PDA

View Full Version : Metal texturing rollers

Bryce masuk
09-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey guys I managed to pick up a set of german embossing rollers from a older german blacksmith, The problem is that I didnt get the machine with them the good thing is I paid very very little for them

I recently contacted the company that made them and they basicly said the rollers are worth 4000 euros new and the machine to install them is worth another 4000 euro's plus I would need to buy a separate motor drive for ANOTHER 4000 euro's

These options are not viable I have no euro's nor dollars to my name right now lol

I am planning to build this machine eventually I am not really sure where to begin

http://www.wrought-iron-systems.com/embossing.htm

I know I need a 5 hp motor and it needs to spin something like 7-23 rpm
I will probley require to enlist a machinest for this project

ponch37300
09-20-2009, 01:59 PM
The machine in the first picture you linked to looks fairly simple to build yourself. Just looks like a frame with some rollers for the metal to go across. You would need to fab something for your die rollers to sit in. The bottom one would be stationary and the top one would have to be adjustable for thickness of metal. It looks like you already have the bearings on your die rollers? If so you would just need to fab up a peice that those bearings fit into and then use some threaded rod to make the top die able to go up and down. So 4000 euros is almost 5900 bucks, I would think you can put something together for under 500 dollars. Then for a motor you would have to find a used one(if your looking to do this cheap) and then a gear reduction box to slow the thing down to your speed. It would take a little work but you should be able to do this for a lot less than the 12,000 dollars they told you it would cost. Good luck.

Sandy
09-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Looks like those roller are possibly designed for running different patterns on a variety of stock pieces rather than one multi-pattern on one piece ?? Is that the way it works? My guess is that if you ran only one piece of flat stock through and actually put all those patterns on one length it's going to come out of the tail end all twisted up like a cork screw. :) I see they mention straightening dies in their literature.

Bryce masuk
09-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I am figuring i will need to get

1. saddles for the bearings machined
2. shafts/collers for adjustabilty
3.guides

the rest I should be able to create the bearings are almost what i would call bushings the one roller has a large hexagon on it for the drive

the machine will produce up to 100 tons of pressure internally it needs to have the most critical parts machined I would imagine

I will have to figure out the gear ratio with either a chain and a countershaft or a maybe a 60:1 gear box

Bryce masuk
09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Looks like those roller are possibly designed for running different patterns on a variety of stock pieces rather than one multi-pattern on one piece ?? Is that the way it works? My guess is that if you ran only one piece of flat stock through and actually put all those patterns on one length it's going to come out of the tail end all twisted up like a cork screw. :) I see they mention straightening dies in their literature.

sandy you are correct each pattern is for a certain size up to 1 1/2 inch the smaller ones do 1/2 inch some of them do one side for a cap rail and the others for pickets and such,

they charge pretty high prices for textured metal I may even be able to produce and sell some to others in the industry for reduced prices

the set that i have has some interesting patterns i have never seen before perhaps it will be a signature of sorts

ponch37300
09-20-2009, 02:18 PM
That's nice that the drive gear is already on the shaft for you. Sounds like a really fun project that shouldn't be to hard after you get the parts rounded up. That is always the hard part, trying to figure out which parts to use to make it and get the right ones. I have a couple of bins of odds and ends I've order for projects that ended up not working out like I thought! I've found that www.mcmaster.com has almost any part you can imaging for putting projects together.

Sandy
09-20-2009, 02:26 PM
sandy you are correct each pattern is for a certain size up to 1 1/2 inch the smaller ones do 1/2 inch some of them do one side for a cap rail and the others for pickets and such,

they charge pretty high prices for textured metal I may even be able to produce and sell some to others in the industry for reduced prices

the set that i have has some interesting patterns i have never seen before perhaps it will be a signature of sorts

Oh I can see a potential market there. One of our local steel suppliers has a wall display deicated to ornamental iron works that can be ordered. Three different levels to consider competing at, wholesale through a steel supplier, direct to a contractor or direct to a DIY builder. If the pricing was right you could capture at least two of those no harm no foul.

Bryce masuk
09-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Exactly, Sandy plus with these I was told I can do tubing as well (it may not work for some of the designs) and you could roll aluminum and brass though the same set of rollers and probley get a better impression than with steel

I picked these rollers up for 150 bucks so when its all done they will pay for themselves within a month of use when i can form a company,

they told me all the prices are plus 8-10 percent surcharge
this is there 2005 price list if i had a crew of people working for me no doubt in my mind this equpiment would pay for itself pretty quickly plus its german so you know it will last for a long time
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=123b42486c4a5a4a&mt=application%2Fpdf&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3D 2%26ik%3De90f847e0a%26view%3Datt%26th%3D123b42486c 4a5a4a%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dattd%26zw&sig=AHBy-hZQDMJkCbcUAkJVQe5yiLlUSX-TyA

Broccoli1
09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
dollars to doughnuts it will cost you a pretty penny to get set up:cool:

and to compete with King

by the time you figger in the Cost of the steel before you Emboss it.

Bryce masuk
09-22-2009, 08:17 PM
This Is why I am waiting for all the pieces to find me lol

For steel I have a really good source and can buy it for less than most medium sized companys can

minner
09-24-2009, 08:38 AM
If you sold them for 6K you could buy a who lot of metal.....or equipment.......;)

acourtjester
11-22-2009, 01:00 PM
HI
I may be all wet with this Idea but you will need something to roll that oposes those dies.
Have you though about rubber or urethane roller. That way you do not need an exact negative of the design for it to work. I know guys have used rubber for embossing sheet metal using a press. :dizzy:

have fun
tom