PDA

View Full Version : Another Trailer.....Let the Flaming begin!!

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Started building one of these last week, starting on the tractor first. Had to remove the bed and the hoist cylinders, and now we are modifying the decks and ladders then will cut the bed pivot points off to start installing the hitch assembly. This will be the third one of these I have put together, this one will have about 350 ton capacity. Just for comparison, that's a D-10 sitting on there! Using a CAT 777 for the tractor.

d110pickup
10-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Please post photos, that looks like a helluva project!

Details man Details!

Mike

Stick-man
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Well, a couple of things you really need to be sure about.

1. I hope you at least have engineered drawings to follow. You can get them at Northern tool.

2. I hope you don't plan on using your 110V mig welder on this. OR some chicom crap. This will need at least a buzz box with 1/8" 7018 or a Miller 211.

3. You REALLY need to step back and evaluate your skills. After all, that school bus tour thru the mine wouldn't end well should that D10 fall off and roll into the bus full of school kids.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Post alot of pics!!!

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Well, a couple of things you really need to be sure about.

1. I hope you at least have engineered drawings to follow. You can get them at Northern tool.

2. I hope you don't plan on using your 110V mig welder on this. OR some chicom crap. This will need at least a buzz box with 1/8" 7018 or a Miller 211.

3. You REALLY need to step back and evaluate your skills. After all, that school bus tour thru the mine wouldn't end well should that D10 fall off and roll into the bus full of school kids.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Post alot of pics!!!

Will take all the above into consideration. I was thinking of making my own buzzbox cause I can't afford to buy one, figured I would use an old transformer and a half a drum of oil. After I learn on this little project maybe I will even enroll in an online welding class so I can get "certified". I found some rod in the dumpster, can anyone tell me if it's OK to use, it's about 1/8" diameter and still has some flux coating on it?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here's some pics of the tractor and a little bushing rack I through together the other day, the blue box next to the rack is my Keen oven, it'll hold bout a ton and a half of rod.

kburd
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
wow just wow! this is some seriously heavy work and you got the tools at your disposal to do it! I would love to do some stuff in a place like that. The only thing that would piss me off would be stading on a solid platform with rails and still having to tether off to the machine. that just looks annoying.

Matt_Maguire
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Nothing like having a few spare haul trucks just laying around??? You gotta be sh**ting me!

Good looking work, how far are you moving things?

Matt

Rick V
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi there ExpatWelder...
I'm always interested to see your small Mickey Mouse projects :D - you are so artisitic in your creative endeavours.
As Stick-man suggested, you might want to consider stepping up to an 80 amp Harbor Freight welder for this project - even though it may stretch your budget some. :(
Lucky you found some rod in the dumpster, that should save you some real $. :)
OK to use? You bet! Flux coating (when you can find it) is fantastic stuff, and aged outdoors is ideal rod for an outdoors project; you don't want to use interior rod for an job that will be exposed to the outside elements. :nono:

Always Remember - 'Safety First' is important to keep in mind.
Good luck with your little project and remember, we're all here to help you and provide expert advice! :laugh:

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
wow just wow! this is some seriously heavy work and you got the tools at your disposal to do it! I would love to do some stuff in a place like that. The only thing that would piss me off would be stading on a solid platform with rails and still having to tether off to the machine. that just looks annoying.

Just yesterday we had an ISO/OHSAS--(kinda like MSHA) inspection and when they came to where the guys were working on this thing, one of them was tied off but had his lanyard wrapped around his neck???? Anyway, I got a call and had some serious explaining to do, then the hide stripping began---****e rolls downhill

CosmicRambler
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
There are definitely some Freedom issues there.

Those guys are snapped off like on dog chains, not just one, all of them. Restricting Freedom of Movement like that could be a serious charge. Just wait until the safety inspector shows up.

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Nothing like having a few spare haul trucks just laying around??? You gotta be sh**ting me!

Good looking work, how far are you moving things?

Matt

This triple 7 was purchased specifically for this project. I was originally going to use a 793 but started doing a little research and it would have been the only 793 on the continent so I decided to use a 777. This one has about 35000 hrs on it but is in pretty good shape and I can get spares for it cause there's a bunch of them in Africa.

The longest haul will be about 15 kilometers and the largest load will be a 785 haul truck. All of the haul trucks will get a hitch attachment on the front that will interface with the fifth wheel hitch on the tractor so the trailer won't be needed to move a truck. Sounds confusing now, but I will post more pics as we progress and you'll see what I'm talking about.------I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi there ExpatWelder...
I'm always interested to see your small Mickey Mouse projects :D - you are so artisitic in your creative endeavours.
As Stick-man suggested, you might want to consider stepping up to an 80 amp Harbor Freight welder for this project - even though it may stretch your budget some. :(
Lucky you found some rod in the dumpster, that should save you some real $. :)
OK to use? You bet! Flux coating (when you can find it) is fantastic stuff, and aged outdoors is ideal rod for an outdoors project; you don't want to use interior rod for an job that will be exposed to the outside elements. :nono:

Always Remember - 'Safety First' is important to keep in mind.
Good luck with your little project and remember, we're all here to help you and provide expert advice! :laugh:

I figure that since my 80 amp welder that is supposed to run on 115 volts, should put out 160 amps when I plug it into 230 volts so I should be fine. Thanks for the advice on the rod, can't wait to start burning some, when I get this little project done, maybe I can try something bigger, gotta start somewhere.

soutthpaw
10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Seriously though, what diameter rod do you generally use on that stuff? 1/4"?

prop-doctor
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM
.. KOOL TONKA TOYS..
takes me back to ''79-81'' working at P&M coal mines near Gallop,NM
loved the work hated the nasty black dust

ThorsHammer
10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
You get all the fun toys.

Black Wolf
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Let the flaming begin.... Yeah...Right. :laugh:

I look forward to pics of your progress

ThorsHammer
10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Let the flaming begin.... Yeah...Right. :laugh:

I look forward to pics of your progress

X2:drinkup:

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Seriously though, what diameter rod do you generally use on that stuff? 1/4"?

We use a lot of .068" NR-232 and a lot of ESAB 7100 Ultra, .045----and a lot of 5mm ESAB 7018--not sure what 5mm is in inches, but it's not quarter inch....It kinda depends on the location, weather and specific job as to which filler material gets used and how big it is.

Hardware
10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
5mm = 0.19685039 inches.

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
5mm = 0.19685039 inches.

so it's .0281496" shy of quarter inch

roadkillbobb
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
ok I dont see the HF 110volt welder for this project..................

prop-doctor
10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
he is building his own "buzz box" from scrap
look in the second set of pics you will see the orange cords used for the leads
must be behind the welding screen [ he can't give away his homemade welder for fear of copyright

denrep
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm wondering about the coupler. :confused:

Is the coupler an in-house design?
Will the same joint handle both pitch and yaw?
Is it a detachable coupling, or semi-permanent?

Thanks for the pics, Expat.

Good Luck

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Look at the front of the trailer, when It is un coupled from the truck the front sits on the ground and has ramps that you drive up. If you're not using the trailer, the fifth wheel assembly slides forward closer to the front of the truck and the hootis that couples to the trailer then couples directly to the front of another truck, lifts the fornt off the ground and off you go. It does rotate.

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
...."hootis" IS a word.........I made it up, so i know its a word

ExpatWelder
10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Here's a little better pic of what it will look like

bert the welder
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
you don't want to use interior rod for an job that will be exposed to the outside elements. :nono:

ROTFLMAO!!!! This needs to be on a t-shirt!!!!!!:drinkup:

Bistineau
10-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Now just build a BBQ pit/Smoker on it and you can feed the whole crew. That's when the Flaming begins. Throw on 7 or 8 sides of elephant and 4 or 5 dozen ostriches and kick back with a few kegs til it's done:drinkup: Every company needs to have a company cookout every now and then.

DemonSpeeder
10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I think you need to build a welding table first, with all kidding aside.... this is awesome. I love seeing projects like this, one of the reasons why I joined this site.

wd40prerunner
10-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Wow that's going to be a huge projects can't waiter see your progress.

farmshop
10-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Maybe should consider a hf flux core unit to speed things up.

kustomizingkid
10-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Now that is a project!!!

I think you have the greatest job there is... sometimes hahahaha

tanglediver
10-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Just yesterday we had an ISO/OHSAS--(kinda like MSHA) inspection and when they came to where the guys were working on this thing, one of them was tied off but had his lanyard wrapped around his neck???? Anyway, I got a call and had some serious explaining to do, then the hide stripping began---****e rolls downhill

I put it around my neck so I wouldn't forget where it was...:dizzy: ... sheeesh!

ThorsHammer
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
5mm = 0.19685039 inches.

so it's .0281496" shy of quarter inch

close enough that it doesn't mater to 3/16" without breaking it down to 32nds and 64ths.

wintermute
10-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Expat, think you could send me four wheels from that tractor? I wanna put them on my Jeep CJ 4x4 project :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:D Seriusly, can't wait to see the in-progress pics of this job...do you ever work on anything small? :D

--Wintermute

bert the welder
10-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe with the off-cut left overs you can make a welding cart to out Gucci all of us!!!!!

wbolden
10-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Thats the MOTHER of all projects have fun!

wbolden

allfluxedup
10-08-2011, 06:30 PM
w_o_w

RancherBill
10-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Did I see some bed frames in post #4 pic #1?

OOPs, my mistake carry on!

RancherBill
10-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Did I see some bed frames in post #4 pic #1?

OOPs, my mistake carry on!

ExpatWelder
10-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Expat, think you could send me four wheels from that tractor? I wanna put them on my Jeep CJ 4x4 project :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:D Seriusly, can't wait to see the in-progress pics of this job...do you ever work on anything small? :D

--Wintermute

Just the tires are 24,000.00 each, then there's the wheels-------then shipping...........not real cost effective

As far as working on small stuff...........somtimes I get to TIG up a hydraulic pipe or somthing similar, I really like the little stuff occasionally. Tomorrow we are starting a little line-boring job on an excavator, just 2 ten inch holes that are about 18 inches deep and 6 foot apart, I look forward to those little jobs too.

DSW
10-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Just the tires are 24,000.00 each, then there's the wheels-------then shipping...........not real cost effective

As far as working on small stuff...........somtimes I get to TIG up a hydraulic pipe or somthing similar, I really like the little stuff occasionally. Tomorrow we are starting a little line-boring job on an excavator, just 2 ten inch holes that are about 18 inches deep and 6 foot apart, I look forward to those little jobs too.

Add to that the fact each wheel / rim empty weighs more than his CJ does. :laugh:

I hear you on the cost of the tires. We got a steal on a set of 75% good tires for our 988. Mechanic we knew pulled them off a used pan his company bought and wanted to install the same tires they had on all the other ones. I was floored at what that set new ran at the time. Explained why ours were nearly bald. I think the new tires alone cost more than we paid for the 988 used.

ExpatWelder
10-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Add to that the fact each wheel / rim empty weighs more than his CJ does. :laugh:

I hear you on the cost of the tires. We got a steal on a set of 75% good tires for our 988. Mechanic we knew pulled them off a used pan his company bought and wanted to install the same tires they had on all the other ones. I was floored at what that set new ran at the time. Explained why ours were nearly bald. I think the new tires alone cost more than we paid for the 988 used.

Tires and fuel are the biggest expenditures in mining.

d110pickup
10-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Expat,
Any new photos of this beast?
Mike

sixxgeeee
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM
i build a 400 ton haul truck! that makes this thing look small!

ThorsHammer
10-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

ExpatWelder
10-17-2011, 05:17 AM

I can haul your 400 ton truck with this!

ExpatWelder
10-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Expat,
Any new photos of this beast?
Mike

Not yet....soon

Rbeckett
10-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Gotta love the stuff that is big enough to see and adjust with a sledge. Thats a great idea and a way cool project to get to do. Like everybody else said pics as you go please. Im sure they will be awesome,
Bob

sixxgeeee
10-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Pics or it didn't happen.
im not aloud to take pictures but their are alot on google images look up the 282b and 282c

kolot
10-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Flame, Flame! You Suck! you can't build that, northern does not have that drawing! You should be ashamed of yourself, and how will you ever turn that around in a Subway parking lot.

This is why people Weld, to boldly go where no man has gone before. This is and awesome project but I have to ask. Everyone is in full coveralls and even some with safety vests, What is the average Temperature there, Faranheit please? And will you fab all the pieces on site or will they be made elsewhere and brought in for final assembly?

ThorsHammer
10-17-2011, 02:07 PM
im not aloud to take pictures but their are alot on google images look up the 282b and 282c

"yeah, my girlfriend's a model."
"No I don't have any pictures of us together, but heres a magazine clipping that I got of her. Don't worry about tha guy with her, her publisist made her go with him because of the project they're working on."

I repeat, Pics or it didn't happen.

farmshop
10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
So did you use a 2" ball or overkill with a 2 and5/16 . Being it is a single axle probably no brakes. And a small single axle trailer you dont need safety chains

Rodl
10-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Hootis: Is that something like a hoodingee. Did you have to special order those fancy Orange welding leads for your shop built buzz box, or did you find them next to the welding rod in the dumpster.

ExpatWelder
10-18-2011, 02:54 AM
Hootis: Is that something like a hoodingee. Did you have to special order those fancy Orange welding leads for your shop built buzz box, or did you find them next to the welding rod in the dumpster.

I did find the leads in the dumpster, but they were under the rods, they are 3 wire, I just twisted all 3 together and hoped for the best, so far works great, they are probably equivalent to about number 3 or 4 and I'm only using about one hundred feet and 150 amp max, they get a littlle warm but no visible meltage yet!:D

Rick V
10-18-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm jealous ExpatWelder, your dumpster is way better than mine! :cry:

Stick-man
10-18-2011, 11:42 PM
"yeah, my girlfriend's a model."
"No I don't have any pictures of us together, but heres a magazine clipping that I got of her. Don't worry about tha guy with her, her publisist made her go with him because of the project they're working on."

I repeat, Pics or it didn't happen.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ThorsHammer
11-21-2011, 02:49 PM
when are we going to get some updated photos?

ExpatWelder
11-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Here's a few update pics, it's been ssllooowww. All the pieces should arrive here in the next month or so and then it will take about 5 weeks to assemble everything, do the testing and training and start using it.

kustomizingkid
11-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Wow.... that is some metal.

app-ironworksllc
11-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't think that's going to be big enough.

Might want to add some gussets here and there.:D

ScoobTEQ
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
What an awesome build! Any updates?

Dualie
12-12-2011, 11:18 PM
hey you think i can swing by and borrow that when its done, i have a project car i need to move.

That should definately do the job

ExpatWelder
12-13-2011, 12:56 AM
hey you think i can swing by and borrow that when its done, i have a project car i need to move.

That should definately do the job

Not a problem............the 4000 miles of water between us may present a problem though

Dualie
12-13-2011, 01:31 AM
my kenworths got some legs, i think if i hit the water running i can make it.

now that i think about it its a better task for the dually, its got a bit better top end.

is that a hyd detach setup for removing the neck? i LOVE to see that in action.

ExpatWelder
12-13-2011, 03:48 AM
my kenworths got some legs, i think if i hit the water running i can make it.

now that i think about it its a better task for the dually, its got a bit better top end.

is that a hyd detach setup for removing the neck? i LOVE to see that in action.

look at the right side of pic #1, you will see a round shaft on the end of the neck, This shaft sits in the cradle you see on top of the 5th wheel. The cylinders move the hitch assembly forward and backwards, all the way forward if you are hooked directly to a truck, and all the way back when you are hooked to the trailer.

DSW
12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Well now that you have your new Dynasty 350, you should be able to finish tigging this up in no time! :laugh:

ExpatWelder
12-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Well now that you have your new Dynasty 350, you should be able to finish tigging this up in no time! :laugh:

The only filler I have at the moment is 035 hard wire----would be a SSLLOOOOWWW process!

37ford4dr
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
i cant imagine welding something that big....is it even possible to burn through it?

ExpatWelder
12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Flame, Flame! You Suck! you can't build that, northern does not have that drawing! You should be ashamed of yourself, and how will you ever turn that around in a Subway parking lot.

This is why people Weld, to boldly go where no man has gone before. This is and awesome project but I have to ask. Everyone is in full coveralls and even some with safety vests, What is the average Temperature there, Faranheit please? And will you fab all the pieces on site or will they be made elsewhere and brought in for final assembly?

Sorry I did not respond to this forever ago, I did not see it. The temperature here is pretty much always FUKIN HOT----90-100 F and 90-100% humidity------you CAN'T get used to this climate, but the lads seem to dig it, when it gets down in to the high eighties, they are wearing coats!

Some will be pre-fabbed and shipped over, most will be on site.

ExpatWelder
02-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Got er put together, you guys think it's big enough to safely haul this forklift?

smaclennan
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Got er put together, you guys think it's big enough to safely haul this forklift?

I think if you move the forklift all the way to the back to keep the weight off the tongue, you should be good :D

Lanse
02-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Holy crap.

Nice job!! :D

DemonSpeeder
02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I bet one of those wheel/tires weighs more than that fork lift?? So yeah I think you can handle it but you still need fenders though...

How about some video action ??

Stick-man
02-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't go over any scales if I were you! And DOT will also nail you for no trailer mud flaps!!!

Looks awesome, Expat. :drinkup: Keep the pics coming, it's been a little slow around here for the WOW factor. But Galen's been taking up the slack for you!!!:)

farmshop
02-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Might need a wide load banner also.

RancherBill
02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't know the right term, but, WTF is the 'rated' capacity of that thing with dual dualies on the front and duals on the back?

200,000#?

Dualie
02-13-2012, 01:05 AM
I want to know how you got that little forklift ON that trailer. Those things are a pain in the rear to load on my Murray i know it had to be a stone cold female dog to try and drive up there.

ExpatWelder
02-13-2012, 04:41 AM
I don't know the right term, but, WTF is the 'rated' capacity of that thing with dual dualies on the front and duals on the back?

200,000#?

Close.........rated capacity is 240,000 pounds......but........400,000 is no problem

ExpatWelder
02-13-2012, 04:43 AM
I want to know how you got that little forklift ON that trailer. Those things are a pain in the rear to load on my Murray i know it had to be a stone cold female dog to try and drive up there.

Took 2 hours of fiddle fukin around to get the forktruck on it, only takes 20 seconds to load a D10. I could have done a 360 on one ramp with the forklift.

killdozerd11
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
I suppose you could have put two forklifts in a 994 bucket and then loaded them all at once

Nice work bye the way

backpurge
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow that thing is huge. Would the trailer pictured (post # 25) happened to manufactured by a little outfit in Belgrade, Montana named Tow Haul. Seen their shop when I was there and they made mine moving equipment similar to the one pictured. Good luck on your project(s).

Dualie
02-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Took 2 hours of fiddle fukin around to get the forktruck on it, only takes 20 seconds to load a D10. I could have done a 360 on one ramp with the forklift.

I figured you would have just loaded it with the overhead crane. I knew what a pita it was to get any of those little lifts on mine. with the neck broke down and in the low load position its 8"s of the ground. I know yours has to be MUCH taller than that.

so if you could check the air in the tires i will head over there next Friday to borrow it for the weekend

dbotos
02-14-2012, 12:27 AM
And DOT will also nail you for no trailer mud flaps!!!

It needs a giant pair of these:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/registries/32015d1188015711-splash-guard-registry-back-off.jpg

blumoon
02-14-2012, 01:11 AM
WOW is right......you get to play with some very cool stuff::)...I would love to drive it . I drive trucks for a living, and have operated some big off road stuff, but that would be way coo:cool2:l. love the pics.......

dumb as a stump
02-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Here's a little better pic of what it will look like

It don't look that big till you put the pigmys into the side view picture in post 25.:laugh:

BD1
02-14-2012, 08:49 AM
That was welded with a HARBOR FREIGHT 110 Volt welder ?????? :laugh::laugh:

Stick-man
02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
It needs a giant pair of these:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/registries/32015d1188015711-splash-guard-registry-back-off.jpg

That was welded with a HARBOR FREIGHT 110 Volt welder ?????? :laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Old Doug
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I was at a coal mine at Macon MO they hade a rig like this. They hauld a D11 on it side ways so they did not have to remove neck. The trailer was saging on the side they loaded it on. They backed cat on and took of didnt tie it down.Looked like a giant acident wating to happen. I dont know how fast it was but the driver wasnt afrade of it.Scard me just to see it. It was fun to watch from a safe distons.

ExpatWelder
02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Wow that thing is huge. Would the trailer pictured (post # 25) happened to manufactured by a little outfit in Belgrade, Montana named Tow Haul. Seen their shop when I was there and they made mine moving equipment similar to the one pictured. Good luck on your project(s).

10-4.........thanks