PDA

View Full Version : SA 200 Question.

pipeliner2006
08-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I use a SA 200 Lincoln gas burner on pipelines and the machine is probably an early 70`s the amature housing behind the face is the square type.I was told that it is not an all copper winding but aluminum.I was told by an old welder that has been welding since 1960 that the machine I use is an all copper wind.Would anyone believe that an early 70`s SA 200 Lincoln some came aluminum wind?

Thanks for the answer.

Steve.

GRB
08-30-2006, 11:22 AM
was told by lincoln that most all are 80% copper and 20% alum. an early 70's should have a round generator. they increased the alum % in 82 but because of complaints went back down.

pipeliner2006
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks GRB.

The outside where the cup goes to protect the brushes is round.The amature behind the face [i.e.the big part]is square though.Never heard of one being 80% cooper 20% aluminum.The leads hook up behind the machine under the hood.Some leads hook up to connectors on the face of the machine.The machine came painted Red from the factory it has a F-163 4 cyl engine [gas].SA 200 Lincoln.

Thank`s for your reply.

Steve.

GRB
08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
sounds like a later 70's model, early 70's have the lead connections on the face as well as round. does it have a pc board on it? you running 200 amp brushes in it or 300's

pipeliner2006
08-31-2006, 11:42 AM
sounds like a later 70's model, early 70's have the lead connections on the face as well as round. does it have a pc board on it? you running 200 amp brushes in it or 300's

Yes GRB it has a PC Board.It has the 200 amp brushes.

Thanks Steve.

GRB
08-31-2006, 06:19 PM
sometime when you get a chance put 300 amp brushes in the upper right and lower left brush racks, they'll fit right in. just bought another red face today, about a 65 model has the two piece front, in good shape, all I can tell is it needs field coils and cleaned up so far.

pipeliner2006
09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
sometime when you get a chance put 300 amp brushes in the upper right and lower left brush racks, they'll fit right in. just bought another red face today, about a 65 model has the two piece front, in good shape, all I can tell is it needs field coils and cleaned up so far.

Me and a friend about 3 months ago bought a SA 200 from a ex-pipeline welder mounted on a trailer for $1200.00.The machine was painted gray and when we went to sanding it under the gray it was red and it seems to have come from the factory red.Like I say the leads hook up in the rear under the hood.It welds very splendidly.

We also bought a 84 chevrolet 3/4 ton long bed truck with a good 454 engine and a turbo 400 automatic for $600.00.We traded the trailer the welding machine came on for a 1976 chevrolet one ton dually with a welding bed on it but the truck does not run as of yet.We cut the welding bed down to a shorty low profile bed and mounted it on the single wheel 3/4 ton 84 chevy truck.We cut a square hole in the bed behind the cab and set the welding machine down in the hole so the machine sets low below the cab.It has a sliding back glass in it so checking the oil ect on the welding machine is no problem.

We built a two oxygen bottle rack right behind the welding machine so the bottles slide in in a horizontal position.We added a 8" scheduel 40 x 1'ft bbq grill.We painted the truck candy apple red as the machine.The welding machine also came with 50'ft of stinger and 50'ft of ground.I put a Lincoln T-300 Stinger on the welding whip and built a pipeline crows foot ground so the ground sets on the pipe and which is insulated except where it grounds in the bevel.

We have about $3500.00 dollars in the truck and have made in about a month almost $7000.00 with it just tinkering.Just finished about 7600 ft of 3" pipeline here in north central Louisiana.Coming up is 9000 ft of 6" pipeline in east Texas.

Plenty of work here in Louisiana and East Texas just getting in on it is a little hard because much of it is union work.A pipeline is starting up this fall here which is over a 170 miles of 42" going from Carthage TX across Louisiana to the Mississippi line.

I love them old SA 200 Lincolns.15 years ago I had a 1958 modle that would stack 3/16ths rods like a beauty.Wish I would have kept it.

Thanks for your replies.

Steven.

JTMcC
09-01-2006, 09:21 PM
If it's a 70's model with squared off generator it's got aluminum in it, that's common knowledge.
The little round generator housings had to be replaced with the squared off version because the aluminum takes up more space and wouldn't physically fit in the old case.
But, if you were tickled to death with the way your machine welded before you found out it had aluminum in it you should still be tickled to death afterwards.
The best downhill pipe welds I've ever laid eyes on have been made by pipeliners with aluminum in them, those machines still weld extreemly well, maybe not as smooth and mellow as an older one, but still extreemly nice.

JTMcC.

BobC
09-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Would anyone believe that an early 70`s SA 200 Lincoln some came aluminum wind?
Steve.

Lincoln went to Aluminum stator windings in 1970. I have it written down at work, but I think code numbers 7044 and earlier were copper. That changed with the Classic series machines, those were made with all copper.

I had heard the same story as JTMcC. Aluminum does not conduct as well as copper, so larger windings were required, hence the stator iron was redesigned to make room for them.

To the best of my knowledge, the armatures were always 100% copper wound.

The machine was painted gray and when we went to sanding it under the gray it was red and it seems to have come from the factory red.

Lincoln used to use a nasty looking cinnamon-red colored primer under the gray finish. I used to work on Lincoln's assembly lines, and I think some of my old tools still have some of that paint on them. :laugh:

pipeliner2006
09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Thank you guys.The machine I weld with most probably Aluminum winding with the square amature.I am going to look at one that needs a radiator repair for $500.00 it has an all round amature with the lead hook ups on the face.

Nevertheless the machine I weld with is smooth and welds 100% B31.3 Welds all day.I love the old lincolns period.

I let you know of my find for $500.00

Steve.

pipeliner2006
09-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I bought a SA 200 Amp lincoln saturday.The machine has the round amature and the leads hook up on the face.The plug in the face I was told is a reastat plug but I think it must be where you would plug in an extention cord but the plug is a turn and lock plug after its plugged in.

The machine has been setting up for a few years and it got water in a couple of cylinders and it was locked up.I pulled the head and freed it up and cleaned the cylinders and got it to running but it smoked like a tar-pitt.

It needs a new radiator and water pump.I am removing the engine and will get it bored and new pistons rings ect.The machine welded very good.You can put a welding rod in its stinger and prop the stinger up on a piece of plate and it welds by it self where the other machine I have been running does not.

I believe it is worth rebuilding the machine and I see no need to go into the amature.A new rebuilt engine and radiator and water pump and a good paint job should put the machine to work.

Thank you guys.

Steve.

GRB
09-06-2006, 12:35 PM
there a shop in Mo. that says he sells a complete rebuild kit for 415.00, includes pistons, valve train, kit to rebuild the oil pump, all the gaskets..etc.. and all. I have'nt bought from him yet but thats a good price and will shorlty

pipeliner2006
09-17-2006, 10:35 AM
there a shop in Mo. that says he sells a complete rebuild kit for 415.00, includes pistons, valve train, kit to rebuild the oil pump, all the gaskets..etc.. and all. I have'nt bought from him yet but thats a good price and will shorlty

Hey GRB could you give me the info on how to contact the man in MO?The prices are very high here in Louisiana to get a rebuild kit for a SA-200 F-163 Engine.

We took a engine off an old short hood machine that did not weld and put on the machine I bought for $500.00.The machine I have now is no doubt all copper windings the leads hook up on the face and the amature is round.Wish it had a PC Board but will up-date it after I make a few pay checks with it.Me and a friend is going to be running 3" and 4" pipelines and well-hook ups ect.

The old short hood engine does not smoke but has some blow by coming out of the vent tube off the valve cover.

The old engine has a few oil leaks also but keep it full of oil and weld with it in a month or two may just buy a new machine???

Thanks a bunch.

Steve.

tompit9
09-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Any one have a Starter for 55-56 shorthood lincoln sa200 they would like to sell? thanks tommy

GRB
09-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Grandstaff Engines Inc.
Independence, Mo.
800-896-7676
ask for Rick

Tom did you try the man in Ill. about the starter? 618-566-4733

GRB
09-19-2006, 10:09 PM
BOBC, I'm restoring a 48 shorthood, has that blasted red lookin epoxy type primer, is there an easy way to remove the stuff???

pipeliner2006
09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Tompit9 I have a starter for your short hood Lincoln.I robbed the engine off the machine to work on a 1965 Lincoln SA-200 Amp so I used the starter that came off the 1965 Long hood.I make $50.00 an hour with the Long hood{i.e.oil field work/pipelines ect} and it does not use oil just leaks the crap out of it.Man it is high to get a SA-200 Engine re-done.

Also I have a friend`s dad that has a short hood Lincoln for sale on a trailer but needs a tune-up but welds like a dream.

If interested contact me at {318-377-1088}.If no answer leave a message and I will get back in touch.Working about 70 hours a week.

Thank`s a bunch.

Steve miller.

BobC
09-20-2006, 10:21 PM
BOBC, I'm restoring a 48 shorthood, has that blasted red lookin epoxy type primer, is there an easy way to remove the stuff???

I don't recall ever needing to remove the stuff at the factory. If there were serious flaws in the paint, I thought they just sanded down the damaged parts and repainted them.

shorthood2006
10-01-2006, 09:42 PM
i have been buying several lincoln sa 200 welders for parts.if i can be of any help,let me know...i also have been buying running sa 200's for resale...email me @ darinfisher2003@yahoo.com

banshee35
10-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Tompit9 I have a starter for your short hood Lincoln.I robbed the engine off the machine to work on a 1965 Lincoln SA-200 Amp so I used the starter that came off the 1965 Long hood.I make $50.00 an hour with the Long hood{i.e.oil field work/pipelines ect} and it does not use oil just leaks the crap out of it.Man it is high to get a SA-200 Engine re-done.

Also I have a friend`s dad that has a short hood Lincoln for sale on a trailer but needs a tune-up but welds like a dream.

If interested contact me at {318-377-1088}.If no answer leave a message and I will get back in touch.Working about 70 hours a week.

Thank`s a bunch.

Steve miller.
How much is your friends dad askin for the shorthood? I'm in cotton valley and i see you have a minden number so we'er close to each other. Let me know something....:)

pipeliner2006
10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
How much is your friends dad askin for the shorthood? I'm in cotton valley and i see you have a minden number so we'er close to each other. Let me know something....:)

Hey banshee35 from cotton valley.I could not resist so I bought the old sa-200 short hood I gave $500.00 plus a 22 rifle in exchange for it on a trailer.Am doing a valve job on it but other than that it welds like a dream.

Do you know of anyone hiring pipeline rig welders here local?My last job was on some tie inns in ringold and a well hook-up in dubach for S&F Oil Field Construction out of Choudrant La for Travis Staggs whom I find impossible to work for.Also have been working off and on for Barnette & Benefield out of haynesville La good guys to work for off and on but its more off than on if you know what I mean.Just ran 8000 feet of 3" in haynesville also.

I have a cousin that lives in Carthage TX and has been a pipeliner for 28 years that says contractors are begging for rig welders there and around but I really do not want to cross the line for work in Texas right now.Had another offer to go on a 20" line in south texas near houston for Smith Equipment for 3 or 4 months out of Carthage Texas but would have to take a 12" on 12" branch test along with a 12" 6G Downhill B31.3 but again right now south texas is a bit to far.I am working out of a 1/2 ton truck 1967 SA-200 Long-hood with 3/4 ton springs and would like to convert over to a one ton flat bed dually but need some steady checks.

The work is ot there just finding it.

Good to know north louisianians are on this board also.

Thanks Man.
Steve. @ smrm05@aol.com

tompit9
10-21-2006, 02:29 AM
let me know something about that starter. Please!!!

pipeliner2006
10-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Tom I bought a complete sa-200 short hood machine that needed a starter and valve job so I am having to hold on to the starter and spacer plate.I tested the starter it needs rebuilding.Sorry.

tompit9
10-24-2006, 03:04 AM
where are you out of ? I'm looking for a working amature also.

pipeliner2006
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Hello Tom.

I am from north central louisiana.

tompit9
11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
do you have a spare armature your willing to get rid of? mine burnt up and I'm tring to find one for a reasonable price.

tompit9
11-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Or know any one that would like to gti rid of one?

JohnJohn
11-06-2006, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=pipeliner2006] it does not use oil just leaks the crap out of it.

Anyone know what to put in your oil to SLOW the leaks down? I put that STP crap in mine and it made it leak worse. The bed of my truck is full of oil and I leave my mark everywhere. I plan to replace all the seals when I get some down time and money ( never at the same time). I have an 85 SA-200 that runs well and welds great just leaks oil and a little gas from the carb.
Work is hoppin here in N Texas for pipeliners and rig repairs.

Thanks for your replies,

JohnJohn

pipeliner2006
11-07-2006, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=pipeliner2006] it does not use oil just leaks the crap out of it.

Anyone know what to put in your oil to SLOW the leaks down? I put that STP crap in mine and it made it leak worse. The bed of my truck is full of oil and I leave my mark everywhere. I plan to replace all the seals when I get some down time and money ( never at the same time). I have an 85 SA-200 that runs well and welds great just leaks oil and a little gas from the carb.
Work is hoppin here in N Texas for pipeliners and rig repairs.

Thanks for your replies,

JohnJohn

Lucas oil treatment seems to slow it down.Yes oil leaks can get your bed pretty nasty and anything-else in its way.Hey what part of north Texas are pipeliners booming?Here in North Louisiana pipeliners and pipe fabrication is booming also just getting in on some of it is the deal.

Thanks JohnJohn.

Steve.

JohnJohn
11-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I heard Lucas might slow it down.The hot pipeline areas are Cleburne, Weatherford and Aledo right now. I haven't ventured into the line yet because I'm busy doing rig repairs and structural work. Talked to X ray man the other day said co he was working for (didn't catch the name) required 8 in 6G ( 5p 70+), 2 in 5G ( 5P 70+) and 2 in 5G Low hydrogen. He said you get on with them you can go anywhere, even said inspector watches you hot pass etc to his specs. It was Longhorn Testing but don't know the pipeline co. I also heard another guy say he was on 30" and they were beveling by hand and having hell with root pass ( with a 5/32 ? ). Anyways... I can look around while I'm out and about and see who's hiring if you like. Take care and work safe.

JOHNJOHN

pipeliner2006
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I heard Lucas might slow it down.The hot pipeline areas are Cleburne, Weatherford and Aledo right now. I haven't ventured into the line yet because I'm busy doing rig repairs and structural work. Talked to X ray man the other day said co he was working for (didn't catch the name) required 8 in 6G ( 5p 70+), 2 in 5G ( 5P 70+) and 2 in 5G Low hydrogen. He said you get on with them you can go anywhere, even said inspector watches you hot pass etc to his specs. It was Longhorn Testing but don't know the pipeline co. I also heard another guy say he was on 30" and they were beveling by hand and having hell with root pass ( with a 5/32 ? ). Anyways... I can look around while I'm out and about and see who's hiring if you like. Take care and work safe.

JOHNJOHN

Thanks JohnJohn.

Yes if its no problem see if you can find some connections for me.Beveling by hand has to be pretty close or you will never get a piece of pipe square enough for a nickle wide land for a good even root pass.If beveling by hand the best way is to cut the pipe square and then make a rap-around line right behind the cut and bevel to about a 37 1/2 % degree bevel.Some companies here in louisiana are giving a 2" 6G 7016 LH Open Root all the way out vertical and a 6" 6G 70 + all the way downhill.Some even give a 12" on 12" 90 % degree branch then you have to wash the weld and if you pass it its on to a 12" on 12" 6G 70 + all the way downhill.

Thanks man.
Steve.

JohnJohn
11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Steve,

There putting in a line off 35W near Denton that heads west towards Justin. It looked like 12" from the road. I followed the road until it turned to mud and never saw a soul. All the pipe is layed on the ground but no dunnage to be seen. It looked like about 6-8 miles from what I saw. I' ll ask around tommorrow. What's that 7016 like? I can handle all the downhill pipe welding and can run 7018 uphill good on steel but that first quarter ( 6:30 to 3:00 ) just eats my lunch on pipe. Need to practice I guess. I'd love to weld pipe all the time but It doesn't hurt to be diversified. I'll let you know if I find out who's hiring.

Take care,
JOHNJOHN

pipeliner2006
11-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks JohnJohn.

Yes uphill pipe welding and downhill pipe welding are two different worlds.Also the 7016 LH Sucks.

You take care to.
Steve.

JohnJohn
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey Steve,

Pumpco is putting in a 16" line near Denton and they also have a 12" and 24" going on in the area. I talked to a man named William Picket @ 979.716.9063. He said the test is on the pipe size your welding and it was procedure 1104 B in a 5G, 6G and branch if fabrication is required. He said he would call me back when he knew about test times or sites. I didn't ask about pay or per diem. You can call him and he will get you in the right direction. Good luck.

JohnJohn

pipeliner2006
11-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the info JohnJohn.

Steve.

billie_
11-09-2006, 06:02 PM
i have seen some of them 200 amp machines you guys are talking about melt off the coils on the bottom....the dirt and dust gets in there and covers the bottom coil...it gets hot and melts off.....clean it once in a while it will save you big bucks