PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln AC-225 Amps

desertjim
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
A year or so ago I purchased a used Lincoln. The man had it plugged in and working but said he was using it on 30amps. He kept the plug. I put a 50A plug on it and added a 50A outlet for it at the main power box. Works like a charm.

For logistical reasons, I'd like to use it on 30A if possible. The unit says "Input 50A".

Anyone know for sure whether it will run on 30a?

Many thanks,

Jim

CharleyL
06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
It will run on 30 amps and do smaller light to medium work but, if you get into something bigger on higher current settings, you can expect to trip the breaker. We used one of these on a 30 amp breaker and 250' of 10/3 ga wire to build a roof frame for a 7' square well house. The only power available there was 30 amps at 240 volts that was intended for running the well pump, and we re-purposed it temporarily. Most of the construction involved welding 1 1/2 X 1/8 angle together and the little Lincoln did the job without even tripping the breaker. If that's all you have, then it's better than nothing. Just expect to trip the 30A breaker if you try to do anything on higher (> 125 amp) settings. The hotter the arc, the higher the current that you will need to power it. It really should have a 50 amp power source.

Charley

desertjim
06-08-2011, 07:18 PM
It will run on 30 amps and do smaller light to medium work but, if you get into something bigger on higher current settings, you can expect to trip the breaker. We used one of these on a 30 amp breaker and 250' of 10/3 ga wire to build a roof frame for a 7' square well house. The only power available there was 30 amps at 240 volts that was intended for running the well pump, and we re-purposed it temporarily. Most of the construction involved welding 1 1/2 X 1/8 angle together and the little Lincoln did the job without even tripping the breaker. If that's all you have, then it's better than nothing. Just expect to trip the 30A breaker if you try to do anything on higher (> 125 amp) settings. The hotter the arc, the higher the current that you will need to power it. It really should have a 50 amp power source.

Charley

Thanks, Charley. I did call Lincoln and they explained that it was just a matter of power; that it could run on 30a, but would not do what it would on 50a.

I do have a 50A outlet, but right now I want to do some welding at a place other than at the 50a outlet. I also have a 50a extension cord, so I have the bases covered. What I want to do right now is some lightweight stuff.

Regards,

Jim