PDA

View Full Version : 90 Degree Gas Bottle to Regulator Adapter?

Steph
07-27-2010, 05:09 AM
I just picked up a E size bottle of tri-mix gas for mig welding stainless, and found they didn't have any side-outlet bottles available, which is what my regulator suits. So I'm stuck with a top-outlet which means the flow meter is horizontal, so I can't adjust it as the ball just sits there, rather than floating. My question is; is there a 90 degree elbow that can be used to mount the regulator at the correct angle? The flow meter can't be swivelled around, as no matter what position it is in, it remains horizontal.

Steph

stamp
07-27-2010, 05:25 AM
i'm not taking the piss here, but if its in a workshop can you tip the bottle on its side? it shouldn't be an issue with argon/CO2 and it might get you out of trouble until you find an adaptor

mrmikey
07-27-2010, 05:32 AM
it shouldn't be an issue with argon/CO2 ......
Isn't CO2 a gas over liquid, if so it'll freeze the regulator when it expands going thru it if you happen to draw down the liquid.
Or is the low percentage completely gas I'm not sure, hmmmm?.....Mike

Steph
07-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm going to tip it on the side if I can't find an elbow, and then set the flow before placing the bottle back upright. I just want the freedom to adjust the gas if need be, and not have to stuff around wasting time doing it. I'm using BOC Stainshield.

Thanks for your input,

Steph

DSW
07-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Isn't CO2 a gas over liquid, if so it'll freeze the regulator when it expands going thru it if you happen to draw down the liquid.
Or is the low percentage completely gas I'm not sure, hmmmm?.....Mike

Mike mixed gases, oxygen and 100% argon can be used in any position as it's all gas, no liquid. 100% CO2 is usually a liquid with gas on top same as propane. Of course acetylene must always be used upright.

raferguson
07-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Have you asked your local welding store? My local welding store always seems to have adapters for anything. Even if they did not have it in stock, they might be able to order it.

Maybe you have more than one local welding store. I would exhaust that route before I gave up.

It is probably possible to get 2000 psi hoses, even if you cannot get a 90 degree fitting. A hose with appropriate connectors would also solve your problem, you would just need to secure your regulator to something.

I too would be annoyed if I was in your situation.

Richard

mrmikey
07-27-2010, 03:54 PM
...as it's all gas, no liquid....
Thanks, wasn't sure....Mike