PDA

View Full Version : Delixi 40 Amp Plasma Cutter

wmgeorge
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Delixi 40 Amp Plasma Cutter Yes I know its Chinese and I should buy a $1000 machine to use the 2 times a year I need a plasma cutter. This one is priced below $330 shipped. FYI I own and use 2 Millers and 1 Lincoln in my hobby metal shop. But this is one I can afford for the intended use, two times a year.

So has anyone had a Delixi?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delixi-40-Amp-Plasma-Cutter-Dual-Voltage-110V-220V-60Hz-LGK-40ID-/310728616533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4858de6a55

Gamble
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
I have it.

Here is what I like about it.

40amps
runs on 115v/220v
4t mode
small and lightweight

Here is what I don't like about it.
Cheap torch
No spare consumables come with it
No pilot arc
No 220v adapter cable
Encoder knob feels cheap
No post flow
Comes with cheap air fittings that leak
Ground cable is 3' at best
Ground wasn't crimped to cable and fell right off

Cutting:
It cuts pretty well. The consumable life of the tip/cup SUCKS. The electrode is double ended which is nice.
Was able to cut 1/4" on 115v without an issue. Works good on 220v, but haven't tested to see how thick it will cut.
For the price it's a great little machine. I'd buy it while it's cheap.
I had it on 40amps and beat the crap out of it to hit the duty cycle with no such luck. The cup got destroyed before anything else and it was a LOT of cutting. The heatsinks weren't even warm at that point.

If it was $600+ I'd say don't bother. But at $330 it's a good deal.
However you WILL want something with a pilot arc.
Also 4t is pretty cool, hit the button and cut and hit the button to turn it off. I do this a lot so I can control my own post flow.
Also get some better hose, because the barb fittings will leak

wmgeorge
10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I have it.

Here is what I like about it.

40amps
runs on 115v/220v
4t mode
small and lightweight

Here is what I don't like about it.
Cheap torch
No spare consumables come with it
No pilot arc
No 220v adapter cable
Encoder knob feels cheap
No post flow
Comes with cheap air fittings that leak
Ground cable is 3' at best
Ground wasn't crimped to cable and fell right off

Cutting:
It cuts pretty well. The consumable life of the tip/cup SUCKS. The electrode is double ended which is nice.
Was able to cut 1/4" on 115v without an issue. Works good on 220v, but haven't tested to see how thick it will cut.
For the price it's a great little machine. I'd buy it while it's cheap.
I had it on 40amps and beat the crap out of it to hit the duty cycle with no such luck. The cup got destroyed before anything else and it was a LOT of cutting. The heatsinks weren't even warm at that point.

If it was $600+ I'd say don't bother. But at $330 it's a good deal.
However you WILL want something with a pilot arc.
Also 4t is pretty cool, hit the button and cut and hit the button to turn it off. I do this a lot so I can control my own post flow.
Also get some better hose, because the barb fittings will leak

Where can you buy consumables? I have found with my other plasma cutters that keeping the air dry and clean made a big difference in how long the tips lasted. How long have you had it and any Warranty other than the 30 day return I was told? I had an Eastwood that worked fine but never used it enough to justify having a $600 machine laying around for maybe 2 times a year. Looking at this and the Lotos brand.

Gamble
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
No issues yet.
That's why I use 4t so I can have a post flow.
2 year warranty is what the ebay auction says i think.

wmgeorge
10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Contacted both the Ebay and Amazon sellers, both say only a 30 day exchange Warranty. This is a non pilot arc torch which means I believe that the tip need to be in contact with the metal. Seems like that would be hard on the tip and other cutting parts.
Both my other plasma cutters have been pilot arc machines.

Gamble
10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
eBay and amazon are the same seller. There is only 1 company that sells this brand plasma cutter in the states.
30 day exchange maybe after that it's repair?
And yes you have to touch the tip and lift off. It's like scratch start tig. That's why I said the cutting tip takes the most abuse.

jimcolt
10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a good deal. I would be a little concerned with who you deal with if there is a warranty issue, this is why I always suggest that the best place to purchase low cost plasma cutters is from an established company like Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or Eastwood...they will back up the product, EBAY and Amazon sellers usually disappear after their crate of plasma cutters is sold!

The touch start torches have a bit better nozzle life once you develop an edge starting technique, piercing is what kills them quickly. It is a non shielded torch so if you drag cut it will double arc to the material, also causing shorter consumable life. The consumables can be bought by the bagful, they don't last long but should be fairly inexpensive to buy.

I understand the need for cheap. I bought a lot of used (I still do actually) equipment as well as some low cost import items in my day! History proves to me that used major brand equipment is a far better value than low cost imports....especially if it is something you will use. If I was only going to use a plasma cutter twice a year though.....I probably would not buy one!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

eBay and amazon are the same seller. There is only 1 company that sells this brand plasma cutter in the states.
30 day exchange maybe after that it's repair?
And yes you have to touch the tip and lift off. It's like scratch start tig. That's why I said the cutting tip takes the most abuse.

Brand X
10-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I am getting really good consumable life out of the PT-31 torch and it's clone. Buying the better China consumables, and matching the right style helps tremendously.With clean /dry air, and good technique,it's much better then most people would believe. You need to take the time to sort them yourself, or you will be eating them like candy. The short tips and Nickle consumables will really help your consumable life. Never blow a cup out with these either. Run 65 pounds air pressure too. Swirl rings can be 4 hole or 6, but 4 works well enough for the short style. They are directional , and you can set it to swirl either way. I run the Long XT style in my factory Esab 30 amp machine, and I am very happy with how they are working. If you want to upgrade the way your torch feels in your hand, this are nice. With the real flexible china power lead it's superior in feel to any Hypertherm or Thermal arc torch. By a wide margin too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261198385490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251258089388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400577024415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

jimcolt
10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
BrandX,

On this statement I beg to differ, "With the real flexible china power lead it's superior in feel to any Hypertherm or Thermal arc torch. By a wide margin too.". I prefer the industrial feel of a good quality torch and leads. I won't even argue that point.....that is my opinion!

Jim Colt

wmgeorge
10-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks to all who have replied so far. My other two PC which I have owned and sold, one a Hypertherm 380 which was used almost every day on my CNC machine and the Eastwood have both been pilot arc torches. Not sure if I could get used to a touch or lift start one. IF I could find a used Hypertherm Jim, even at a few hundred over the Chinese made I'd buy in a heartbeat, same if I used my shop commercially. But I can't justify $1500 - 2000 for a hobby on a fixed income.

Brand X
10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
BrandX,

On this statement I beg to differ, "With the real flexible china power lead it's superior in feel to any Hypertherm or Thermal arc torch. By a wide margin too.". I prefer the industrial feel of a good quality torch and leads. I won't even argue that point.....that is my opinion!

Jim Colt

Since I have used the Thermal. and Hypertherm hand torches (small and large), my Home brew torch. (CK handle and cover) has a higher quality feel then those two units. You can get them in 25 ft too.Another huge advantage. More adaptable to layout then any of the new offerings. Pretty cool for a 30 year old design. Smaller overall too. Great advantage to me. Just because something is designed by world famous engineers, does not mean you can't adapt something on your own to blow them out of the water. (in certain areas of fit, and feel/etc...

jimcolt
10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
No argument from me. I prefer what I prefer, you prefer what you prefer!

Jim

wmgeorge
10-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Ended up buying a pilot arc machine from Longevity.

lugweld
10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Which one? From their website, some of them only have a 1 year warranty now and apparently sell extended coverage. Did you buy the service plan? I could be wrong, but just cursory reading, looks like some of its product line isn't as long as others...according to this page: http://www.longevity-inc.com/terms/

lugweld
10-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Since I have used the Thermal. and Hypertherm hand torches (small and large), my Home brew torch. (CK handle and cover) has a higher quality feel then those two units. You can get them in 25 ft too.Another huge advantage. More adaptable to layout then any of the new offerings. Pretty cool for a 30 year old design. Smaller overall too. Great advantage to me. Just because something is designed by world famous engineers, does not mean you can't adapt something on your own to blow them out of the water. (in certain areas of fit, and feel/etc...
BrandX, I agree.
To me, flexibility has nothing to do with industrial feel or not. It actually relates to creature comfort or ergonomics over long term use. Lack of flexibility in a torch can make precise hand cutting of intricate parts more difficult. A lighter feel gives the torch more mobility and precision in my book. But I've also noticed, if you are aren't steady handed, that a stiffer torch quietens the jerks, twitches and bobbles of less experienced hands, sort of like a shock absorber...but to each his own. I do like a lighter feel... not only in less resistance, but less weight when there's a lot of cutting to do.

wmgeorge
10-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Which one? From their website, some of them only have a 1 year warranty now and apparently sell extended coverage. Did you buy the service plan? I could be wrong, but just cursory reading, looks like some of its product line isn't as long as others...according to this page: http://www.longevity-inc.com/terms/

According to the new Owners Manual I just downloaded yesterday for the 40D they have a 5 Year Warranty. Harbor Freight is about the same price and they only have 90 days. There is nothing printed in the manual about exceptions for Amazon sales, nor is it listed on the Amazon website. In Iowa and most other states printed Warranties supersede verbal or implied warranties.

lugweld
10-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I am not sure that applies since it was an ebased purchase from California. The link I provided comes directly from their website, which would be the most official statement but still, I hope you have good luck with it. But at the very least, I'd call them about it...just to clarify. I think that is a mosfet unit isn't it? Looked like the delexi was igbt? If it was, that was a good price they had on one, at mosfet price levels...no pilot arc though.:rolleyes: You give, and you take, looks like.

wmgeorge
10-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Website warranties can be changed in 30 seconds of HTML programing, whats printed is what counts in legal challenge. Even if its only one year that is 3 times as long as a Harbor Freight one!

Gamble
10-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I had the 40d. Loved that thing! But recently upgraded.

GeckoTyson
10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
You can see Lanse trying to destroy a Longevity plasma here! Looks like they make solid machines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qosn3Cr72Q

GeckoTyson
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Ended up buying a pilot arc machine from Longevity.

I got their migweld140 model from Amazon and love it. If i need something i call them and they are there. You made a good choice!