap into welding soon.

msc8127
12-18-2012, 11:34 PM
my day job is teaching physics, my night job is building dirt oval track modified chassis.

jw3
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
I am a self employed,2nd generation master plumber. Grew up poor with an old man who worked on everything. So I am chief equipment mechanic, job superientand, accountant, and a day laborer(lol). I weld on my stuff and for stress relief.

Dantheman
12-20-2012, 03:32 AM
I'm a welder in our mine maintenance department. I work on every heavy duty equipment there is and mill equipment " crusher, sag mills, ball mills and fab equipment from blueprint.

mwccwi
12-20-2012, 08:11 PM
www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-cramer/20/b36/940/

Mick120
12-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Nuff said!

Um.......knowing the area you're in, I figure blowing up stumps and rabbit burrows.....:drinkup: :laugh: :laugh:

FODFA
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Um.......knowing the area you're in, I figure blowing up stumps and rabbit burrows.....:drinkup: :laugh: :laugh:

No that was in a Quarry that I worked at for the last 9 years, cracking rocks and welding up broken down heaps of $hit, and building plant out of rusty old pieces of scrap for an ungrateful tight arse.

No longer there, YIPEE!!!!

Just at home welding up 4wd accessories for the time being, although I just put in an application for a job in a quarry in Antarctica, not sure how it will go but would be a helluva adventure if I went down that track.

Cheers Andrew

tom-in-newalla
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Currently working for the DOD as an installation electrician. Before that I worked for Cummins as a stand by generator field tech covering 80% of Oklahoma and diesel mechanic, worked for Caterpillar in their fab shop building SCR generators and custom oil field equipment packages, before that I spent a little over nine years on active duty in the Air Force. Since i got out of the AF I took a basic manual machining class and just last night I finished my first welding class. Took the classes just because I wanted to learn. Always been fascinated with welding.

Louie1961
03-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Used to be a paramedic, but got bored with that and became an accountant. Work in finance as controller now.

Subsix
03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Used to be a paramedic, but got bored with that and became an accountant.

Ledgers sure are adrenaline packed. I can really see how accounting isn't boring....

atari
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Weldor Honeywell Intl. Columbus, Ohio. I build Sensotec and Lebow branded sensors. Hey, itt's air conditioned!

pepi
03-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Computer guy, hardware & software engineer. :dizzy:

Show us you work space