PDA

View Full Version : Tips on welding heavy plate

nimzox
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, how's it goin! I am going to take a welding test for a possible job with decent pay and good benefits on Monday. Being that I live in Michigan, a decent paying job that includes full benefits is quite rare in this economy right now. The guy told me that they mig weld steel plate 6 to 12 inches thick. That's pretty thick steel! I have welded a lot of steel plate but not that thick. I was just wondering if there is anything important that I should know about, or any welding techniques that would be helpful when welding steel of this thickness. All opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

A_DAB_will_do
08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Good luck. There's not enough detail in your post to offer really meaningful advice. Weldments on thick materials like you're describing are usually done with very specific welding procedures. Follow them! That's the best advice I can give you.

If I were to take a SWAG at it, I'd say you're looking at high pre-heat temps, controlled interpass temps, and gas shielded flux core process, not solid wire MIG. If it's fluxcore then watch your stickout, work angle, travel angle, and travel speed. It'll be large diameter wire, so take your heaviest leathers and a selection of darker (shade 11,12,13,14) helmet lenses. Keep your nozzle clean of accumulated spatter and double check your gas flow before you start welding.

Would like to know more so report back on what happens Monday.