PDA

View Full Version : who uses 7024

BlackGT97
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
just woundering what applications someone would use 7024 on.
i know it doesnt penetrate deeply so it would be used on only non critical applications???

DSW
07-12-2011, 05:51 PM
7024 has a lot of iron powder in the flux and is a high deposition rod, so it lays down a bigger bead than say 7014 the same diameter. I've seen it used to do buildup on some applications and it does an excelent job if you need to lay large horizontal filets. I believe it used to be big in the ship building industry for welding up deck plates and so on. If you've got the settings right the slag just peals right off itself and theres almost no clean up.

It's a great rod for those learning on an AC machine. Probably the simplest and easy to use and learn on. The only down side is it only welds in the flat or horizontal position because the bead is very 'runny"

wbolden
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
The 7024 was always loved by welders just starting to weld because of the iron power content it does lay a very "pretty" bead and who dosent love to see that slag just peel up off a brand new shiney weld in the flat and horizontal positions. But try it in vertical up and down and you will have a suprise in store for you. Happy welding.

wbolden:waving:

tortis
07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
I like it because it doesn't need to be stored in an oven, just an air tight container. It works great on thin metal, and puts down a pretty bead.

pulser
07-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I agree with all the above. This is a wonderful flat position rod which can produce very smooth fluid beads on fairly thin material (3/16" maybe 1/8"), but is more applicable to thicker section welding where you can crank up the amperage and let it flow.

This is the classic "drag rod", where the thick iron powder coating on the rod allows you to drag the end of the electode along the joint, and the wire core is naturally recessed at the proper arc length within an inverted cone formed by the coating at the tip.

When dialed in properly, the heavy slag coating of this rod self lifts and peels easily off the bead as you weld. It is helpful to weld slightly uphill to assist in keeping the heavy slag behind the arc. Improper technique, such as traveling too fast, or running downhill, will result in large trapped slag pockets in the bead.

7014 is similar in operating conditions, but has less iron powder in the thinner coating, and may be more controllable for lower amperage, thin material, flat and horizontal position welds than 7024.

As a general rule, a tight arc length helps concentate the arc energy, improve penetration, and control the weld pool, so the fact that the you can lightly drag the tip of the 7014/70124 rod down the center of the joint and automatically maintain a suitable arc length make these rods easy to produce very smooth and attactive weld profiles for flat and horizontal joints.

TozziWelding
07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I love jet rod, when the wind is blowing, the feeder doesn't want to play and you need to lay down some weld, 7024 is the balls. I will run 3/16 jet rod with the old Lincoln on buckets, cutting edges, hammers, or anywhere else alot of metal needs to be laid down. My buddy used to run BIG 7024 off an old 500 amp torpedo installing bridge expansion joints. 7024 was the go to rod for speed before feeders were on every truck, and in every shop, a great rod if you can get all your joints in position. The oldtimers call it monkey wire, because a monkey can run it.

slowhand
07-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Back in the old days (about 1977) I worked for a company that built oilfield equipment and we used some 7024 5/32 rods from time to time. Mostly on the flat surfaces of h-beams. It's a 70,000 lb rod so for that it was good. For any vertical up we always used 7018. So those welds did hold like they were supposed to.

7024 runs like a charm. I swear.... you can strike an arc and lay the rod down on its own and the bead would look great. It runs thats easy.

Vertical up with 7024 was about impossible. Overhead I must say is possible because I've done it and also seen it been done, but it ain't easy by no means, nor is it a guaranteed rod in that position.

On flat mild steel it kicks ***, or at least it used to (in 1977 that is).

I haven't picked up one of them in many years so I doubt they run like they used to on our old SA200's back then, but man they would surly weld for us when we got in a place that they would work. AND THEY WERE FAST :laugh: :laugh:

About 2x as fast (or faster) than anything else we had.

Good luck man
Later

BlackGT97
07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
i loved running 7024. it runs so smooth. i did like 3 laps and 3 tees and moved on to the next rod (because the instructor wanted me to)

would you guys ever use this were you use 7018 (obvisously not vertical) on more critical joints like for anything supporting any weight

norite
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
would you guys ever use this were you use 7018 (obvisously not vertical) on more critical joints like for anything supporting any weight

I would use 7024 on any mild steel I could weld flat or horizontal and I would be confident of it's strength. It is just as strong as 7018 for mild steel. You seem to be hung up on penetration as the only factor for strength, remember 7018 is only a medium penetration rod also. 7018 is only actually needed for medium to high carbon steels although it seems to be becoming the universal welding rod these days.

welder_one
07-13-2011, 09:59 PM
last year, we rebuilt a sand barge and a sand dredge for a (you guessed it) sand company out of little rock... they supplied the rods for the job and was all 3/16 and 1/4 jet rods... they run fast, but as said before, either flat or horizontal.... a buddy carried a feeder betting that he could travel faster with .045 solid wire mig than i could running 3/16 jet rods.... fat chance! once he switched out to 1/16 fcaw, then the race was on, but i still had higher deposition with heavier weld beads (bigger toe to toe and depth of throat)

BlackGT97
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
what are some other factors for strength besides the penetration?

welder_one
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=strength+factors+in+a+weld+bead

let me get that for ya

killdozerd11
07-17-2011, 02:39 PM
We use it for replacing the moboards on scrapers always some foreman who instead of replacing the cutting edge will run it until it wears into the bolt holes and you can't put new cutting edges on anymore
morons

623's are 1/2 in thick moboards but you get to 637's and 657's your going into 3/4 and 1 inch thick butt welds

I root weld with 7018 or in the case of one guy who provided the rod 11018 then fill with 3/16 7024

I have a suitcase feeder but can do this type of work faster with the 7024 since it's all flat welding

I have never tried to vertical since it runs like water when i tried it a few times

And i have yet to have one come back with the weld broke

Though i have had them come in with the whole bottom curled up ( weld intact )

Idiots hooking up in threes and fours in hard or rocky material

Fat Bastard
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
i loved running 7024. it runs so smooth. i did like 3 laps and 3 tees and moved on to the next rod (because the instructor wanted me to)

Please define this "critical joint"?

Can 7024 be used to support weight? Sure. Can it be used in place of 7018 sure as long as the welding engineer approves it. Can you use it for your art work absolutely.

Fat Bastard
07-17-2011, 04:05 PM
what are some other factors for strength besides the penetration?

The joint configuration is the most critical factor for joint strength. Second is having welds that are perpendicular to one another.
A but joint is not as strong as a lap. (in the most simple of terms)
A lap welded only on one edge is strong in 2 of the three axis. Add a single small weld on the other edge and the holding power is many times greater.

woodweld1
07-17-2011, 06:40 PM
It still gets used a lot to plug weld roof decking.

Alphonse
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
All the posts really covered 7024 very well for you. I would like to add that It runs best on AC due to the heavy slag. I have a welding positioner, and when I get a lot of parts to run I USE 5/32"E7024 @200-215 AMPS AC and "get er done! Beautiful welds that practically clean themselves, very low spatter. It should be run hotter than the same size E6010-13 rod[ at least 20-50 amps higher] Back in the day when stick was king of production welding, E7014, E7024, E7027, E7028 was the top performers. Big diameter rods 3/16" up to 5/16" hooked up to big AC transformer welders of the 300-600 amps size! E7014 is 7024's "lil brother" in that it has less iron powder[30% E7024 has 50%] and can be used up and down hill but still a "HOT ROD" E6027-E7027, was used on flat butt welds... has deep penetration like a E6011 rod, and the production speed of E7024. E7028 is a low hydrogen code quality "hot rod"