PDA

View Full Version : gas mix for autobody work?

emeraldcoupe
06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
hi guys, new guy here. i did a search but i guess three letter words don't work.

i have a little lincoln weld pac 100 that is set up for flux core wire. i've been doing more sheetmetal lately ( floorpans, patch panels,etc ) and want to convert to gas. what kind of mix should i be using? i've never used gas before, only the flux wire. thanks in advance!

illenema
06-02-2010, 06:43 PM
84/16 or 90/10 argon mix for very light steel

SundownIII
06-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Illenema,

Could you fill us in on why you feel 84/16 (Argon/CO2) is so good for this application.

C10, 90%Argon/10%CO2 is more of a spray mix and really not well suited for this application.

Small mig and thin sheet metal (autobody work) lends itself to C25. The additional CO2 helps in the wetout when using the smaller machine and proper technique prevents burnthru.

Just because your local gas supplier pushes his "magic gas" on you doesn't mean that it's the best for a particular application. Go to a different location/area of the country and ask for 84/16 and you may get looked at kinda strange.

Now, Illenema if you are using a gas mixer and a weldpak 100 and have determined, thru extensive experimentation, that 84/16 is the best gas for autobody work then that's a different story. I've got the mixers and don't like 84/16 at all on my HH187.

yorkiepap
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey Illenema,
I agree with SundownIII regarding a mix for sheetmetal.....C25! You must have some kind of dunce at your local LWS who would suggest 84/16 or C10 for sheetmetal. If that is all he has, or is willing to provide, go find another LWS. I do 6-8 classic/show car resto's a year & all is done with C25 & .023 S-6 wire. My LWS at one time did not have an 80cf bottle to exchange for mine & offered C20.....I said nope. So, he said he would give me a 40cf of C25 free till he got some 80cf's filled. I do all my business there & they take care of me. It's great to have an LWS close by that definitely take care of their customers.

Denny

Broccoli1
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Don't know if ya know but you'll need the Mig Conversion kit for the Weld-pak

http://www.harrisweldingsupplies.com/lincolnk610-1migconversionkit.aspx

SundownIII
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Denny,

Sorry if it seemed I came down a little hard on Illenema but I hate it when new posters put out garbage, expecially to newcomers.

Only reason I can see the LWS recommending/pushing 84/16 is that that is about the max percentage of CO2 (actually about 18%) that will allow the higher amp migs to go into spray mode. Maybe they're pushing it as a dual purpose gas. If that's the case, then I guess I'll go on record and say it's NOT an optimal mix for spray. For the OP with a little Weldpak 100 (not a spray machine) it's NOT the best mix.

Of course, Illenema is the same guy (previous post) who's paying $170 for a 280 of 84/16. I hope that $170 included the hazmat fee as well as the vaseline surcharge.:D

My dad, before he retired ran a large body shop (about 15 bodymen) and ALL they used, since the migs became available, was .023 solid wire and C25. In fact I've still got a little Solar unit that was marketed by Snap-On as a "Bodyshop Mig".

yorkiepap
06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Hey Sundown,
I don't think you came down hard at all. Nothing wrong with trying to illuminate some thought patterns for the youngsters to contemplate before getting suckered into needless spending or wrong application paremeters. Many weldors don't get into spray processes for general use, or don't weld heavy(>.500) material that would be better suited with C10. My LWS will make any mix I need. It makes for a solid customer relationship & I always recommend them to those needing welding supplies. They also have a very knowledgeable crew there & no BS gets thrown in the mix.

I guess all we "seniors"('ol dogs) try to do is pass on solid, well-founded information thru our experiences to help the newbies /youngsters get a grasp on the myriad of variables one can encounter.

Denny

SWells
06-03-2010, 12:48 AM
I guess all we "seniors"('ol dogs) try to do is pass on solid, well-founded information thru our experiences to help the newbies /youngsters get a grasp on the myriad of variables one can encounter.

Denny

Gentlemen, thank you for doing that!

illenema
06-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Illenema,

Could you fill us in on why you feel 84/16 (Argon/CO2) is so good for this application.

C10, 90%Argon/10%CO2 is more of a spray mix and really not well suited for this application.

Small mig and thin sheet metal (autobody work) lends itself to C25. The additional CO2 helps in the wetout when using the smaller machine and proper technique prevents burnthru.

Just because your local gas supplier pushes his "magic gas" on you doesn't mean that it's the best for a particular application. Go to a different location/area of the country and ask for 84/16 and you may get looked at kinda strange.

Now, Illenema if you are using a gas mixer and a weldpak 100 and have determined, thru extensive experimentation, that 84/16 is the best gas for autobody work then that's a different story. I've got the mixers and don't like 84/16 at all on my HH187.

Because i have tanks of 84/16 mix and 75/25 mix here the 84/16 works better on light steel. .060 you can give me any reason you want and it wont begin to convince me to use anything else on light steel. If youd like to waste you time go for it.:blob3:
And please dont apologize, I like the input be right or wrong.

emeraldcoupe
06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
thanks for the input guys.