PDA

View Full Version : how to hold your stinger

oxtail
05-28-2005, 04:36 PM
I am new to the trade, and want advice on how to hold my stinger, when welding in flat position, in the MIG process.

With MIG you PUSH as opposed to pull (ARC), correct?

If this is the case, (and you are right-handed) what are some of the techniques?

ie, left-hand on the bottom? Left-hand holding the right?

I am trying to find a comfortable stance, and still have control.
Any suggestions?

Sandy
05-28-2005, 05:23 PM
With MIG you PUSH as opposed to pull (ARC), correct?

Well without getting into the 'push/pull' debate I can say they both have their own characteristics, profiles, advantages and uses. After a while you will find both will suit a purpose. Many claim that drag is still the preferred method as it gives best penetration, and it does in a certain manner.

If this is the case, (and you are right-handed) what are some of the techniques?

If you are just trying to draw a bead on a flat piece, hold the gun as upright as possible in the one axis, ie. at a 90 to the longitudinal bead and at a slight angle to the direction of travel. Generally around 5 to 12 degrees towards the direction of travel in a pull and the same away from the direction of travel for a push.

ie, left-hand on the bottom? Left-hand holding the right?

I usually have the left under and supporting the right in most cases. I'm sure most are more steady than me which makes things easier. Do a little dry run to see if mobility is an issue and adjust how you are going to hold. Wear a heavy glove on the support hand and take caution as to the length of bead. Get too close for a long bead and you're gonna wrinkle a glove and be wanting out of it. You don't want to have a grip that is going to make you break off the bead prematurely.

I am trying to find a comfortable stance, and still have control.
Any suggestions?

Again I'll mention slow dry runs to test the grip and motion you're going to need to make. On straight flat runs you won't want a hard support hold that will create an arc-angle bead and when welding around objects you don't want to be having to roll or bend the wrist in any odd positions. Taking slight steps while running a bead rarely work out well so take a stance between the start and stop.

Sorry, not much definitive help here.

Robin Hood
05-28-2005, 07:56 PM
If this is a true Mig Procedure with 95/5 or hotter, you need to point the gas in the direction you are moving. It does not matter if you are left or right handed... :D IMHO

oxtail
05-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, any advice is good advice, I'll take a bit of everything and give it a try.

Another question, what is the better method, a slight back & forth stroke (going back into the weld)? Or straight ahead? Or again is it a matter of comfort?

We are running 2 passes through 5/16 " plate (waste disposal tankers) the guys tell me that each pass is about 10 min ( that gun is going to be HOT!). So I'm having nightmares about being comfortable. Is this a minor concern, something that just comes with experience, or is there a universal secret I should know about.

lotechman
05-29-2005, 11:51 AM
When you are running really hot you will find that resting the gun on your left hand gets uncomfortable. I often end up operating the trigger with my right forefinger and resting my right hand on my left fist. My left glove gets most of the heat. On some guns you can move the trigger to the top of the gun which I prefer when doing larger stuff. Moving forward and back creates a longer puddle which is helpful when welding rusty stuff allowing gasses etc to boil out before solidifying.

TxRedneck
06-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Oxtail, just for the record your terminology, although most of us all know what your talking about is incorrect. The stinger is slang term for the electrode holder in smaw. The whip is the term used for the gun and cable assembly on MIG. For the record, TIG uses a torch. Just a tad bit of FYI. Hope it helps Good luck
CHRIS