PDA

View Full Version : chemical cleaner for metals before tiggin

chachi44089
08-01-2006, 01:32 PM
what chemical do you guys use to clean new aluminum and stainless before tiggin...a freind of mine cleaned a small engine case with brake cleaner and the fumes were horrible...I was told to use acetone...is there any other chems that are ok to use when in a pinch???

weldingman24
08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Never use any chlorinated cleaners like brakleen or electical cleaner as the heat and light of the arc break it down into hydrgen sulfide and phosgene (also known as mustard gas). 409 or simple green sprayed on a clean soft napkin works well for getting light grease and oil off. MEK work very well but its not good for you but it will take anything off.

chachi44089
08-01-2006, 01:59 PM
thanks alot...i have some simple green....chlorinated?..that smells familiar,made me almost sick.:eek: ...thanx again for the info and the warning...later

kbnit
08-01-2006, 04:35 PM
For most metals, scrub them with a stainless steel wire brush and then wipe down with acetone(first choice) or isporopyl alcohol (second choice if you don't have acetone). Weldingman's right on the money about both chlorinated solvents and MEK. Really bad for your health. With the acetone, wear rubber glove's though, or it will really dry out your skin, and can give you dermatitis.

Zap, I'm sure will let you know where and where not, to store your acetone.:blob2:

zapster
08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
suuurreee...put the pressure on me...:laugh:
store in cool place keep the lid on tight (i left a quatr open one day and went home..next day dry as a bone..:nono:

dont leave it anywhere on the welding bench..
hi freq will set it off..

...zap!

prop-doctor
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
lol zaps right. never on metal bench!!!!! but it is the best to clean before the weld and a little brushing don t hurt, it's CLEAN clean clean

Rich59
08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
I spent several years working at a plant that produced acetone and MEK. I would avoid MEK unless you have a compelling reason to use it. If so, use it in a well ventilated area.

My first choice for a cleaner is simple green or equivalent, next would be alcohol, and then acetone. The first two are relatively cheap and less likely to cause problems than acetone or MEK.

Sober_Pollock
08-01-2006, 09:15 PM
You haven't lived until you've been in a room about thirty foot square while two guys MOP the floor with MEK. Makes the whole rest of the day go by much smoother:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

Rojodiablo
08-02-2006, 12:37 AM
You haven't lived until you've been in a room about thirty foot square while two guys MOP the floor with MEK. Makes the whole rest of the day go by much smoother:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:
You were in the Navy, too??? I personally use acetone or laquer thinner. NONE OF THIS STUFF IS GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Protect yourself- use gloves,avoid the fumes, use ventilation if indoors. Let it evaporate well before you weld... Wash your hands if you have it on you. Wash them well.