PDA

View Full Version : Rosebud - regulator settings?

jcrcr
02-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi all! I'm very new at gas setup and I need some help.

I'm looking for some advice on setting up my Victor torch and rosebud. I've tried using 5 psi for both oxy and acetylene, but all I get is a roaring flame and as I turn up the oxy to try and get the cones to appear, the torch POPS and goes out. The rosebud is a #6.

Also, my oxygen regulator guage ranges from 0 - 200. should I have a a guage with a lower range, say 0 - 50?

Thanks and regards,
John

:confused:

Franz
02-14-2004, 02:02 PM
4 to 1 ratio of oxygen to acet. Basic physics requires the 4 to 1 ratio for combustion.
Set your Acet @5 and your Oxygen @20 and see how it flys. If that doesn't support the tip, jack both up and maintain the ratio.
There are 2 valves on the torch handle that do all of the flame adjustment you'll need as long as the regulators are in the ballpark. My regulators are set @ 10 and 40 for the last 40 years, and don't get adjusted.
New guys tend to get way too absorbed in settings, be it regulators or amps & volts on a machine.
Your gague is fine, it doesn't need to be a 50# max, and I doubt the regulator will supply 200psi.

joehobart
02-14-2004, 02:20 PM
if you fish around on victor's website, you will find thier literature section.
http://www.thermadyne.com/vec/literature/pdfs/057_65-2007.pdf

From the chart a #6 MFA is 10/15 Oxy, 8/12 Acetylne in psi.

fla jim
02-14-2004, 06:42 PM
John.;
It's real important to remenber the "the 1/7th Rule" when using a large torch.
Check you acetylene bottle, and torch size. If you're using a large "Rosebud torch" with a medium or small Acetylene bottle. you can withdraw too much acetylene from the cylinder, causing Acetone to be drawn into the regulator and torch, causing SERIOUS PROBLEMS . The rule for safety is never withdraw more than 1/7th of your acetylene tank volume in an hour. Check you owners manual, or the MFG. for the volume of Acetylene your torch and tip use.

jcrcr
02-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone! Using your suggestions (and reading the manual, as I should have done before posting here!) I got the rosebud fired up fine. I was starving the torch - I needed more fuel pressure.

Regarding the 1/7th rule, my tank is about 2.5 - 3' tall and is about half the size of my Oxy tank. Wish I knew the capacity... I don't know if that's considered small - medium... My gas supplier set me up with the torch set and all my tanks.

Again, thanks for the quick help. I really like this board! I will learn a lot here, and someday, perhaps, even be able to contribute!

Best regards,
John