PDA

View Full Version : What useful tool have you built for your shop?

Bob Warner
08-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Hello all, I showed a few of the things I have made in another thread. I am curious what others have made for use in their shop.

It seems that almost everyone builds three basic things:
1. Welding table
2. Welding cart
3. A trailer of some sort

I want to see the OTHER stuff. The stuff you built and use as tools.

In my case I built a treadle hammer which is kinda unusual and my hydraulic press that is also a little unusual compared to what others have in their shops. I have built anodizers for coloring titanium, electro-etch machine for etching my name in the blades and a light box for creating stencils for the logo I etch into the blades, propane and coal forges.
These were built to support my addiction to knifemaking.

I have seen a few ring rollers which I want to build one of these days.

What tools have you built to support your addiction to performing some type of work? What have you built that helps you build something else?

I am bound to need to build some new tools, I just don't know that I need them yet. I need you guys to show me what I am missing.

How about posting some pictures if you have them or at least explain what you built.

Thanks,

Bob

zapster
08-26-2006, 10:05 AM
we dont "per say" build anything special for the shop but we will modify most anything if need be..
i needed a 3 jaw chuck that ran dead nuts and had to be able to hold a really thin aluminum tube without slipping and you cant make it egg shaped by squashing it too much to hold it while putting an angle on the I.D.

so i took some 8" tubing and cut sections out of it on the band saw and welded them to a set of "soft jaws" ...
remachined them after welding and heres what i came up with..

and the worked just wonderfully!!

heres a home made steady rest for a lathe that did'nt come with one..

we'll stop at nothing!! :laugh:

...zap!

Bob Warner
08-26-2006, 10:12 AM
That is exactly what I am talking about. I love this type of thing.

The three jaw chuck is nice.

I knew a guy that mig welded the edges of augars with hard rod to extend their lifespan. I built him a variable speed setup to power his chuck. He mounted the augars in the chuck, set up his mig and turned it on. He had a long bar running the length of the augar and could rest his hand on it. He just followed the edge as the augar slowly turned for him to put a new edge on it.

He made pretty good cash doing this and the machine took a lot of the work out of it.

Makes a heck of a picket twister also.

Great job, looking forward to seeing more things like this.

Bob

dichdoc
08-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Here a some pics I had laying around still. A shop chair, a "tool" that makes life alittle easier I find I use it alot at the drill press when making lots of holes. It's a donated Lund boat seat some scrap 2x4 tube and 2x2 that two pieces of unistrut (welded together with 1/2" washers as spacers) slide perfectly in and a nut welded to the 2x2 and a bent 3/8" bolt that threads into a nut and then into the unistrut nut for adjustment. Also a pic of the affore mentioned ring roller that I have posted before. Does a ghetto bending setup count as a tool? It's a Northen pipe Bender with some bolt on mods to bend angle the hard way. Large machine/welding shop in town said they couldn't do it so this was my only hope and it worked very well.

Bob Warner
08-26-2006, 11:13 AM
The shop chair is great. I should build one since my left leg is (and always will be) screwed up from a motorcycle accident (Damn Hit & Run drivers). I need to sit a lot more when I work, that is a good idea. I need a seat like that for my lawn mower.

The ring roller looks great, not over complicated like many I have seen but definately capable of doing the trick. What are the rollers made of? Is the drive roller modified in any way to prevent slipping?

The angle bender is escaping me. From the picture I am not sure what I am looking at. Can you elaborate?

I love it when the "Professionals" can't do things and "WE" can figure out how to do them in our home shops. Makes you want to take your stuff back and show it to them.

Great work.

gnewby
08-26-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't have the photos handy but I have built a press for in my shop, but the thing I built that I use the most probably is a cherry picker (engine hoist). It sure saves on the old back and I use it often for lifting the front of my riding mower for changing sharpening blades etc. Also used it when lifting my work bench.

It was fun to build, I bought the hydraulic lift for it from Harbor freight and the wheels for it from Northern. I think money wise I had about $75.00 in it. The pipe I used to make it was used 2 3/8 & used 2 7/8 tubing.

I also made a load leveler for it after seeing one at a tool sale, went and bought a couple small pieces of channel and a 24" piece of all thread and put it together it works good. Have used it with the cherry picker to pull and install engines and transmissions. load and unload heavy stuff from the garage into or out of the pickup.

I have also used the t-bone fashon for making a plasma cutter cart and made one for my plasma cutter it works great.

dichdoc
08-26-2006, 11:58 AM
The rollers are 1" cold rolled steel they are not treated in anyway to prevent slipping. I wish I would have used bigger stock (stronger) but I was impaitent and the only pillow blocks I could find locally were 1".

The angle bender (that was a bad pic) was needed to bend 1.5x 1x5x 3/16" angle for my snow plow (the piece that rotates back and forth). In the previous pic there is a piece of square tube screwed onto the bender frame for a spacer and the two pieces of square with holes in them that the factory pins slide through. I used a factory die (1" pipe I think) on the jack cut notched the angle with a chop saw put the angle in the unit and pounded a scrap wood 2x6 in opposite the metal space and bent! I'll post some more pics to make it more confusing! IN the 3 tries pic my attempts are from top to bottom the first was without any releif cuts the second they are space too far apart all along the angle and the third and keeper they were about 1" apart just in the middle, I bent it and welded the spaces shut and ground them smooth you can see the piece in place in the new plow set up pic its the piece with white grease on it. Everything black on the plow was new.

awright
08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Bob, is your electro-etcher a basic high current, low voltage transformer with tungsten etching tip in a manual etching pen or something more technologically exotic? I use the manual pen for tool identification, but the result, while effective in identification, looks crappy with lots of spark and burn marks. I also get lots of stick-slip action that makes it hard to control the appearance of the mark. If you are marking the knives you sell, I presume you are getting better looking results than I am. How do you do it?

I have seen ads for an etcher that uses an electrochemical process with a stencil and an electrolyte. Does anyone know what their process is? Anybody have a homebrew version?

Zap, that's a neat looking tube chuck. I've had good luck minimizing tube distortion using a Bison six-jaw lathe chuch to get more uniform clamping force around the tube.

awright

zapster
08-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Zap, that's a neat looking tube chuck. I've had good luck minimizing tube distortion using a Bison six-jaw lathe chuch to get more uniform clamping force around the tube.

awright

Yeah we have a few 6 jaws also..

still no good for that job..:nono:
i had to turn the jaws pretty much the same size as the rings so it would clamp around the tube nice nice..
turn them too big..only the middles touch..
so whats the point of makin'em?
too small and the outside edges touch (X3)
that wont cut it either..
no marking of the O.D. of anykind allowed...
so it worked out good..

me no scared...:nono:

...zap!

Bob Warner
08-26-2006, 03:19 PM
You want a homebrew version of the electromechanical version with stencil and electrolyte?

Lets see if I can help with this request.

Go here to see the plans with radio shack part numbers to build the electro-etcher for about $50 if you buy all new stuff.
http://www.warnerknives.com/electro-etcher.htm

Go here to learn how the process works, where to get electrolyte and stencil "Resist" material and instructions on how to build a light box to make your own stencils. This is exposure unit (light box) is a big buck item that costs a fortune to buy. But one I figured out the process I built the box for next to nothing.

http://www.warnerknives.com/stencil_exposure_unit.htm

I don't have a closeup of the mark but here is a knife with my logo (my last name) on the blade. They come out really nice and crisp. Excuse the poor quality photo.

http://www.warnerknives.com/images/thuya1.jpg

Enjoy,

Bob

Bob Warner
08-26-2006, 03:35 PM
gnewby.

Now the angle bender makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up.

Bob

kevey
08-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I haven't made anything really cool, just useful to me. I made this jig from 2x4 and 10' sticks of conduit to space and center balusters on the top rail for welding railing. I just find the center of my toprail, and align it with the center mark on my jig and clamp everything up and go.

I have the conduit marked for 4 inch and 6 inch intervals...the 6 inch is for a log bed railing I'm trying to build. The 4 inch is for railings that I am planning to build for my patio.

TubularFab
08-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Right now the most usefull is the rotary draw bender I built. It uses a hydraulic ram pulling on leaf chain to rotate the spindle. It'll bend up to 2" OD x .125 wall tubing.

http://teampanoz.com/bender/DSCN0021b.jpg

http://teampanoz.com/bender/DSCN0038.JPG

http://teampanoz.com/bender/DSCN072.jpg

justweldit41
08-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Thats pretty sharp, I built an hosfeld lookalike and love it. What do you do for return on the the machine do you turn it back by hand, i couldn't tell if it returns back to zero or not. But defiantly some fine designing and quality of workmanship.

justweldit41

zapster
08-26-2006, 11:19 PM
i want one!!!:cry:

...zap!

dichdoc
08-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Panozeng, I'm confused, where do you pound in the 2x6 for fine tuning the fit??? I feel like such a scab! TB

Bob Warner
08-27-2006, 12:02 AM
That bender is great. Bet it took a while to get it all figured out. You should have made plans for that thing (if you didn't). I know I would build one if I had the need to bend a lot of pipe. A little to pricy to build just for the "COOL" factor.

Great job, I am impressed.

awright
08-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Beautiful tube bender! And nifty idea for the linear/rotary conversion. But where do you get the rotary die? That's the hard part.

awright

Joeejoee
08-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Brake built for hyd. shop press with open center to bend 90's.

Joe

Joe H
08-27-2006, 08:31 PM
I wish my camera would work right, I've been having troubles downloading for a few weeks...

I didn't build it, but my dad built us a furnace for casting brass, aluminum, etc.. He built it from a Dave Gingery book. It came out very nicely. He doesn't use it much anymore, but he used to make alot of artsy stuff like sundials and weathervanes with it. Lately I've been wanting to dig it out and play with it, still have all the mold forms and a 50gal bucket of sand.

admswelding
08-27-2006, 11:32 PM
This is my lifting boom/jib i built out of pipe i have picked up close to 1000lbs. with it but i would not try anything heavier than that.

Diverbill45
08-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Bob, ................ I built this, at the end of last summer, with the help of my 12 year old grandson. I've started to teach him to weld, so I let him do most of the welding. I use it to weld pipe and tubing with my wire-feed and TIG setup. My son is an electrician so he did all the wiring and supplied the components. It has a foot control for controlling the revolutions and also has a forward and reverse. I have a total of $70.00 invested. With whats in the control panel and all the other bearings, lathe chuck and other items to put this together, if I were to purchase all these items new, it would come to around $800.00.

It comes in handy when beveling pipe and making oil tanks for a friend of mine that builds choppers.

Diverbill45
08-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Here's another little item that REALLY comes in handy. I made it up to hold tubing in place so that both your hands are free.

I build mini-sandrail frames and every so often you need to fit a piece in place and hold it until you're ready to tack it.

It's made out of 2 pieces of angle, 2 pieces of flatbar, a couple of pieces of althread and 2 pieces of flatbar that were cut into an arc. It can be adjusted to any angle you want.

This clamp has been a real time saver.

Bob Warner
08-28-2006, 08:47 AM
The chuck setup is very similar to what I built for a guy to weld hard edges on augars. Very nice.

The clamp is a great idea. I may need to build one myself someday.

Great work.

sc6chuck9
08-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey Bob, thanks very much for putting this in here as I'm semi retired and love to make things, I just have trouble thinking of what to make,,,,,this will help me come up with ideas i think

Bob Warner
08-31-2006, 03:57 PM
No problem sc6chuck9,

To be honest I am looking for ideas also. I am rehabbing from an injury and am looking for ideas myself.

In addition I am just facinated by the creativity of others and hope my ideas inspire them as well.

WHughes
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Great design on the tube bender. Definately beats my old bender hands down. The design anyways. Your dies are similar to my Baleigh dies. Did you make them, or have them machined. And if you had them made, can I ask how much they stuck you for? We just paid 1300 for a 8 and 12 inch diameter 1" square dies.
Bill

TubularFab
08-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Yep - they are definitely similar to Balieigh / RMD dies since that is who I bought them from. I designed the spindle to accept the RMD dies because I found them to be well designed and well made. I also designed it so I could adapt the cheaper JD2 & pro tools dies, but they aren't as user friendly. I got to work with Chris Rusch (the owner and engineer behind RMD) on monster garage a year and a half ago, and found his stuff to be really nice.

Oh, and for the earlier question about the return on this machine. I originally planned to use a cable and pulleys do pull it back with the ram, but didn't leave enough room on the spindle to add the sheave for the cable. So, underneath the machine I added a pulley with a section of flat belt attached that pulls on a large spring. Kind of an ugly patch, b ut gets the job done...

I do not have much in the way of plans for the bender; pretty much designed it as I built it.

fun4now.
09-05-2006, 12:54 PM
i cant beleave no one gave you the finger......wait that didnt come out right. showed you the finger, still not much better.LOL any way its a simple little helping had for holding stuff. its been around for ever and a lot of you will likely have one or more but some of the new guys will greatly benifit from it. it will realy help out. i just built my first one last night woth my own twist on the design, so i could ajust the amount of wait on it at the tip by moving my large magnet up or down the back bone of it.. i also included a few others design's, one is from tigdepos welding class and is the most standerd design another is one made by one of the guys on the miller askandy board. i have been planing to make one of these for ever just always forget when im in the shop. it will realy come in handy when TIGing aluminum and SS as you cant use a magnet to hold it to tack it.
the 1st pic is my finger no wait, 2nd is my finger with wait, 3rd is my finger in use to show others how it works, 4th istigdepo's finger, 5th is the one from askandy, he used larger stock to build it so did not think a wait was needed.
some times the simpelest things can be the biggest help.:)

fun4now.
09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
grest post by the way looking forward to coppying some of the stuff in her, with a lil twist to make it suit me ofcorse. 8^))

Bob Warner
09-05-2006, 03:04 PM
It is funny you brought up the "Finger." Just yesterday I painted one I have had for years. Never thought of posting the picture. I use it all the time.

fun4now, when you make some of this stuff, we want to see the twists you add to them. That way we can copy them back.

fun4now.
09-06-2006, 03:24 AM
no problem, i just gota find the time. oh and the gas i just started playing with my new TIG and wow that sucker eats up the gas like a big block with a blower on a 1/4 mile track.:eek: great fun but i gota upgrade my tank from an 80 to atleast a 125, a 155 would be better. atleast i have the MIG as a back up, not as much fun but it just sips the gas:p i got a hole list of stuff i gota or wana build. hoping to get some $$ up for some matereal to build a bunc of carts so i can seperate every thing as i have them all stacked onto the all terane cart i made for the MIG 5 years ago befor i got the plasma or the TIG. gets the job done but its time to give them there own space.
didnt you post about wanting to get into TIG?? its great fun, i defenetly recomend it, verry relaxing, kinda zen-like. if ya look into inverters the TA is a great buy for the $$, dyn200DX would be my first pick but the TA-185 gets 2nd spot, oh and a ride on the top of my cart.8^))

dichdoc
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I just finished this this weekend, its a 4x48 belt grinder I salvaged the motor, the steel was all scrap from the shop and I spent $18.00 on bearings and misc.

Joe H
09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't understand what you are talking about when you say your TIG sucks the gas...??????????

I use like 12CFH with mild steel, I don't mig weld, but I doubt you could go much lower.

fun4now
09-06-2006, 05:40 PM
maybe a beter way to put it is it sucks up the gas when lerning and doing multiple little welds, compared to MIG. this can be even more the case with a TIG unit that has a preset post flow. my post flow is ajustable but as a roule you should have 1 second of post flow for every 10 amps used wile welding and with SS you should realy run a bit more. so for even a small 2 second tack weld at 70 amps you would still use 9 seconds of gas for TIG as aposed to the 2 seconds of gas flow needed for MIG. i have a gas saver lense from CK on my torch and run at about 12-15 qfph and have gone threw an 80 cuft tank in far less use than i would have with MIG.i am going to upgrade to a larger tank when i refill some time this week or next as i am almost out.
some of the TIG welders have a preset non-ajustable post flow of 10 or more seconds and this can eat up some gas quickly. the torches that you need to manualy turn on and off the gas can be even werse still.the new Miller syncrowave is self ajusting post flow witch is nice and can save you some gas as well. TIG just uses up a lot of gas in comparisin to MIG, so if you are used to MIG switching the TIG could catch you off guard. it should also be figured into the expense of a TIG weld VS a MIG weld and offten is if you have some one do it for you. the $$ per HR of running TIG is higher than that of MIG and the inches per HR is also les for TIG than for MIG all thease factors lend to the TIG repair being more expensive than a comprible repair done it MIG.

well that got a little windy but i hope my point is clearer now.:)

fun4now
09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
how did i go from a WeldingWeb Journeyman with 88 post back to a sodere with 5 ??????

Bob Warner
09-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Fun4now,

Did you make several bad welds and someone saw them?

fun4now
09-06-2006, 06:02 PM
.LOL no it seems to have me listed 2 times once under my old e-mail and once under my ne e-mail. i tryed to change my e-mail in the old fun4now to the new fun4now's e-mail but it tells me it is already in use, so some how i have 2 fun4now's one from befor i changed e-mail and one from after but i dont know how to fix it???? and i will not get an e-mail notification when some one post behind me if it gets sent to my old e-mail.:realmad: and i dont know how to fix it or to log in under the new fun4now???

zapster
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
.LOL no it seems to have me listed 2 times once under my old e-mail and once under my ne e-mail. i tryed to change my e-mail in the old fun4now to the new fun4now's e-mail but it tells me it is already in use, so some how i have 2 fun4now's one from befor i changed e-mail and one from after but i dont know how to fix it???? and i will not get an e-mail notification when some one post behind me if it gets sent to my old e-mail.:realmad: and i dont know how to fix it or to log in under the new fun4now???

send a private message to Bob@WDF :)

...zap!

fun4now
09-07-2006, 07:38 AM
how do i do that, they dissabled the members list????

LuzRD
09-07-2006, 01:15 PM
how do i do that, they dissabled the members list????

go up to the "news from weldingdesign.com" section, you can easily find posts or threads by "BOB at WDF" click his name and choose send "private message"

fun4now.
09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
all is good now. :cool2:
just had to e-mail a few of my aluminum TIG weld pic's and he fixed it right up for me.:laugh:

R W
02-05-2007, 04:25 AM
For the shop, have built a work bench, grinder stands, engine hoist,20 ton press, steady rest, jack stands, special spanners and pullers.
Have also built, a trailer, sawbench, 3PTL jib,boom spray,post hole digger, wire spinner, steel post driver and several gates.
Building a gantry at present.

R W

Wannabe
02-05-2007, 06:20 AM
I built this tubing bender:

http://i5.pbase.com/o6/84/503584/1/73328424.yHTI8z7C.IMG_7431Large.JPG

I really like the vertical design as I don't have to fight gravity when making a second bend in the same plane as the first. With it I have built things like this:

http://i5.pbase.com/g6/84/503584/2/73353451.RhUAQMmT.jpg

Mike

fun4now.
02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
wannabe
did you make the die or buy it?? how about some better pic's. benders are a big subject here. mainly due to the expense of them i would suspect. i have always wanted one but the price starts out bad and just keeps getting worse as you add the needed die's :(
so like many i suspect i have put it on hold due to $$$
is your die a 1/2 circle ?

awright
02-05-2007, 02:27 PM
VERY nice job on that bender, Wannabe. More info would be welcome, especially on the die source/fab.

awright

katana1150
02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I got to work with Chris Rusch (the owner and engineer behind RMD) on monster garage a year and a half ago, and found his stuff to be really nice.

You were on Monster Garage!!!! very cool! what was the project that you worked on?

And I gotta ask but what is Jesse like to work with? Is he as good as the producers make him out to be?

I watch Monster garage when ever I can but my all time favorite was a show on TLC a number of years ago called "Junkyard Wars" now that was entertainment, very similar to what we do in the sawmills, when something breaks and don't have a part then we march out to the boneyard and find something close that will work and bodge it back together.

12,000 Doors
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
So far I made a custom crane that can lift my five hundred pound Bobcat, fit through the 27"x82" door, roll out through the gravel to the truck without getting stuck, then extend and lift my welder onto the truck. Also I made an awning tube bender out of a dead band saw. I made a welding table out of the twisted wreckage of a fallen down fire escape that can either hold my vise or a big hinged flap of steel that converts it to a brake. I made a rolling toolbox out of a 1950's steel kitchen drawer cabinet. I made a saw stand/tig stool that was originaly a Orange County Chopper bicycle front fork that I welded a car rim to (I can plug either a bike seat or a "T" bar into it). I enclosed my harbor freight trailer with wood framing and skinned it with fiberglass from my kid's 3'x12' pool. I made a tank cart out of a hand truck. And I built a custom removable steel rack for my F-150 that comes apart in five sections with six pins.

gimpyrobb
02-06-2007, 05:40 PM
12,000Doors, I would like to see some pics. All of that sounds very cool!

Bob Warner
02-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Me to, please.

fun4now.
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
yep, give up the pic's man. you cant just tease us like that!!! wheres the beef!!!!!!:p

Patriot Performance
02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
So far I made a custom crane that can lift my five hundred pound Bobcat, fit through the 27"x82" door, roll out through the gravel to the truck without getting stuck, then extend and lift my welder onto the truck.

I like the crane Idea. Do you have any pictures for us.

I need to make something similar. Like an engine hoist but able to lift higher and go on rough terrain.

12,000 Doors
02-07-2007, 07:47 PM
12,000Doors, I would like to see some pics. All of that sounds very cool!

I promise I'll go take some pictures this weekend and figure out how to post them. I have a digital camera, I just have to get my twelve year old to teach me how to use it. That and I need batteries.

EBFARMER
02-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I built these jigs to clamp up ninty degree angles for welding. I wanted one of those nice Bessy corner clamps but I made these work arounds instead. When used with a couple of c-clamps, they work really well to clamp up a corner or to butt one piece up against another at a 90 degree angle.

http://usera.imagecave.com/EBFARMER/welding/020707-2.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/EBFARMER/welding/020707-3.jpg

This is the welding cart I built. It was one of the first projects I built after getting my welder. I need to build a dedicated cart and get the welder off this one and out of the dust and dirt one of these days.

http://usera.imagecave.com/EBFARMER/welding/020707-4.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/EBFARMER/welding/020707-6.jpg

dstaley
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
You guys sure have some inspirational projects!

I think this was my first project when I bought my first welder (a Lincoln AC225). I bought this little 6" Atlas lathe from a friend and rebuilt it, and it needed a way for the motor to be mounted so I just drew up a frame design with CAD, tweaked it a little bit, then went to work.

(click the thumbnails to see the full picture)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Tools/th_lathe3.jpg (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Tools/lathe3.jpg) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Tools/th_lathe2.jpg (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Tools/lathe2.jpg) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Tools/th_lathe1.jpg (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/78LT383/Tools/lathe1.jpg)

I had access to my dad's MillerMatic 250 until I moved here (400 miles away from him) 10 years ago after graduating from college. This lathe (and the stand) has served me well for my small projects for about 5 years now. As you can see, I built it so that it can be disassembled but it's plenty rigid for this size lathe. The bolt-in crossbar on the bottom screws into 1" thick bar stock inserts I welded in, and the flanges are 3/16" bar stock so it's stronger than it looks. It also has leveling feet (similarly anchored) and a pivot on the back for the el-cheapo light.

I just bought a Bridgeport milling machine, so next I want to make a fixture to use a Foredom tool as a lightweight tool post grinder for this little lathe. That is, unless I manage to upgrade to a nice South Bend 9" or 10" lathe first...

Grahame
02-11-2007, 04:13 AM
Because my wife does not want to be a welder's helper gal, I have had to find a way of holding bits and pieces I need to be held at the right angle and alignment.

I came up with a variation of an idea I have seen the wood carvers use.
it is basically a 50mm tow ball trapped between a fixed ring and a floating ring.The floating ring is gapped to allow the passage of the ball shank.

The fixed ring is tapped to accept three 8mm socket cap head bolts.It is welded to a C channel which is tapped at its base for a 12mm thread which can be locked up via a lever. This allows a full 360 degree horizontal rotation.

I have tacked all thread to the ball shank which allows me to rapidlybfit different attachments such as a face plate and a fixture to weld propellers.

Grahame
02-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Here's a few more piccies showing the detail

fun4now.
02-11-2007, 08:02 AM
looks interesting, how about a shot from a lil ferther out to give us a good over all pic of it.
thanks

Grahame
02-11-2007, 08:21 AM
This is the closest I have got.

It shows the base plate fitted

Grahame

12,000 Doors
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I promised I'd figure out how to post pictures. I'll start with ones of todays project. I'm enclosing my $200.00 harbor frieght 4'x8' trailer using my kids pool so I can take stuff to the dump with it.
frame:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/000_0003.jpg
skin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/000_0004-1.jpg
No diving:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/000_0005.jpg
More to come.

Wannabe
02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Several people asked about the tubing bender so I thought I would add some more information. I purchased the plans for $18 from www.gottrikes.com The guy is a custom bicycle builder, and he developed his bender for making custom frames. Several folks approached him about a heavier duty model for making off-road buggy frames, bumpers, etc and that is the set of plans I purchased.

If you go to his website, you can find many photo's of the bender in action, and some popular mods that people have made (full-hydro, etc). The bender uses Pro-Tools 105 style dies, which range from $125 for 1/2" tube, up to $245 for a 2" die. I went with a 1.5" 240 degree die (prices above are for 180 degrees - I paid $245 for mine). http://www.pro-tools.com/105tdies.htm

The developer states that his bender is good up to .120" wall tubing, but several people on Pirate have stated that they have bent .250" wall with it. Here is a thread dedicated to this bender over on Pirate4x4.com:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376183

I hope this helps answer some of your questions,

Mike

12,000 Doors
02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I've been wanting to figure out how to post pictures for a while. I wanted to post on the thread on our shops;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3078.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3068.jpg
our rigs;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3020.jpg
and of our welding tables;
I made this table out of 3/8"x12" twisted plate I got from a fallen down fire escape. The vertical piece in the back is something that goes on the front edge when I have the hinged flap bolted onto the front edge so I can use the table as a brake;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3044.jpg
And heres a picture of the crane I built to get my 500 lb.Bobcat out the door and onto the truck. Once I get it out the door I unscrew a pin from the boom extend it and put the pin back in. That's a $30.00 harbor freight winch powered by a old ambulance battery from my day job.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3041.jpg Speaking of the ambulance plant here's a picture of the metal shop(rescue line on the left, ambulance on the right).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3102.jpg
I also wanted to post some pictures of some of the side projects I've done, like the OCC bike I customized for my daughter-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/100_3019_00.jpg
and the pedal powered helicopter I built for Red Bull Flugtag NYC 2003.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Freedomist/000_0009.jpg
Sorry, I couldn't get a picture of the bender I built out of a band saw. I needed the motor and so I took it apart. It was a temporary POS anyway with rollers made out of hand truck wheels, I just needed it once to build helicopter props.

justweldit41
02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Heres a rolling table i built last week. I'ts made the same heighth as the shear. I made it so that it could be folded upright to get thru doorways.
Also when folded down It has rollers on it to slide the steal around on it.
Then that worked so well that the sheets of steal would shoot right off into the floor. So next came the chocks that are made like a cam you pull the handle upward and it lifts the plate off of the rollers, then down and its on the rollers and the ground if not careful. Theres a pedal on the bottom that when the table is upright its locked in and when you want to lay the plate back down hole the framework and push in on the pedal to release the latch and let it down. Hope you like.

Derek

justweldit41
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Here's the 2nd set of pics.

justweldit41
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Here's the 3rd set of pics.

justweldit41
02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
The last set of pics.

Weldordie
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
To: 12,000 Doors,

I'm concerned that you are using a small winch that was designed for pulling rolling loads as a lift for your Bobcat. Suggest you make sure you are out of the fall/tip area when using it.

Sandy
02-11-2007, 10:09 PM
That sheet table is nice. No more gouging the floors, walls and shins flipping the sheets around !!

Newfie_1986
02-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I built a saw mill I didnt exactly build it for my shop I built it to build my shop lol. I built it in my brothers garage and have plans to use it to cut some lumber to build a garage of my own in the future...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/darryl_86/

Look in the 2006/09/09 album for the pictures. It cuts pretty precise lumber,
If you look close at the pic of the 2x4 you will see a wave in the begining of the cut (blade was loose on the mill). I have managed to cut clap board with the mill as well it does quite a nice job (pics in the album).

It was my first welding project, I plan to build an excavator for my next project once I get better at welding (I have gotten a lot better since the sawmill build).

12,000 Doors
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
To: 12,000 Doors,

I'm concerned that you are using a small winch that was designed for pulling rolling loads as a lift for your Bobcat. Suggest you make sure you are out of the fall/tip area when using it.

Your absolutely right that's a 2000 lb lateral boat winch. I've also seen it listed as being able to lift 440lb with a single cable and 880 doubled up with a pulley. I have to use it doubled up and I also had to cut half the cable out of it because the weight made the cable on top of the spool dig toward the bottom and jam up. The tip hazzard is anouther issue that your right again I should address and I plan to. I tipped it once when I was lifting my aluminum welder on the truck and I tried to pull the truck back a little more and accidentally bumped it. A couple swinging arm stabilizers should do the trick I figure. I'm not too worried about the winch giving out though. I only lift 530 lbs. and it can lift 880. It's a handy little unit. If it can lift something, it does and if it can't it doesn't. I've never seen it do anything in between.

Weldordie
02-12-2007, 02:49 AM
I built a saw mill I didnt exactly build it for my shop I built it to build my shop lol. I built it in my brothers garage and have plans to use it to cut some lumber to build a garage of my own in the future...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/darryl_86/

Look in the 2006/09/09 album for the pictures. It cuts pretty precise lumber,
If you look close at the pic of the 2x4 you will see a wave in the begining of the cut (blade was loose on the mill). I have managed to cut clap board with the mill as well it does quite a nice job (pics in the album).

It was my first welding project, I plan to build an excavator for my next project once I get better at welding (I have gotten a lot better since the sawmill build).

Hey, Newfie,

But... but... but... you can't just forge right into welding up a large project like your sawmill, and, surely, you can't build an excavator without first building an obligatory welding table, or cart for your welder. It's just not fair.

Seriously, you, obviously, have a knack for building functional devices. I'm really envious. Good job! I can't seem to get a grip on how your mill works. Do you have any photos of it in action? Does it have an automatic feed, or do you push the logs through?

Weldordie

Bob Warner
02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

Mitch Kelly
02-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Car ramps, run-out stands for the mitre saw / drill press, tubing clamps, mitre clamp, ersatz vice to hold stuff in place on the welding table (also home-made).

Work benches.

Guards and covers for various bits of kit that didn't have them or I felt could do with better ones. Rip fence and mitre gauge for a "site saw" that lacked them when I inherited it.

Belt sander and disk sander.

And best of all.......

A variety of one-off bespoke spanners to reach fittings on water pipes in my house that otherwise can't be accessed. I wasted more time trying to figure out how the plumber put them in than I did making the tools to get at them!

M

Newfie_1986
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey Weldordie

The log sits on the track and is clamped in and the cutting head moves back and forth along the track, the boat winch is the height adjustment. It is all manual the cutting head is moved by hand.

Here is a video of a factory built Hudson Bandmill it will give you an idea of how mine works. The Hudson would have cost me $4000 Canadian I built my mill for $1200. The Hudson is also riddled with problems (track flexing cause wavy cuts and many other issues).

fun4now.
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
allways good to save $$ and get it right the first time:D

Weldordie
02-15-2007, 01:37 AM
First tool was a motorized hacksaw with an auto-stop, which, after over 30 years, still cuts at 90º. In the last few years I've built a blast cabinet, spray paint cabinet, drill press stand, car engine stand, torque wrench extender, and added a jack shaft to my drill press.

The paint cabinet is 29" x 29" x 42", cost me $20, and hangs on a pulley attached to a rafter. I've got limited floor space in what once was an attached garage, so had to move up into the overhead. The $20 went to a local tinner, who contrived the filter holder attachment on the back of the cardboard appliance box that I found in an alley. To use the cabinet I just lower it onto the top of my table saw, and hook it up to the exhaust duct.

Weldordie
02-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Also, I built a 7' sheet metal brake. I'd post photos, but most of my stuff is not pretty, like others have produced. I've, always, considered that function in job one (and, having suffered with ADD all my life, I often lose interest, once a project tool is built), so few things get paint.

moyersmobile
02-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Weldordie I agree with you on function, wish you'd show that hacksaw, thats one project I'd love to try.

Weldordie
02-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Weldordie I agree with you on function, wish you'd show that hacksaw, thats one project I'd love to try.

I'll blow some dust off of it and get photos, today.

Jim Stabe
02-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Just finished my ring roller. First project was the handwheel, very round but a little side to side wobble. You can't see or feel it unless you spin it fast with no load. I have dies for 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1", plus flat dies for barstock or square tubing. I'm going to make 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" also. Its amazing how easily and quickly it bends. This afternoon I made a 13" diameter ring out of 1" .062 wall. I need some practice making the joint look good, not ready to make steering wheels just yet.

Jim

Weldordie
02-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Just finished my ring roller. First project was the handwheel, very round but a little side to side wobble. You can't see or feel it unless you spin it fast with no load. I have dies for 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1", plus flat dies for barstock or square tubing. I'm going to make 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" also. Its amazing how easily and quickly it bends. This afternoon I made a 13" diameter ring out of 1" .062 wall. I need some practice making the joint look good, not ready to make steering wheels just yet.

Jim

Nice job. Can I have it? I'll pay shipping. :)

Weldordie
02-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Here are a few pics of the saw. Sorry about the quality of sharpness, but the camera's battery won't hold a charge for more than 3 photos, so I think that may be the problem.

moyersmobile
02-19-2007, 03:34 AM
no sorry needed, I could see it very well. Very cool saw ! Thanks for the pics !

spiral-cut-bevel
03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I thought I would help keep this thread going: Yesterday I decided to make a versatile wire wheel stand. I've worked with some interesting shapes of metal and of course it's always posed a challenge to wire wheel them with a bench grinder. Typically the bench grinder shroud gets in the way, or the fixed axes of the machine limits the angle at which you can lay a piece of material into the wheel. As a solution I built a wire wheel stand that has a movable mount. It's a pretty simple design; it allows the user to move the axes of the wire wheel from an almost vertical angle to below horizontal. Check it out....
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/406839858_d2b12ea800.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/406839869_e499f1e8a6.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/406839873_505fcff181.jpg?v=0

imagineer
03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Excellent idea Graham! A solution like that will help me out a great deal on some current projects. Would you mind listing the spec's for the motor you used? It looks like a motor off a direct drive table saw or circular saw?

spiral-cut-bevel
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Excellent idea Graham! A solution like that will help me out a great deal on some current projects. Would you mind listing the spec's for the motor you used? It looks like a motor off a direct drive table saw or circular saw?

Very good...I'm impressed, just from the picture you guessed correctly. Yes it is a motor of a direct drive table saw. I believe it is a 1/2 horse. With the use of my mechanical tach I found that the motor rotates at 4000 RPM. The motor has a built in gear box....I'm not sure of the ratio but I could figure it out tomorrow. P.S. there are no specs on the motor itself...I'll check out the table I scavenged it from :laugh:

Washman
03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Fun4now,

Did you make several bad welds and someone saw them?

LMAO ......Dang Bob givem Hell

Washman

Bob Warner
12-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Ok people, we need to feed this thread with more ideas. We can expand to useful items like tables if need be, just keep posting your great ideas.

Burnit
12-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I made this table, The top is 1" plate, blanchard ground. I love this table.
Its really really flat, and during the summer its nice and cold! lol

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/PortPirate/weldbench2.jpg

fun4now.
12-16-2007, 05:36 PM
wow!! top shelf...:p pun intended.:)

jtrapper
12-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Nice, and a place for your legs to go. That blanchard ground feature is pretty sweet. Awesome little table!

Dvill
12-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Here is my mess of garage. Notice the nice gantry crane and the large floor fan both a freebie from work just needed new belt. Some where under that mess is a burden carrier I am rebuilding. I will post picks of before and after maybe this spring when I clean the place up and get back to work on it. Well the welding cart I made because why buy one when you can build it!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/dvill_da/112507003.jpg

Burnit
12-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Dvill your my hero, I want a crane in my garage. I never thought of thought of that. we got some at work out in the weeds.

People stop by and ask if I can fix this or that. If I had a crane in there I could just say. "Hey buddy, I got a friggen crane in my garage, dont worry about it"
Haha!

wello
12-18-2007, 03:21 AM
nothing fancy just very handy
a few squares I maded for marking RHS over 4mm that have a big radius corner the 45 squares are left and right hand

another square I made for use with a pipe bender

a circle cutting attachment for my oxy

wello
12-18-2007, 03:28 AM
again nothing fancy just makes the job easyer

a jig for cutting gate pockets in truck side rails with oxy wheels

a table for laying out my scroll work

wizard69
12-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Here are a few pics of the saw. Sorry about the quality of sharpness, but the camera's battery won't hold a charge for more than 3 photos, so I think that may be the problem.

That is one nice saw. Having had similar ideas in my mind I have questions to ask.

Was it built from plans or simply a one off deal?

The slide assembly that holds the blade, is it running steel to steel on the handle or is there some sort of bearing material there?

I've actually in the last few days found several designs on line for motorized hack saws. Your looks just as good as any of them.

Dave

Weldordie
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
That is one nice saw. Having had similar ideas in my mind I have questions to ask.

Was it built from plans or simply a one off deal?

The slide assembly that holds the blade, is it running steel to steel on the handle or is there some sort of bearing material there?

I've actually in the last few days found several designs on line for motorized hack saws. Your looks just as good as any of them.

Dave

I built my saw from plans that I found in a February 1976 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine. If you would like a copy from my library, just send me a private message with your e-mail address, and I'll zip it to you at the speed of a mouse click.

The slider runs steel to steel, with oil applied from time to time.
Dave

tanglediver
12-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I haven't been here that long, but I needed some ramps sturdy enough for any RV imaginable, so...
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/tanglediver/Sunrisecomingup.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/tanglediver/Needsrubberskidgrips.jpg
I also like making super-duty ball mounts for the fork lift.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/tanglediver/Rootpassonballmount.jpg
Not very complicated stuff, just way overbuilt for strength! :)

Weldordie
12-18-2007, 11:51 PM
I haven't been here that long, but I needed some ramps sturdy enough for any RV imaginable, so...

Hey, tanglediver,

It may be just an illusion, but I'm wondering if the angle of the ramps is a bit steep. Also, what did you use for the floor of ramps? Thanks.

Bob Warner
12-19-2007, 12:57 AM
With nearly 15,000 views I can say that home built shop tools is a topic everyone is interested in. We have seen a lot of good stuff so far but I bet there is a lot more out there to see. Come on, get out those cameras and get some pictures posted. No matter how large or small, lets see what you got.

Overall shop photos are welcome also, I look at the stuff in the background for ideas on storage and other stuff.

We are on a roll, lets keep it going.

I don't have a picture but I took a six foot piece of 1-1/2 inch angle iron and drilled holes every inch on one side. I mounted it on the wall and put screwdrivers in the holes. You can see them all and get the best one for your job at hand. Simple, cheap and works well.

Josh705
12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Looks great guys! As soon as I get my welder I will be makeing some stuff. First would be a workbench/ cart set up.

tanglediver
12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey, tanglediver,

It may be just an illusion, but I'm wondering if the angle of the ramps is a bit steep. Also, what did you use for the floor of ramps? Thanks.
No illusion here, they are steep! I used 12" C channel.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/tanglediver/12x44inchramp.jpg
The ramp segment is 24", the landing is 20".
You know, I really like that motorized hack saw!! That took me by surprise. :)

Weldordie
12-20-2007, 01:48 AM
No illusion here, they are steep! I used 12" C channel.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/tanglediver/12x44inchramp.jpg
The ramp segment is 24", the landing is 20".
You know, I really like that motorized hack saw!! That took me by surprise. :)

The mats underneath keep the ramps from sliding? Until I saw your ramps, I never considered using ramps to raise my RV. Thanks for posting.

I hope that's not blood on the floor.

tanglediver
12-21-2007, 12:38 AM
That's oil on the table top!! I replaced the rubber floor mats with strips of rubber mud flaps screwed underneath with flat head screws.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/tanglediver/Rubbergripsminusfenderwashers.jpg
I took the fenderwashers off because they made the screw heads stick out too far.

offrdfun73
12-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Bob your knifes rock. What do you use to etch your damascus style blades I have been told muratic. Also do you or have you sold knifes in Branson Mo.?

Bob Warner
12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
offrdfun73,

Thanks for the kind words about my knives.

Etching my Damascus is done with 1 part Ferric Chloride (Fc) and three parts distilled water. I etch for about 1 minute then wash the blade and then re-etch until I like what I see. Ferric Chloride it the Circuit Board etchant sold by Radio Shack. You really only need to buy it once because the more you use it the stronger it gets. It is not acid.

I have made and sold hundreds of knives so one may have ended up in Branson. I personally have not gone to Branson and sold any.

Once again, thanks for the kind word.