PDA

View Full Version : Hobart beta mig vs new welder

Toivul
04-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a hobart beta mig for $300. I'm looking for something to weld body panels and up to 1/4". Not sure on the model still waiting for the guy to reply. Just wondering if this would be a smart buy? I have mig, smaw, and oxy fuel experience and looking into buy my first welder but the budget is tight so any advice is appreciated.

jbyrd
04-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Ironic: Just this last weekend I was at a buddies wrecking yard and he needed some minor repairs around the shop. Out of the back he pulls this Hobart Beta Mig 200 that looked older than Methuselah. I was dubious of it to say the least. Turns out it welded great. Was running .035 wire with a Argon/Co2. Worked great.

I say if it welds good then for 300 bucks I would do it.

darthwelder
04-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Older machines dont have printed circuit boards. If you do some reading on this site, a lot of people are having issues with PCB welders....after some time, you just cant get the parts to fix them. Ill take a big, fat, heavy, old transformer ANY day.

As of right now, Im looking into a TIG machine. I really want something that doesnt have any PCB in it. Looks like an old 300 ap/b in my future.

JD

PS// While you CANT get a PCB for a 4 yr old tig 185 from Lincoln.....you can still get parts for the 1972 model Idealarc 250 ac/dc !! Chew on that for a while.