PDA

View Full Version : Vertical welds using 7018 1/8 rod

spiritwalker6153
10-24-2009, 06:44 AM
I am trying to weld a t-joint vertically with 7018, 1/8 rod. My welds look like slug crap. What can I do to make good welds?

Boostinjdm
10-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Practice! 5-15 degrees pointed up, pause and fill at the sides, move quickly across the center. Keep a short arc.

weldbead
10-24-2009, 08:12 AM
to say" look like slug crap " is not sufficient info to enable someone to determine the problem and offer suggestions. for example, if my slugs are eating mainly green leafy stuff their crap is thin and runny with some thicker pieces floating.. but if i switch them over to eating more grainy type stuff the crap gets nice and thick and fluffy, sometimes i change the angle they are at when they crap and the crap improves...sometimes they crap too much in one spot ...i had some slugs once that would crap okay on weekends but weekdays they couldnt crap worth a schittt...nnever ever use chislugs...
but seriously.. post some fotos...how thick is the metal..what welder..settings..

Drake Aldan
10-24-2009, 10:02 AM
That's a.... strange metaphor, weldbead :dizzy:

You'll have to give more details, or take some photos. What's your machine, what's your settings? What's "slug crap" mean? Is it dripping out on you? Is there undercut? How's your travel speed? Are you weaving?

etc.... Welding is an individual growth process. General good advice only goes so far.

tresi
10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
to say" look like slug crap " is not sufficient info to enable someone to determine the problem and offer suggestions. for example, if my slugs are eating mainly green leafy stuff their crap is thin and runny with some thicker pieces floating.. but if i switch them over to eating more grainy type stuff the crap gets nice and thick and fluffy, sometimes i change the angle they are at when they crap and the crap improves...sometimes they crap too much in one spot ...i had some slugs once that would crap okay on weekends but weekdays they couldnt crap worth a schittt...nnever ever use chislugs...
but seriously.. post some fotos...how thick is the metal..what welder..settings..

This guy knows his crap!!!

tresi
10-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Use a few less amps. Keep the rod nearly level, the upward angle should be very slight maybe 5 to 10 degrees.As stated before short arc, slight pause at the toes and quick across the middle.

Fat Bastard
10-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Change what you are doing now because that is not working for you. :)

Country
10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
What Boostinjdm said.

Other than that, the main thing is to get a sound weld no matter what it looks like. If it's a good weld but looks like crap, up the amps and make a pass downward to clean off the slugs. But, if you're planning on making a living at this, learn how to make a good pass going up the first time. Weave, weave, weave. You're stitching stuff together.

59halfstep
10-24-2009, 10:02 PM
This guy knows his crap!!!

Very good Tresi.......

duaneb55
10-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Where'd ya go spiritwalker??:confused:

How about some more details on your vertical up attempts? Welder settings and photos as pointed out earlier?

Is this what your slug crap looks like? These were some first time practice vertical up welds I did some time ago and is what NOT to do for 7018 vertical up. Bottom was @ 165A, DCEN (7018 should be DCEP!) and DIG (Arc Force) set @ 10. Top was @ 130A, DCEN, DIG @ 10. Both were too hot and I failed to set polarity for EP as it should be and didn't realize it until after I finished.:blush2:

This one was @ 110A with DIG @ 7. Still looks like "slug crap" due to the DCEN polarity setting and my inexperience.

Sorry I don't have a good vertical up to show you without going out and burning a couple rods but there are plenty to be seen if you do a search of threads/posts and at least you can see what happens when you do what you're not supposed to.:D

Don't be afraid to post up a couple shots of yours and the details so the guys here that know what they're doing can help you out a little.

For the record, this is what 7018 vertical down looks like. 7018 is not meant for vertical down and although it may look OK. . .

. . .there's no penetration because you have to run so fast to keep ahead of the slag. 7018 Vertical down is a :nono:.