PDA

View Full Version : oxy/acetylene kits...which one do I buy?

CEB
02-03-2004, 11:22 PM
I have taken an introduction to SMAW class at local community college and am currently enrolled in the oxy/acetylene class...I know, I took them in the wrong order. I really like the oaw class and want to buy an oaw kit. Which vendor do I go with...victor, harris, smith, etc... The type of stuff I plan on doing is small projects like a charcoal grill, motorcycle parts (license plate holders, brackets, etc...) and maybe some iron works (arts and crafts). What size of kit do I buy? Any info will be appreciated!

fla jim
02-04-2004, 08:21 AM
I would recommend a medium size Victor.
Here's an example from BR welding look at the super torchII
http://www.brwelder.com/indextemplate.cfm?file=shop/results.cfm&SubCategory=37
I just enclosed the above as an example. I have a Harris outfit, But if I was buying a new set I'd recommend Victor.
Go to your local dealer and see if you can work a deal with tanks, You'll need tanks anyway. As a hobby user, you'll probably be better off "buying" your tanks. Figure about threehundred and change for that.
I hope this helped you

malibu101
02-04-2004, 09:56 AM
I have and use a Victor Super-Range II torch outfit. It is the smaller of the Victor setups but it works perfectly fine for me. I think the price, quality, and features of this outfit will do most anything a a hobbyist or light commercial user would need to do.

malibu101
02-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I forgot to mention above.
The regulator gauge (oxygen) that came in the kit started it's scale at a pressure too high to be of any use for welding. I bought another gauge (proper one from the welding supply house) and it serves all my puposes.

CEB
02-04-2004, 08:12 PM
What's the difference in welding tips between the different victor kits...some say "W" style welding tips and others say W-1 or 1-W. Are these different sizes or series or just different ways of saying the same thing?

CEB
02-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Never mind the question about the different welding tip sizes...I spent a little time on the page below and found just about all of the info I needed. It looks like I will go for the super range, super range II or performer. I just need to find the best deal so that I can start practicing...already practicing a solid 3.5 hours per week in class.

http://www.thermadyne.com/vec/liter...dex.asp?div=vec

didlysquatts
02-11-2004, 12:56 PM
w's for bigger torch and w-1 is for small series.

i'm not trying to be sarcastic,but a plasma cutter would be more ideal for arts and crafts,not only arts and crafts but other metal chores and you will even be able to cut other alloys.aluminum,castings.Also plasma cutters cut lighting fast on lighter metals but I'll always be a torch guy but "Your Call" .What fits the budget.I hope you are happy with either choice.:)

trich
02-26-2004, 06:34 PM
The Victor is a good torch but make sure you get the smaller torch as it is much easier to use on most applications. The Purex torch is also easy to use.

echo8287
02-27-2004, 01:45 AM
I've been using the same small Victor for about 15 years . It still works fine and does a good job. David

arcdawg
02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
ceb, victor or harris are good name brand torches, which means that they are going to be in your garage for the long hall, stay away from chicom crap,and for 300.00 how can you go wrong...you can cut, weld, braze and heat with a torch

didly ......a plasma is going to be 3 to 5 times more $$$$ and you can only CUT with a plasma cutter

brian

CEB
02-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys! I ended up buying the victor super range II at a local gas shop for $199...that's about the cheapest I could find it on the internet so think it's a good deal. Now I just need some tanks...to lease or buy that is the quesiton.