PDA

View Full Version : Filler Neck For Speedfreak...

zapster
06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Here is what you are looking for..
I did it this AM because I am not getting out of bed tomorrow and go machine anything..
I need a rest!

Took me 30 mins in all..And no there is no die for this..
Material is 6061-T651 tubing we had laying around..

You wanted the cap to end up about 1/16" above the tank when closed according to your letter but that 'aint happening because of the way the cap itself is made..
The tabs that hold the inside piece to the cap itself get in the way and hit the "Stop"

The "Stop" as you put it would have to go in order for that to happen but I don't think 1/4" above will be any problem..

As you can see in pic #4 the tabs are against the stop but the top is sealed to the rubber gasket....

If the bottom going into the tank is too long for ya I can always just face some off to shorten it..Let me know..

Last pic is the "Print" I made so if anyone else gets in this situation.......

I get all the fun jobs..

...zap!

Boostinjdm
06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
I just want to know how you threaded it without a landing groove. Either you went towards the chuck and backed it off real quick. Or you went away from the chuck and plunged in real quick. Maybe there's another way I'm missing?

zapster
06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I just want to know how you threaded it without a landing groove. Either you went towards the chuck and backed it off real quick. Or you went away from the chuck and plunged in real quick. Maybe there's another way I'm missing?

Towards the chuck..
Back it off FAST and hit reverse all at the same time..:dizzy:

My machine has NO half nuts and once it is in the thread you want it's just forward and reverse with the lead screw...
But seeing as the reverse lever for the lead screw will not engage the gear for reverse I just use forward and reverse with the motor.
I have been doing this for 33 years now and I know my machine inside and out!

..zap!

Boostinjdm
06-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I can't bring myself to flip from forward to reverse with out letting the spindle stop...

zapster
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I can't bring myself to flip from forward to reverse with out letting the spindle stop...

I have no choice in the matter.

Little tougher when going up to a shoulder but it's no biggie...
But it don't hurt anything and the spindle speed is only 16 RPM. (For threading anyway...)

...zap!

lars66
06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I have no choice in the matter.

Little tougher when going up to a shoulder but it's no biggie...
But it don't hurt anything and the spindle speed is only 16 RPM. (For threading anyway...)

...zap!

My Monarch goes down to 13 1/2 rpm and even at that speed it looks like everything is moving 200 mph when making coarse threads.

Matt_Maguire
06-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Still exciting after all these years!

NO HALF NUT? I've had to stop & reverse when metric threading with inch lead screw and once vice versa, but all those machines had spindle brakes. Maybe you have a plugging motor?

Threading with old timey G&L boring mills was done by stopping the spindle & backing the tool off & reversing out, it took forever for acme thds... I always did that with a thread relief as it made me nervous enough single point threading in a blind hole...

Slick job!

Matt

speedfreak87
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
That is EXACTLY what I need. You are one skilled craftsman because I gave a **** description lol!

How long is the bottom, it could probably be cut down some.

zapster
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Still exciting after all these years!

NO HALF NUT? I've had to stop & reverse when metric threading with inch lead screw and once vice versa, but all those machines had spindle brakes. Maybe you have a plugging motor?
Matt

No half nut..It's a '40's era Hendy and once it is in gear it stays in gear..
Like I said the reverse lever for the lead screw wont engage so I do it with the motor..
I just hit the reverse button and do what I must..
The only thing I cant do because the lead screw wont go in reverse with the lathe going forward is left hand threads on this machine..:angry:

...zap!

zapster
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
That is EXACTLY what I need. You are one skilled craftsman because I gave a **** description lol!

How long is the bottom, it could probably be cut down some.

I'll chop it down to 1/4" as per our conversation..:drinkup:

...zap!