PDA

View Full Version : I step forward, hand extended

Ayers Garage
10-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I suppose some introduction is in order.

My name is Kevin. I'm a full time fireman. On my days off, I work in my little shop, mostly doing powdercoating. I've got a pretty decent coating setup in my shop with three ovens and all that goes with that. I do it mainly for the old trucks I restore.

I've been welding for about 20 years now. I first started back in high school metal fab class. My school was poor, so all we had were cracker boxes and junk metal. I have real bad knees, 2 surgeries so far and another one needed right now. I'm afraid they are going to wind up cutting my career short. I've got 12 more years until I can retire. I've been slowly edging my efforts toward welding and fabricating. Due to my schedule at work, there's no chance in taking any formal schooling to further the welding. So, I practice a lot and read all the theory I can find to read. I've accrued about 9 months of time off so if the knees force my career change, at least I will have 9 months full pay to get something going.

I just got a 78 Chevy 1 ton dually cab/chassis flatbed truck to work out of. I'm rigging it out right now with my Miller Bobcat and torch rig on it. It will be good for rural odd jobs in my small town, fencing, gates, etc. My next project is to build a gin pole for the bed to help out with heavy lifting jobs.

In the shop, my main machine is a Millermatic 250. I also have a smaller Lincoln 110 MIG welder for thin work. I do a lot of work restoring old Chevy trucks (mainly 67-72) so it's very handy for patch panels and the like.

I have a little website that you can look at to see what kind of stuff I do. Not realy any welding projects on it right now, mainly powdercoating and truck restoration stuff.

http://kneeknockertruck.blogspot.com/

And, I love redhead women.

Regards,
Kevin

tnjind
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Welcome.
What powder gun/ power supply are you using?

What kind of knee problems? I have had both ACL's replaced and i tore again. I feel for ya.

Got any pics of your shop.

This is a great place for info.

Ayers Garage
10-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I use an Eastwood Pro gun. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It doesn't do multiple coats at room temp very well. I actually noticed that Eastwood discontinued the gun recently. Once I get the want to bad enough, I will likely get a King Coat gun.

I've had both ACLs replaced using the PT graft method. Now my left one is torn again which causes unstability and periodic locking up. It's not a deal breaker, but the public doesn't like to see a 36 year old fireman gimping around like an 80 year old man every time the weather turns cold or after I have to climb a ladder.

The shop isn't real great. I'm marrying in to it really. It's her old barn. Half of it is nicely insulated like an apartment and half of it is open shop.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/Adventure-rider/78%20Chevy%20Dually/1978ChevyDually003.jpg

The saving graces are front and rear roll up doors for a good breeze and a strong dedicated 220V electrical service with good plug layout.

smawgmaw
10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
:waving: Welcome to the forum! Checked out your work on your site. Great work! I wish I was half as talented at paint work as that. Any how great to have you aboard!

Ayers Garage
10-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Not too much painting on my site. It's pretty much all powdercoating. I can't paint very well.

smawgmaw
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
:blush: Sorry, that's what I meant, powdercoating not painting, my bad. Anyway, your work is great!

48willys
10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Kevin nice to see you over here now too, I'm sure you'll contribute as much as ya learn here, same as on he 67-72 forum. Good luck with all ya do, sorry to hear about your knees, I know how bad that can be with ladder work, not to mention all the other demands firefighting puts on you. Just as plug for your powder coating, I've seen some of your pics on the truck forum, you do a great job!

specter
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi Ya Ayers Garage and Welcome to the Welding Web Family. Alwlays nice to see a fireman join the ranks.