PDA

View Full Version : Contour Marker question

TXweldor
06-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Hello,

The other day I found a Contour Marker in the shop that I worl at. I have never seen one before. I looked it up on the web and saw that it is used for pipe layout, but could not find any info on how to use it.

So, can anyone tell me how I use it?

It looks like this: http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/products-view.mcic?s=1362

Thanks

gizzardgutz
06-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I've used them several years ago, they come with a manual on how they're used. I googled it and couldn't find how to use them. http://www.lencocanada.com/pdf.d/800-05.pdf
Basically, set the protractor to the angle your cutting the pipe and mark it with the arm with soapstone in it.

Oldtimer
06-28-2009, 03:36 PM
What Gizzardgutz said. I remember the manual says to draw the arm from the bottom of the pipe to the top when making your mark. It works. I've tried using them both ways and marking down always tries to drift off for me. Unlike a radius marker you want the pivot points in the arms to work freely. I've used several of these over the years and the degree marks are always a little off. No big deal after you figure out how much. The one I have now is off a fat one degree for a 45. No big deal on 3" pipe but if you don't compensate on something like 18" it's enough that you have clean up the difference.

johnsonmopar
06-28-2009, 08:34 PM
I have about 10 pages in my tool box at work on working with them. I will try different things out of the pages all of the time to see how it works. I will have to remember to grab them monday and scan and post. Matthew

Hammack_Welding
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I have two of them, and the ones I have do ok, at best. I have been using them for several years, BUT I have yet to actually get the line to match up at the bottom. There is almost always a 3/8" off set to it.

gizzardgutz
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I have two of them, and the ones I have do ok, at best. I have been using them for several years, BUT I have yet to actually get the line to match up at the bottom. There is almost always a 3/8" off set to it.

Wow! I'd say your arm is bent. I never had that problem. Like Oldiron said, I have had a problem with different ones being a little off on the protractor, but to be 3/8" off where the bottom lines meet either the frame is moving or the arm is bent.

rusty ripple
06-28-2009, 09:46 PM
heres a link to a similar one made by flange wizard http://www.flangewizard.com/master_marker.html
in my opinion flange wizard tools are a lot more pleasant to use than contour markers, but they are harder to find

fredf
06-28-2009, 09:59 PM
opps already posted

Hammack_Welding
06-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow! I'd say your arm is bent. I never had that problem. Like Oldiron said, I have had a problem with different ones being a little off on the protractor, but to be 3/8" off where the bottom lines meet either the frame is moving or the arm is bent.

Gizzard, I don;t know what it is, but both of the ones I have never meet at the bottom. They never have. You can even put them on the pipe, and pull the marker down to the lowest point on the pipe turn it loose, and place a mark on the pipe where it is, and then fold it to the other side of the pipe and it will be off. It has to be something in the hinges of the arms that is moving it side to side while turning. That is the only explanation I can come up with. I have a friend who has one, and his seems to do better the time or two that I used his.

gizzardgutz
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
heres a link to a similar one made by flange wizard http://www.flangewizard.com/master_marker.html
in my opinion flange wizard tools are a lot more pleasant to use than contour markers, but they are harder to find

They have some good looking tools. I like that they use a magnetic base. I've never seen these before, I like the torch standoff and the angle cutting guide too.

TXweldor
06-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses folks. I will have to try it out. I dont work with pipe much, maily 24 to 36 inch propane tanks.

Thanks again, Bo