PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding an old propane tank for a bbq pit

mr2turbo7
12-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Ok I am really wanting to build myself a goo bbq pit but My problem is that I cant find any old propane tanks. I am looking for like 100-200 gallon tank. I would like the pit to be atleast 24" in diameter but would prefer 36" diameter.

I would like to know where to find an old propane tank or oil tank or a large peice of 36" pipe or something. any ideas?

smokin_dodge
12-04-2009, 01:06 AM
start calling around local scrap yards, junk yards, and propane dealers. the first two tanks i got came from the propane shop, had used tanks sitting out front for people to buy, and he sold them to me $100 each.

the 3rd tank i got came from my buddies back yard, built in 1950 and held up great.

the pit im helping a buddy build for a project came from a local junk yard. guy is only open on the weekends and supposedly a mad drunk. just drinks and sells scrap. guy picked up a smaller tank, i think 85 gallons for about $50 and a 20 or 30 gallon for $20.

if all else fails dig around on craigslist.

if you live near east texas i can probably find you one. for a small fee.

soarkrebel
12-04-2009, 09:39 AM
The one in the background I dug up. It had been buried for probably 60 years. It was in the yard of my grandmothers old rent house.
I know where two more are buried and I am considering calling the owners of the property to dig them up.
The black one was at our family farm and had been sitting for at least 30 years and before that I don't know.
Oh and the smaller pipe isn't going to be the firebox for that big one it's for the smaller one.
I have another tank that is 9' long that is crushed on one end for the big one.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/soarkrebel/100_2165.jpg

I think you might try contacting local propane dealers to see if they have old tanks or like Smokin Dodge said scrap yards.
Or just ask around......I have another to get that a friend has.....about a 150 gallon propane tank......it is still full so it will be tricky!!

salem747
12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
I called the local propane dealers and they thought I was speaking Latvian or something. But there is a big scrap dealer in town that had lots of great stuff, oil tanks, propane tanks, big pipe.

soarkrebel
12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I called the local propane dealers and they thought I was speaking Latvian or something. But there is a big scrap dealer in town that had lots of great stuff, oil tanks, propane tanks, big pipe.

They probably are cautious with them because of a liability issue. Care prior to cutting is essential. You don't respect the tank prior to cutting and it could be fatal!!!

mr2turbo7
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I apretiate it. I thought about calling scrap yards but just didnt get around to it. I called a couple of propane dealers and they said no. There are not alot of houses around here that use propane tanks mostly everyoneis on city gas.

Bob Warner
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Call the propane company that supplies the gas to the homes. The ones where the truck comes out and fills residential tanks. Go to their place and ask about old tanks. Most will have several out back waiting until they get enough to call whomever they call to get rid of them.

I bought a 330 gallon tank for $50. They removed the gauges and used their crane on a truck to load it on my trailer. Some places are kinda pricey, one around here wants a dollar a gallon for used tanks, that can get expensive fast with a large tank.

Not sure of you design but I cut the round ends off of mine and turned them up on the opposite side of the trailer and used them for hamburger grills.

Had to sell it and a church bought it and finished it, came out great.

salem747
12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I did call the delivery guys, they said that they scrap them. And basically blew me off. I bought a 135 gal oil tank, 2 steel drums and an old 20 Gal water pressure tank from the scrap yard for $40.