PDA

View Full Version : Small Metal Art: Lacking Imagination

markannab
10-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone

I'm a backyard welder - nothing more. But I want to have a go at small-sized metal art. This is the type that sits on a desk, not in the garden. Frequently, the art involves a character with nuts for hands, washers for glasses, etc.

However, I'm lost in a couple of areas. It seems that, regardless of the artist, they all seem to make use of certain items that I don't know the source of. For example, the rod used for the body and arms is only about 4mm - 5mm thick. Where is that bought? Also, a metal object shaped much like the aluminium casing tealight candles come in (but much heavier) is often used for drumkits and other objects. I see motorcycles (some on this forum) where the wheels are made of a ring shape that, I'm guessing, is some kind of bearing.

I'm at a loss as to where to source these things - or even what they are so that I can go looking for myself in the appropriate places. Is anyone aware of a website that is dedicated in a big way to dealing with this hobby? Your help would be much appreciated.

Mark.

Angusdog
10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I would have thought they scavenge most of it, so recycling centres would be a good start and bear in mind they probably use just one or two metal components of say an old food processor or whatever. Also model & craft shops usually have smaller lengths of brass and aluminium tube or bar stock which would suit your needs.

Felonyass Monk
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Old uncoated coat hangers are a good size for small arms, just make sure they,re not loaded:D:D:D:dizzy:
Felon:drinkup:
ps and you can weld with them in a pinch,also old welding rods ,just knock off the flux,or is it flux off the knox?

The Flash
10-15-2009, 07:49 PM
If you want clean metal & I'm sure you do, try a hardware store. I know most here in the states carry washers, nuts, bolts & usually have small round stock in many sizes!

markannab
10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips.