PDA

View Full Version : as threatened...

merc68
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
....in the intro section, here is my question:

I got a welder for Christmas. It is a no gas required, flux core wire welder. Kind of like MIG welding without argon.
I have only tried to run a bead 3 or 4 times in my whole life so I do not know how to weld.
I began practicing with my new welder but can not figure out how do I know which way to adjust the machine?
I thought I was too hot because I was burning thru. so I changed the amperage to low.
Then it seemed like the wire was feeeding too fast for this amperage because the tip would not stay constant. (It got longer on each pass). So I slowed it down. The result was lots of slag.
Am I not moving the torch across the seem fast enough? Too fast? Not hot enough again?
Any suggestions for a beginner?
thanks
merc

WHughes
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
What machine are you using, settings, and material you are trying to weld? Is this a mig machine because at the end of your post you say "torch". Maybe you can also post some pictures.
Bill

DSW
01-13-2010, 11:00 AM
New and you're already threatening us huh?:laugh::nono:

As said The more info you can give us, the easier it is for us to help you with your problems.

Flux core wire is a deep penetrating process. If you look in the manual for most machines, the thickest material will be listed with FC wire on most small machines. That makes welding things like sheetmetal, and autobody panels quite difficult with FC wire.

A few generic hints. With FC wire you "drag" the gun, that is you point the gun back at the weld you have already done, and away from the direction of travel. You need to adjust the "heat" and wire feed together. It should sound like frying bacon when it's about right. Too fast and the wire will stub into the plate before it melts, too slow and it burns back to the tip and the machine jams. You usually want like 1/4"-3/8" of wire length to the puddle. On my Miller there is a chart under the cover that shows starting suggestions for differing metal thicknesses, heat and wire feed settings for different wire sizes.

Also as said picts help. Be sure and take picts with the flux cleaned off so we can actually see the weld. Keep it up, you'll get there.

merc68
01-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info on 'dragging' the gun. I will practice that.
It is not a MIG welder because it does not use gas. And I used the terminology 'torch' where I should have said 'gun'. Sorry. The machine is just one of those types you can get at Home Depot. I am not sure where it was bought though, because it was a gift. It is a VAPER machine. Rated for 2 outputs, 1 at 64 amps and the other setting is 90 amps.
It has adjustable wire feed. and uses .030 wire only.
I will try to take some pics later of the machine. You don't want to see pics of my welds. (you won't be able to respond because you spit in your computer and laughing too hard.)

deucedj22
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
To weld self-shielded flux cored wire, make sure that your polarity is set to electrode negative. this usually means that you need to switch around the wires near the drive rolls. Most of the times the machine is set to electrode positive. The negative goes to your lead(gun), and the positive to you ground clamp. A lot of people think something is up with their machine when running self-shielded, but their just running the wrong polarity. give it a shot.

DSW
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
deucedj22 since the machine does not use gas, he may already be on the correct polarity for FC wire. I'm guessing since it's a bare bones 2 setting machine, that the machine is designed to use FC and is set correct. You are right however that on "mig" machines that are factory setup to use gas, that you would need to swap the polarity.

merc68 don't worry how bad they look, post up the picts. It's almost imposible usually to make suggestions if we can't see the weld bead. Are you too hot, too cold, wire too fast or slow, are you movuing too fast/slow? All of this can be easily determined with your settings AND the picts. "I'm gettting cr@ppy welds" doesn't help much. :D

Burbman
01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
$129 on eBay:

http://i18.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d8/33/8c64_2.JPG

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/150812i_ts.JPG?cell=130,130&cvt=jpeg

Following are some specs from manufacture:Easy-to-use gasless flux-core wire welder for the beginner Perfect for light duty repairs, maintenance and fabrication on light gauge steel around home, workshop and garage

Welds up to 1/8" thick mild steel - not suitable for aluminum

Operates on 120V single-phase power

Amperage range: 60 - 90 amps

Uses 0.030" to 0.035" diameter flux-core wire

Thermal overload protector automatically shuts off welder when duty cycle is exceeded

Fan cooled for better performance

One year limited warranty

Includes: Welding shield, welding hammer/brush, sample spool of flux-core wire, cold contractor MIG torch for added safety, earth clamp and welding cable.

merc68
01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
that is the same machine I have.
I like it. I just need to practice alot.