PDA

View Full Version : hey all. from pdx too.

mfre1111
04-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I am Matt. I am looking for a little help on a welder I picked up cheap. It is a gas powered Scott model 135. The briggs and stratton 8 hp runs great, but the welder It isn't working. I understand that is is made by Belco Industries inc. They are in NM. I am trying to find a wiring diagram for this welder. It looks like a old chevy alternator inside with a bunch of diodes and a potentiometer, a couple of heat sinks. It looks like somebody was dinking with it as some of the wires are disconnected and I have no idea where they go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy bacon frying.

Bluewelders
04-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Could you take a photo ?

mfre1111
04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Here is a link to an article about it in popular mechanics back in 1977. Once I figure out how to add a picture I will put it up. I have several. Just copy and paiste this to your browser. That is the exact one I have. Thank you Matt

http://books.google.com/books?id=ewEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA160&lpg=PA160&dq=scott+model+135++arc&source=bl&ots=LBhZce98VW&sig=BwHJb5I9I8kKLVyfebLtt7WKIwI&hl=en&ei=_zyfTdGzBM_biAKJpp34Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

mfre1111
04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Hello again, can anyone tell me how to put pictures up? Any help greatly appreciated. Matt

DSW
04-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Hello again, can anyone tell me how to put pictures up? Any help greatly appreciated. Matt

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps...

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=111

mfre1111
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I am going to try this one ficture at a time.

mfre1111
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
wow it worked.

mfre1111
04-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I can get more pictures if needed. thank you all

mfre1111
05-22-2011, 12:12 AM
I am assuming that nobody can help me with a diagram or a direction to go to get this welder to work. Just wanted to add something to get this back in the eye of someone that might be able to help me. Thanks

duaneb55
05-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Being an automotive type alternator as the article and you have stated, if you take it to a reputable alternator shop or mechanic that knows alternators (not just a "parts changer") they should be able to get things sorted out for you.

i suspect the potentiometer would simply be controlling the rotor field current thru a voltage regulator. The output diodes are likely external to the alternator for better cooling as heat is their biggest enemy and are probably of a higher rating than the typical alternator units for the welder application.

A few shots of the inards might be helpful.

irish fixit
05-22-2011, 02:09 AM
I've heard of these. There was someone still supporting them but it's been a long time since I run across it.

Basically they're a slightly rewound Delco alternator. If memory serves me the originals had a little heavier wire in the stator but the main difference was they changed the internal connection of the three phases. I'm tying to remember the details but if I remember correctly a Delco is wired star wound from the factory and they changed it to delta.

Let's see. Ah here it is. Someone has posted a copy of the original usenet post.

http://www.4crawler.com/Welding/alternator.txt

I was real interested in this at one time. I did have a pretty good book on the things you could do with alternators. They're capable of a lot more than people think. In fact the main limiting factor is getting the power to them without breaking the input shaft.

mfre1111
05-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Hey sonnyone, If you could put up the link to the woman that says her parents owned the company I would really appriciate it. I would really like to get this little beauty (makin bacon) welding, I have a mig but as we all know, sometimes there is nothing like a stick welder. Thanks all. I am going to try the phone on Monday.

LUCKYLEE
02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Hello- my name is lee. I see on the forum you asked about a wireing diagram for a scott 135 dc welder. I have one of these welders with the original owners manual. It has all wireing diagrams in it. Let me know if you still need this info.-----------have a good day----lee

mfre1111
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
LUCKYLEE: you rock bro. yes yes yes and YES. I sent you a pm. Thank you so much. matt

ablebob
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Belco and Scott made several models and sizes and used several alternators to do it. I have a manual for a Belco 135 amp model 91400 with the Wisconsin Robin engine if anybody needs a copy of a diagram or troubleshooting page.

I am looking for a wiring diagram & troubleshooting page for a 175 amp Scott with a single cylinder Briggs engine.

There was a man named Jim Cantrell in Tennesee supporting them but the phone number was disconnected when I tried it today.

Most problems are exciter related or a broken wire. I have worked on 4 or 5 of them. If power is low or no power in both welding & 120 volt plug it is a exciter / control problem. There are 4 fuses - NONE of them affect the welding part, all 4 are for the power section.