PDA

View Full Version : Any traveling pipeliners on here?

Weldin to live
09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Looking for some advice from some of you pipeliners on how to get into pipeline welding, whats needed (i.e. certs) things of that nature

Weldin to live
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Anybody?

Larrysmachine
09-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Try this site, it is dedicated for rig welders.
www.rigwelder.com

bgroves
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Same here I would like to get into pipeline work in the future. I heard its a long hard process but I'm looking forward to it. I think your first step would be to move here to oklahoma, not sure if there is much pipeline companies in kentucky. But I've been wrong before.

blackpowder
09-26-2011, 06:36 AM
My son started working for a company that laid the pipe in the ditch after welding. One of the welders took him under his wing and got him welding pipeline. Any spare time they were running rod to see what was what and where. My son got his own welder to practice with then wouldn't you know got a job running graders clear on the other side of the state. He still welds, still wants to get his certs, and is still practicing. Lots of the welders are willing to help you out if yu are willing to ask, but you have to be able to listen.

slowhand
09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I got my start in pipeline around 1977. I had been welding for a company that did work for the oil field, which sometimes included laying steel well-lines. Those were non-xray pipelines (mostly drag pipe) that only had to hold well head pressure and not leak, and not pull apart when the dozer took off dragging as long of strings as he could pull. If your welds leaked, or you took too long to make them, or they pulled apart, then you didn't stay for more than a couple days at best. To be able to do this job in a professional manner did take some degree of welding experience and skill (to say the least) which I guess I had by then. ( :laugh: :laugh: ) That wasn't that bad a place to start out I can say because there was rewards from all that hard work. And it did teach me a lot in the process.

After that one day I found myself welding on a non-union xray mainline job for a major gas company (making it of course) and the job went union overnight and I was offered a union book. I took it of course. Yea there were a few years of hard times like when you start out anywhere but after nearly 35 years you do get somewhere in it. I've had some good times and I've also been on some good jobs.

Non-union jobs does most-times take someone that you know that puts in the word and helps you get out there. Other than that I don't know what to say. I guess some have gotten lucky and didn't have anyone to help them get on, but once on its up to what you did for them if they want you back on the next job or not. Maybe even to say until tomorrow. :laugh: You can find that out pretty quick sometimes withing the first hour of being out there. :laugh: :laugh: If you can't do it that is pretty hard to hide. :laugh:

My union does take non-book welders but I think its harder to get in now than it was a couple years ago. Back then we was in an organizing effort, which we still are, but I think it might be a little harder to get in. I don't know. But if you ain't a real pipeline welder then I can probably bet its real hard to get in. Once in then its up to the economy as to how much you work, and if you can pass welding tests or not of course. And if you can last until that all happens without working non-union. :)

Besides all that....... I guess just find someone to help you get your start, or hire out helping a pipeline welder. You may not like that idea - but it is the very best way I can offer to get started. lol

Good luck