PDA

View Full Version : add wheels to welding table

artwelder
07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Guys:

I'm new here and I'm just setting up a section in my studio so I can use my mig welder. The floor is going to be tile as the building sets up on pilings. Wish it could be concrete but that's not possible.

My question is about the welding table I want to buy - it has 1/2" steel plate on top and 3ft x 4ft in size. The legs are angle iron. An architect friend of mine said it will be too heavy and will crack the tile floor. So I was thinking I could put wheels on it and maybe spread the contact point of the load on the 4 legs or perhaps weld a plate that extends the full length of the table under the legs so the weight is distributed, i.e. weight resting on plate and not the sigle contact point of the leg.

Not sure how to design it. Thought I should go with a larger wheel - maybe 8" or 10" solid rubber as opposed to smaller casters that will be harder to move on the tile.

Any suggestions? I have a picture of the table but can't figure out how to upload it on this site.
Artwelder

SundownIII
07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Set each end of the table (two legs) on a short length of 1"x6" (about 8" longer than the distance between the 2 legs) and be done with it. The wood will distribute the load and prevent cracking the tile.

Your top will weigh about 248# and, I suspect, the frame will weigh less than 100#. Keep this in mind when doing your figuring. Also interesting to note that a fully loaded refrig/freezer probably weighs over 500# and is sitting on four small pads.

If you're talking about beating/hammering on the table, then we're talking a different story.

artwelder
07-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Sundown:

Thanks for your reply. I had thought of wood but also was concerned about the sparks from the mig. Sheetrock walls but still a woodframe building.
As far as hammering, etc - well - yes from time to time.
Wasn't sure what the table weighed but just found a chart of steel weight online and it is as you say. Good point about the refrigerator.

artwelder

specter
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Ya Artwelder. You may want to look around for an old filing cabinet that someone is throwing out or willing to part with. The sheet metal is lighter, not flammable, and using your torch can be cut and fabricated to your welding table. Even 5/8" fire rated Sheetrock will become brittle if hot and the drywall is heavy and much easier to break than the sheet metal.

Looking for that file cabinet or even an old school locker will work. Schools often toss out lockers or cabinets as do many health clubs and businesses.

weldbead
07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
you sure the structure you says is up on pilings doesnt have enough flex in it to crack the tile floor even without the heavy table?got any other tile floors in that bldg?

artwelder
07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi - contractor knows tile is going on the floor and is putting the special backing (cement board?) on top of the plywood. This is an addition I'm adding to the existing building which has a plywood floor - 2 layers. So I think I'm covered as far as using tile but yes - have been concerned about weight of table.

I haven't purchased table yet - saw it on craig's list for a REALLY good price - couldn't build one that cheaply.

Used filing cabinets could be interesting idea.

On another note, does anyone know of a system to exhaust welding fumes that isn't so expensive? The systems I've seen are a bit too pricey for me. I do have cross ventilation but still fumes can be an issue.

Thanks -
artwelder