PDA

View Full Version : Another Welding Cart

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 05:51 PM
As many beginning welders have done, I decided to build a simple cart to hold my welder and gas. I spent most of my time being careful with the cutting and making sure everything is square and plumb; which for the most part, it is. I'll be putting some plate on the two platforms, the top to hold the welder and the bottom, to have something to weld casters on and to be able to use the bottom to hold the gas cylinder on the extended part and the rest for stuff like clamps.

Everything is 1/8" x 1" angle iron. I plan to use 1/8/th flat iron on the top and bottom. Question; will I have trouble with it warping as I weld around the outside of the frame? Any tips on how to go about that appreciated.

LMSyrus
12-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Good job! Are you going to weld hooks on for your leads?

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Good job! Are you going to weld hooks on for your leads?

Thanks, yes I will be attaching something to coil the leads on. I'm not sure about a couple of things yet, wheels, etc., because I'm not working from plans.

ed mac
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
looking good

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the comments; remember I had a question about welding that flat iron to the bottom. I'm worried I won't be able to just lay it on there and weld it on, I'm afraid it will warp before I get all the way around. Should I tack it in several places first? Is there anything to worry about with 1/8th? How should I handle that?

Down&out
12-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Nice work!!

oxygen454
12-29-2010, 09:21 PM
You may get some warpage. You can either do stitch patterns around the plate instead of welding solid which is what I would do or, you could weld 2 inches and then go to the other side of the plate (not the underside) and weld and then top....just jump around... but stitching would be the best with the sheet inside the angle ..

Defiantly give it a few good tacs.

Then throw some caster wheels on each corner, wire hangers, a safety chain, some paint and your good to go.

Rugar
12-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the comments; remember I had a question about welding that flat iron to the bottom. I'm worried I won't be able to just lay it on there and weld it on, I'm afraid it will warp before I get all the way around. Should I tack it in several places first? Is there anything to worry about with 1/8th? How should I handle that?

Theres no reason to weld it all the way around. 1/2" welds every 5 to 6" should be plenty. But if your planning to put casters on all four corners of your existing frame, your going to have a top heavy cart. Best bet would be to put a axle on the cylinder end with wheels extending outside the frame to give it stability.

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 09:31 PM
You may get some warpage. You can either do stitch patterns around the plate instead of welding solid which is what I would do or, you could weld 2 inches and then go to the other side of the plate (not the underside) and weld and then top....just jump around... but stitching would be the best with the sheet inside the angle ..

Defiantly give it a few good tacs.

Then throw some caster wheels on each corner, wire hangers, a safety chain, some paint and your good to go.

I thought about putting the sheet inside the angle rather than just welding it to the bottom; it would definitely look better. You'll have to explain stitching to me if you don't mind; I've been welding for a whole 2 weeks.:alien:

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Theres no reason to weld it all the way around. 1/2" welds every 5 to 6" should be plenty. But if your planning to put casters on all four corners of your existing frame, your going to have a top heavy cart. Best bet would be to put a axle on the cylinder end with wheels extending outside the frame to give it stability.

I had thought about it being top heavy since it's so narrow, the wheels on the outside of the frame is a good idea.

As for the welding, I'm just starting so the more the better for right now and I need the practice!:laugh:

welderShane
12-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Looks good!

oxygen454
12-29-2010, 10:50 PM
This is a stitch pattern. If asked for a 2-3 pattern, this means 2" of weld, and welds on 3" centers. In this pic I thew together, the stitches are on 2 1/2" centers The half rectangles are welds. (not to scale)

oxygen454
12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
The axle with wheels on the outside is the best way to go as stated above...

Also the bottle on the back will help keep it from being too top heavy. My cart is similar to this one and my welder also goes on top. They all seems to be similar to this. Top heavy has not been a problem. Just make sure the safety chain is on there. You dont even want to know what happens when a bottle falls over.

http://www.kmstools.com/images/large/M/MAG-TC0731_LRG.jpg

oxygen454
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
This is what a small scuba tank similar to your welding tank will do. That is if the top is cut off which doesn't happen very easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyINNUaXa8Q

kenklingerman
12-29-2010, 11:00 PM
cool, kinda like mine, still have never painted it!

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/kenklingerman/cart2.jpg

oxygen454
12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Nice, you could put a plasma on there too.

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 11:20 PM
This is a stitch pattern. If asked for a 2-3 pattern, this means 2" of weld, and welds on 3" centers. In this pic I thew together, the stitches are on 2 1/2" centers The half rectangles are welds. (not to scale)

Thanks for explaining it.

oxygen454
12-29-2010, 11:22 PM
No problem, happy to help.

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
cool, kinda like mine, still have never painted it!

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/kenklingerman/cart2.jpg

That's kind of what I had in mind. Hadn't thought about expanded metal though.

stevenstilts
12-29-2010, 11:30 PM
This is what a small scuba tank similar to your welding tank will do. That is if the top is cut off which doesn't happen very easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyINNUaXa8Q

Would you believe I've seen that done intentionally. I'm a helicopter pilot and I've seen some of the offshore workers on rigs aim oxygen bottles offshore and knock off the stem with a sledgh hammer to watch what happens. (among other things equally dangerous) It's been years though, before safety was the priority it is now.

oxygen454
12-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah its crazy. I have heard of full size tanks going through brick walls and a 1/4 mile across a field and into the ground but never seen it in real life. I have however had bottles fall over and crack the tops and acetylene tank valves catch on fire. That's scary enough.

himsa169
12-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Not trying to be a negative nancy but im in a class, so i see all the retarded things that you will probly not need to worry about. But i would flip the angle or in your case add a piece so the welder sits with a little boarder around it. you dont know how many times ive seen a hole kids pull the mig by the gun/ground lead/ or the plug and pulled it right off the cart but im sure you treat your machine alot diffrent

oxygen454
12-30-2010, 12:45 AM
haha I was thinking the same thing... he could weld some tabs in the corners or on each side on center too.

My cart has a plate which clamps down on the front side with a couple of bolts and some angle in the back side.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VB%2BM6pQyL._SL500_.jpg

(Sorry for all the pictures lol)

stevenstilts
12-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Not trying to be a negative nancy but im in a class, so i see all the retarded things that you will probly not need to worry about. But i would flip the angle or in your case add a piece so the welder sits with a little boarder around it. you dont know how many times ive seen a hole kids pull the mig by the gun/ground lead/ or the plug and pulled it right off the cart but im sure you treat your machine alot diffrent

That's a good point, however this particular welder has four 1/4 20 bolt thread points on the bottom which I plan to use to bolt it to two pieces of angle I'll weld across the top piece. It won't fall off. Also, turning the angle up has the potential to interfere with the opening of the wire feed door on the side. I'll post photos to show you what I'm talking about when I do it.

Monica
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
That's a good point, however this particular welder has four 1/4 20 bolt thread points on the bottom which I plan to use to bolt it to two pieces of angle I'll weld across the top piece. It won't fall off. Also, turning the angle up has the potential to interfere with the opening of the wire feed door on the side. I'll post photos to show you what I'm talking about when I do it.

That's what I came across on my cart. The space you need depends on the width of the sides and the depth of the shelf. I gave myself 1.5" on each side of the machine (I used 1"x1"x1/8"). At that point I had not yet decided what material I'd use on the shelf but that was a safe measurement. I ended up using a 3/4" thick piece of shelf board to hurry up and get it done. So clearance isn't even a second thought. I also retained a small lip. In time I can change the shelf material as I see fit.

If you find the door gets stopped by the side, just make your shelf a little thicker so the machine sits a little higher. That'll help it clear.

Edit: oop, just read you got it already done. Coffee hasn't taken affect yet :blush2:

himsa169
12-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Thats is a good point the more i think about it is our mig feeds ar on top of the power sources. I was thinking about the plasma, cuz that has its own cart which i welded a lip on to try n stop it from falling but the cart is top heavy so it doesnt really matter. A few weeks ago we had a kid pull it it fell over and it broke the copper pipe thats sticking out for the air line to attach to. That class never stops amazing me i just found this site after we went on break but ill be posting pics of the good the bad and the just plain retarded things so you guys can look forward to hiring new help:D

1awert1
12-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Kinda reminds me of the time we packed match heads into a empty Co2 canister (the little ones they use for pallet guns) lit the end and it took of like a bullet, up the alley and thru a guys window about a block away.... that was exciting ...The year was 1964 i believe...Ya just don't forget them things...

JLE-ENT.
12-30-2010, 10:52 PM
I thought about putting the sheet inside the angle rather than just welding it to the bottom; it would definitely look better. You'll have to explain stitching to me if you don't mind; I've been welding for a whole 2 weeks.:alien:

What weld I saw and your fitup looks good, actually da*n good for only 2 weeks behind the hood! :cool:

stevenstilts
12-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Got some more work done on the Cart today; put bottom plates on, axel for rear wheels and casters for front. As they say at OCC, got a rolling chassie. Still need to mount the cross pieces to bolt the welder to, add a brace and safety chain for the tank and put a couples of hooks to hang the leads on; that and some paint.

oxygen454
01-01-2011, 02:04 AM
That looks really good! Nice work! I see you jumped around when you were welding or did step welding. Looks great! :drinkup:

MarkBall2
01-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Get some 1/2" wide strap & tie the welder down by drilling a hole to match one of the cover screws, then screw the strap to the angle. Only need to do 3 straps, two on the side opposite the wire cover, one in the back. It will help hold the welder to the cart & keep it from sliding around. If it gets tipped over, all bets are off.

I did that with mine, but I did it with two welders on the top shelf & a Century stick welder on the bottom shelf.

MarkBall2
01-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Might also get some light chain or at least a bunjie cord to hold the bottle in place. It will help prevent the bottle from falling over when the cart is moved about.

stevenstilts
01-01-2011, 10:45 AM
That looks really good! Nice work! I see you jumped around when you were welding or did step welding. Looks great! :drinkup:

Thanks for the compliments; I'm really enjoying working on it.:waving:

stevenstilts
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Get some 1/2" wide strap & tie the welder down by drilling a hole to match one of the cover screws, then screw the strap to the angle. Only need to do 3 straps, two on the side opposite the wire cover, one in the back. It will help hold the welder to the cart & keep it from sliding around. If it gets tipped over, all bets are off.

I did that with mine, but I did it with two welders on the top shelf & a Century stick welder on the bottom shelf.

This welder has 4 1/4 x 20 taps in the bottom; my plan is to take the two scrap pices of flat stock and weld across the bottom then drill holes that line up with the bolts. Thanks

stevenstilts
01-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Might also get some light chain or at least a bunjie cord to hold the bottle in place. It will help prevent the bottle from falling over when the cart is moved about.

I have the chain already, and I'm going to bend a cradle to hold it tight and weld it to the top piece. Thanks

bigwhitebeast
01-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I cut some pipe rings for holding my tanks, mine are the smaller tanks but those aren't that big you coould lift it right in.

http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52124&stc=1&d=1276475020

From this thread http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=42507

hkstwn7
01-01-2011, 09:25 PM
nice looking cart, are you plannin on putting another machine on the bottom shelf? Ralph

stevenstilts
01-01-2011, 09:37 PM
nice looking cart, are you plannin on putting another machine on the bottom shelf? Ralph

Thanks Ralph. No, the bottom shelf is just for tools, clamps and other misc stuff. Honestly I wasn't really thinking about that when I started it. I doubt I'll be getting a plasma cutter or anything like that soon anyway.:alien:

stevenstilts
01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=bigwhitebeast;454778]I cut some pipe rings for holding my tanks, mine are the smaller tanks but those aren't that big you coould lift it right in.

I thought about that, I had some old refrigerant recovery tanks I could have cut up for rings, but the diameter was too big. I'll be making a cradle for the top part of the tank to which I'll attach a safety chain. It should work ok for a hacker; I won't be taking it on the road it'll be just around my shop.

stevenstilts
01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Got 'er done! Finished the welding cart today and, all things considered, everything came out OK. The warpage on that thin metal was the worst problem I had, but it didn't really affect the function or strength of the cart. I learned a lot on this project and thanks for the help and comments. I'll be taking on more challenging projects soon but now I'm ready to do a few repairs around the place in the next few weeks, which was my excuse for buying the welder. Thanks again!

MarkBall2
01-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't remember reading this in the owner's manual, but wire feed welders don't like sharp bends in the gun/lead. It kinks the liner & causes all kinds of problems. You might loosen up the loops of the gun a bit, one loop would be great. It will cause fewer problems down the road.

Liners are cheap, but why replace something that doesn't need it............ yet.

And the cart is just handsome.

stevenstilts
01-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't remember reading this in the owner's manual, but wire feed welders don't like sharp bends in the gun/lead. It kinks the liner & causes all kinds of problems. You might loosen up the loops of the gun a bit, one loop would be great. It will cause fewer problems down the road.

Liners are cheap, but why replace something that doesn't need it............ yet.

And the cart is just handsome.

Actually I DID read it in the manual, thanks for the reminder. :blush2:

himsa169
01-03-2011, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=MarkBall2;454548] If it gets tipped over, all bets are off.
QUOTE]

you should make a little roll cage for the welder .

stevenstilts
01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=MarkBall2;454548] If it gets tipped over, all bets are off.
QUOTE]

you should make a little roll cage for the welder .

It's bolted to the top, it won't fall off; and it's pretty stable because the back wheels are wider than the body.