PDA

View Full Version : Where I will connect the onepiece cable in my TIG torch in + or - ?

noel30
05-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Hello guys one more question, I confused if where I will connect my torch, I have one piece cable in my torch and one hose that I know for argon, But the one piece cable for power source where I will connect it positive or negative. I see diagram that they connect it in negative and the positive become the clamp ground. But I see some video that they connect it in the electrode clamp of arc welding machine which is positive right. Which is right? I read that if you connect it in positive the tungsten rod will be burn. Thank you all.

noel30
05-29-2011, 12:35 AM
by the way i just want to convert my arc welding machine into tig welding machine for steel welding. sorry I'm just new about this field. i want to learn how it convert.

snoeproe
05-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Does your welder have a polarity switch?
If not, you want to connect your tig torch to the - post and use DC- polarity (straight) for scratch start tig welding. Your ground cable will then go to the + post.
If your welder has a polarity switch on it, you can connect the tig torch to the + post and turn the polarity switch to the DC- position.
I am asuming your tig torch has a gas valve on it?

noel30
05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
thanks for reply. yes there is gas valve on my torch, what do u mean polarity switch? a switch for AC and DC, if that is what u mean it doesn't have, but in the bottom of machine there is output for DC and output for AC, which the cable can connect just choice what you want, but like switch it doesn't have. thanks

weldbead
05-29-2011, 01:38 PM
i dont have a switch either, just put it where it needs to go..torch plus for aluminum. minus for steel.

noel30
05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks weldbead, torch plus for aluminum? but i need High Frequency in order to weld aluminum right. I don't have HF, so I will direct the torch cable into negative and the ground clamp will be the positive so I can TIG in steel.

What will happen if I will connect the torch to the AC terminal of my welding arc machine, My welding machine ha 2 combination terminal under the machine 1 is for DC 1 is for AC, Can I TIG weld aluminum if I will connect the torch cable in the AC terminal of the machine. Thanks again all.

snoeproe
05-29-2011, 05:04 PM
No, you dont have high frequency so dont bother hooking anything to the ac connection. No aluminum.
DC+ for stick, DC- for tig steel.

weldbead
05-30-2011, 05:54 AM
once i had the torch positive and started to weld steel. it blew a flame and the cup shattered into pieces.

jakeru
05-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Remember, when TIG welding in DC you'll 99.99% of the time want to be running DCEN = "Direct Current, Electrode Negative". To get that mode of operation, you will want the TIG torch hooked up to the "-" terminal of your power supply. (And then the Ground/work clamp will be hooked up to "+" terminal.)

Happy inert-gas-nonconsumable-electrode-metal-melting. :cool:

farmall
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Read this:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=38106