PDA

View Full Version : Which welder - I know, dashavue all over again

FastTracl
05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I know this question has been asked many times and I did a search on it but couldn't find a thread with the type of stuff I would like to weld. I'm looking to weld simular stuff like this:
http://www.stockcarracing.com/howto/32838/

and storage stuff with most likely 1" sqaure and sqaure tubing.

What would be the better welder to get?

Roy Hodges
05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
get a 175 amp mig machine , .023-.025 wire (70s6) or even .030 wire (i wouldn't ) c02 gas works well , for a GOOD machine -the other guys will tell you to use the high priced mixed gas. you'll need the hy price stuff , if you ever weld roll cages or critical stuff . get a Koike Accu flow meter . they're the best . just ask ME . (hah hah ) i have the others, & they suck .

MAC702
05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
You could do all of that with a 120V MIG if you had to, so buy according to your budget and future possibilities, keeping in mind that if you HAVE the capabilities, you will easily find projects that will utilize them.

For the basic square tubing, .023" or .030" solid wire is the way to go. I agree on the CO2 for general purpose. The argon mix will be a necessity if you plan on anything thinner than 20-ga. But, overall, it's cheaper and lasts longer. For outdoors work or dirty steel, go with .030" flux-cored wire, preferably an E71T-11.

I have no problems with cheap, stock flowgauges, except that you might want one designed for CO2 if you go that route, as it can freeze one designed for mixed gases.