PDA

View Full Version : vertical TIG'ing basics?

pigpen
03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
New to TIG, just got a Miller 250, and a hobbyist welder anyway. So, I'm aware that you push TIG puddles along in the horizontal, but what do you do in the vertical? Do you work from the bottom up? Read stuff on here about "swinging" across the puddle and stopping quickly at the end. Is that the ticket with the electrode about 5 degrees up?

Just asking for the basic technique to go out and practice on some like materials before trying to weld up some shock mounts on my buddy's T roadster.

By the way, I have searched for TIG classes around San Antonio and have only heard of college curriculum type of classes at St. Philips. If anybody has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks,

Supe
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
ALWAYS vertical up with TIG. Not a whole lot different technique-wise than taking what you run flat and turning it on its side. You want to move a little bit quicker across the middle to prevent suckback, but not so fast that you don't break down the land and get lack of penetration/root fusion. That's on open root pipe though. Just run stringers and fillets on plate like you normally would.

carnut68
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Yep, push the puddle up. Move about 1/8" at a time and add the filler. Remember you are going to be adding a little more filler than with a butt joint, but keep practicing.

If you can weld a fillet horizontal correctly, you can do a vertical.

I did some last week and I walked the cup to keep my tungsten distance close, just take your time, make sure the puddle moves and dip the filler.

David R
03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I point the torch up a little and point the filler down. Adding filler to the front of the puddle just like doing it flat. Tig is pretty easy up and overhead. Watch the puddle (and heat).

David :)

pigpen
03-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks to all for the info. Hopefully I can come back later with some pics to show. Lou