View Full Version : Auction Prices for Miller Plasma and Welder
02-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm going to an auction later this week that has a Miller 250 Mig welder and a Miller Spectrum 3000 plasma cutter. Anyone here have any experience with either of these? What should I expect them to cost and are consumables still available for them?
Any information you have will be helpful ...
02-17-2004, 08:59 PM
miller is pretty good about there cosumables, i wouldnt hesatate if the prices are good, brian
02-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Depending on location, condition of the machines, and the auctioneer, I wouldn't pay more than 50% of new.
Any auctioneer worth a damn should be able to sell these machines for 120% of new retail price.
If you don't know the machines, and can't test drive them, leave them alone at 50% of new price.
02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Thats usualy the rule i follow fifty percent is a great price but as franz says the auction sometimes goes well above retail gotta be careful dont get to excited with action bidding fever do a search,, ebay might help
02-18-2004, 09:11 PM
OK, first, my pet bitch, guys who are so damn secretive they keep their location covert. Well, fine by me, and good luck to ya, cause the aution game is played differently across the country.
New York, has a list of rules that the auctioneer must follow, and those rules are enfgorced by the Comissioner of Auctions. The last time there was a Comissioner of Auctions in NY State. 1972, so the auctioneer can do as he damn well pleases, and most of them do.
Take a look at this sale on 6 March, and you might think it's worth attending, nice pictures and all. What you don't know is the auctioneer learned auctioneering at a 10 day course, and he is dumber than a bag of rocks. He used to run a hotdog stand in Newark, but he went bust at that, so now he sells auctions, and he works CHEAP.
I'd be willing to bet he is getting 10% comission plus advertising for this sale, and the only reason he's selling it is because he kicks back to the banker holding the paper.
Just about every one of those machines has already been thru 2 or 3 auctions and moved a good number of times, but they will be auctioned as mint condition, of course you'll also sign a disclaimer when you win the bid, that Reynolds thinks protects him from lawsuit.
Really an auctioneer doesn't need to know much about what he's selling, because he is looking at the bidder's eyes, and any halfassed auctioneer knows when the bidding is over.
Notice the description on the old AIRCO TIG machine. Reynolds will puff that baby as state of the art, and he will get a few hundred from some fool.
02-19-2004, 05:05 PM
I have heard that the auctioneer will actualy have people in the crowd actualy bidding something up when they know they got a dummy bidder thats why I usualy try to know exactly what i want to bid for a item before the bidding startsand hardly ever go above
02-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Any good auctioneer doesn't need shills, he can pull bids out of the air without the real bidders noticing it. Hell, I can pull bids out of the air, and I ain't but a poor singer.
Different styles are employed in different parts of the country.
Hudson & Marshall out of Atlanta will run 1 singer and 6 ring men, and I guarnadamntee you the singer has no idea where the hell the price is, cause the ring guys are working hell out of the bidders. With all of that confusion, I'd rather do business with H&M than some clowns around here, like Roy Tietsworth.
Roy sits in the back of a pickup and sings, while a couple ring guys watch for bids he doesn't see. What most bidders don't realize is that they are bidding against Roy cause if he don't get the price he appraised, he just moves it to his next sale, or his rental equipment fleet.
Auctions are all about rythm and frenzy. If the croud ain't bidding, I'll do a quick knockdown to one of my friends, take a drink and when everybody finishes tellin me how they were still bidding, I'll call the next item and remind them that if they want to bid BID, cause I might be sellin cheap but I ain't gonna take all day to do it.
I'll also guarantee you when I'm selling I can tell by the look in a bidder's eyes when he is done bidding. That's the auctioneer's advantage.
As a bidder you have to know the auctioneer and his style. Some singers will only look as far as their eyes swivel, and others have a neck like an owl. There are guys who will lock on 2 competing bidders and knock down as soon as 1 quits, without looking for another bidder.
There is NO obligation on a bidder's part to be shy! If the auctioneer or his ringman doesn't see you bidding, OPEN your mouth. YUP will get an auctioneers attention regardless of where you are positioned in the croud.
There are other auctioneers I'll position myself right next to, primarily because they spit, and bid to by poking them in the back.
That technique will get me knockdowns cause other bidders think the auctioneer is pulling air bids, and they are getting screwed.
Another technique is to BUST the rythm. If I'm taking $5- raises on an item, and you are willing to pay $50-, BID $50- ! I might be at $20- but I'll damn well take $50 and ask for $55-. You have about an 80% chance of getting the knock down at $50- cause the other bidders don't know how far you will go. In the other 20% of sales, I'll probably sing it up to $70- before I knock it down, cause 2 people will get caught in the rythm. The auctioneer knows how the sale will run after the first 10 items.
About the only thing an auctioneer allows himself to get concerned about is pooling. Pooling is when a bunch of bidders get together before the auction, and decide who is bidding while the rest sit out. After the sale, the pool will get together over lunch and decide who bought what. They will have stolen the sale by eliminating competition other than from outsiders, and outsiders will be beaten down quick cause the pool can afford to overbid on a few items to chase competition off.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.