PDA

View Full Version : Tow behind backhoe plans?

welderShane
09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Did anyone ever build or own one of those tow behind backhoes. Im looking at maybe building one and would like to find some plans for one. I found 1 site that sells plans but its 70.00:eek: for them. If anyone can help or know where to find plans that would be great. Thanks

welderShane
09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Heres what im talking about if your not sure what i mean.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65162

smawgmaw
09-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Did not build one but ordered plans from CadPlans.com. Their plans are more than $70 though. Went so far as getting the steel required, welding up a few joints, and then winding up using the steel for a portable frame/trailer to haul my Ranger 8 around the place with riding lawnmower. Last place I worked before present job, manager had built one from their plans. He no longer owned it but said it worked great. Saw pictures of the unit he built, looked really nice. I think I still have my plans around here somewhere.

PilotDan
09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I've never built one, but that would be a really cool project! Please keep me posted on what you find, I'd love to see the progress in making one! Thanks,
Dan

denrep
09-20-2009, 10:46 AM
From a practical standpoint I don't think it would make sense to shop-build a backhoe attachment today. There are so many modern backhoes of every size being dismantled, most of which would give up a factory-built hoe attachment.

The last few hoe attachments I watched sell, only brought about $500, complete with bucket, controls, outriggers.

Good Luck

smawgmaw
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Exactly, denrep. Thats what kinda shyed me away from building mine. When I got to figuring in materials cost, time involved, and everthing else, it would have been more economical to just purchase a used commercially available unit. The building experience and satisfaction of having created the unit though would have been very enjoyable!

smawgmaw
09-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Besides Harbor Freight offering one of these ready to go, I think Northern Tool offers one also.

Knotbored
09-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I would sure like to have an even smaller version of that- just the arm and bucket to attach to my Kabota bucket to get after blackberries. I don't need trenches-just the scraping ability to get the roots and brambles. I have all the time in the world to reposition the tractor, and I don't think stabilizing arms are necessary if it remains centered on bucket.

smawgmaw
09-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds like its invention time ! :laugh: If you have a front loader bucket for your tractor, you might be able to design an add on ripper of some sort to accomplish what you are looking to do.

timrb
09-20-2009, 02:34 PM
"Sounds like its invention time !"

Maybe you could salvage the engine, hydraulics, and frame of an old log splitter...

Tim

RancherBill
09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
The forum you want to go to is

http://www.machinebuilders.net/forum/default.asp

There are a lot of examples of this type of equipment.