PDA

View Full Version : I know this was old way before i ask it

unionjack
02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
This is my first time on here, so be kind! I am looking at a job change, and well you guessed it, i am looking at welding! Right now i live in Ohio and i am planing to move up to Sk. in Canada. I want to learn a trade and i picked welding. I want to get into one of the oil companies up there so the skills i want to learn will revolve around the oil and gas industry. With just starting out in learning what should i focus on as far as the types of welding and certs. i will need to be qualified to work in that industry. I am verry mechanicly inclined and i learn fairly quick, how long should it take to get the qualifications i need. Any and all advice/criticism/comments are welcome! I want to learn!!!!!!

Thanks

Root Dog
02-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Unionjack,

ridgerunner
02-13-2006, 11:56 PM
hiya union and welcome aboard
cant tell ya exactly what certs ya will need due to the fact that although ive been welding a long time i never had to deal with certs and that it will be very dependent on individual buisness.Im in the process of currently going back to school just basicaly to get more background info and technigue that i missed out on by basicaly teaching myself. I will be attending american tech institute starting this april,im sure there are better schools and worse ones however this is a 9 mth combination welding course that covers stick,mig,tig,oa,arc gouging,and cutting on alum,steel and stainless as well as pipe.
The unfortunate truth of the matter is that taking cert tests is not a cheap process here in the states and im sure its not any better up north.i would like to tell ya that ya can learn everything ya need by working at it on ur own but as ive found out its damn near impossible.
This is not to say give up(never!!!)but that i would advise trying to get some formal education to go along with working on ur own.You may want to check out some of the sites for oil companies and check job postings to see what certs theyll want for a hire.Keep in mind that any proof of knowledge that u can show when posting a resume is another point in your favor.
the pure basics at a minimum ur going to need is basic welding and cuttin skills,as ya advance ull definetaly want pipe in vertical horizontal and flat as well as plate from sheetmetal to unlimited.
One of the nice things is that most if not all schools will have a aws certified inspecter usualy on site that not only can certifie ya as u learn but having an inspecter that u can pick information from is invaluable.

one thing to always remember u can never stop learning and u can learn something from every single person ya meet .From the guy next door doing his best to burn down his garage to guy with a doctorate in welding technology each one looks at and does it just a bit differently.personaly i feel that it is the defining of ur own personal style and ability that makes welding an art as much as a trade.

Root Dog
02-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Sorry bout last post. Let me start out by saying that you have sellected a very good trade to change too. If you are dedicated, and serious enough, you can do it. But, IT WON"T BE OVERNIGHT. YOU will need some pipe certs, like here in the states. A.P I., A.S.M.E, A.W.S, etc. Remember, if you plan on pipelining, all the classroom knowledge in the world, will not prepare you for what it takes to perform on the job. Like kneeling in muck and mud, while you try to run a stringer in a 16in open root in a 4ft ditch for 100%. Its done every day though. You too can be that person if you try. Best Wishes, and Really Good Luck.

B2N3 Welder
02-14-2006, 09:58 AM
unionjack so how long ya think it will take ya to be welding 6G welds that will pass xray ? How soon are ya looking at saskatchewan and why not norther alberta around Fort McMurray ? Oh by the way usa certs dont mean **** in canada either to my knowledge
Lance

unionjack
02-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I dont know how long it will take me to be able to do 6g welds that will pass xray, im sure it wont be right away. My fiance lives in Sk. right now. I know the work is in Alberta though! Once i get some training, i am going to need a job, then more training! I think you guys have an apprenticeship up there for welding to get the Red Seal. I dont know how much wieght that carries with it, but i would like to get into a program to earn it! All i want to do now is learn enough to get myself a job welding, and then become the best i can at it!

steel shot
02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Find yourself a school that sends welders into the real world of welding.Some schools will teach you how to build an A frame and others will teach you how to be an industrial welder. Ask what kind of succesful job placement the school your lookin at has had. You need to be workin in the refineries and chemical plants where you will be welding everyday.. Once you get the basics you could go on the road workin T/A's and in just a year or so you would be top notch...

But what do I know, I've got as many posts as you!!!

ss

Irwelder
02-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi Unionjack,
I am new to this forum also and took some welding training in Sk. over 20 years ago. I left there shortly after for Alberta where I entered the apprenticehip program and have been earning my living as a welder ever since.
The Kelsey Institute in Saskatoon had an excellent pre-employment welding program and probably still do. It was a ten or twelve month program that focused on practical and of course theory. The theory was on one's own time and the class time was all hands on welding. I believe that Sask. has an apprenticeship program as well, training in Moose Jaw?, so that is something that you could look into. Similar to Alberta I think that one must have a Journeyman ticket (or be able to pass the Journeyman test, practical and theory) to obtain a pressure ticket.
What part of Sask are you planning on moving to? Contact welding shops or oil and gas service companies in the area to see if they are looking for apprentices. I am sure that they will be.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Patrick_76
02-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey Steel Shot,
are you the same Steel Shot that shows up on the refuge and customcalls forums?

Patrick

steel shot
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
On the refuge as shootinsteel3s on msducks.com as steel shot..

ss

fireblade
02-24-2006, 10:33 PM
there is a ton of jobs in saskatchewan and alberta. certification in alberta is more acredited so you would be better of in alberta the wages are higher as well. I have my journeyman certificate and my red seal you have to go to school and work hours to get this far but after that the door is wide open. practice with 6010 and 7018 in all positions on plate and pipe and you should be able to pass a basic job test and then your employer can sign you up for apprentiship.

flamed94xp
02-28-2006, 10:51 PM
ther is a excellent school in windsor ontario that will certify you in any form you want, i am in my forth week and i love it, i cannot wait to get my tickets so i can get a job. good luck

Joker11
03-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Whatever you do....if you go to a school, be it a tech school, trade school, college night courses ( as I did) make copies of your qualifications, report cards, receipts. I had a ton of classes I aced...the college lost my records, and my ex burned my proof. I have nothing formal to show on paper, but I can weld mustard to a sandwich!